+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Just Can't Let It Go...

Just Can't Let It Go...

Well, this will be a boring story, but you can rest easy that it's at least a short one.

I went to the gas station earlier tonight. My husband had asked me to pick up a pack of cigarettes for him while I was there. I myself smoked for seven years and haven't smoked for three years as of the 26th of this month. I'll never go back to smoking. My husband isn't even allowed to smoke in the house. My lovely daughter is the inspiration for that. However, I do cheat once or twice a year and have about half a cigarette. A strategy I wouldn't recommend for most former smokers, but it seems to work for me.

Anyway, when I got the cigarettes and headed out to the car, I decided I wanted to have one. My car doesn't have a cigarette lighter, only accessory outlets. So, you might be wondering how someone who hasn't smoked for three years lit a cigarette. The answer is that I still carry a lighter. I ALWAYS have one in my purse. I have no idea why. I just can't seem to stop carrying one even though I never use it.

The point of all of this is that we have a thread for clothing you can't throw out, so what about everything else? Anything you keep around that you don't really have a use for anymore, but you can't bear to part with?
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

Ok, this is probably not really what Star is talking about, but it's the only thing I can think of at the moment. Men, you might want to just skip this one.
    A few weeks ago at work, the underwire on one side of my bra decided to poke out of the cloth that encases it. Tired of it stabbing me, I went to the bathroom and just pulled the whole wire out. They don't lie when they call it wire, it was seriously a stick of metal. So I'm standing there with this U-shaped metal thing in my hand, and I think vaguely, "Hm, this might come in handy for something sometime." So I carry it with me back to my desk. Why? What did I think I would EVER use it for? Some bit of a found-object sculpture? I don't know! But it's STILL THERE. Because the janitor who empties our trashcans has a tendency to just pull things out of the can and put them in his dumpster, instead of just taking the bag. So I don't want him pulling out this underwire! Gah! I don't know what to do with it now.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

That's close enough Lucy.

I thought of another thing I always keep. Shampoos and other amenities from hotels. I have a drawer full of them. WTH? I never use them. I'm sure they would be handy traveling, if it wasn't for the fact that I always bring my own shampoo and I always stay in hotels which have more little shampoos. So, I have like 50 shampoos I'll never use.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

Star, I have a row of shampoo bottles lining my shower -- all half-empty and then abandoned as I move on to a new and different one. I haven't used some of them in months yet I never throw them out.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

I have a ton of old horse show trophies, some as much as 3 feet tall, in boxes taking up half of my spare bedroom. I don't have room to display them in this small house, so they really need to go. I also have enough bridles, brushes, etc. to outfit a small riding stable, and yet I haven't owned a horse in five years.
    That's besides all the other crap I accumulate. I've got a week off the first of May, and I'm swearing that I'll spend one entire day loading the back of my truck with useless (or unused) stuff to be hauled away, even if it's still usable. I sure hope I can follow through on this plan, we shall see what happens!
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

FORT Newbie
    Music - CDs, tapes, records etc. I have kept everyone that I have bought since 1985 (I did sell a bunch of old vinyl stuff once or twice due to financial pressures in my youth and later when I realised I wasn't playing it anymore). So I suppose CDs are the main thing. I have thousands of the them and for the most part they've all been played a lot - at a particular time in my life. There are some that I played all the time in the mid 80s that I hardly ever play now - but I cannot bring myself to get rid of them. As a consequence I have a room at home where the walls are covered in shelving for the CDs.

My wife on the other hand reads a lot and has a lot of books - but is much better at getting rid of the ones she has read and doesn't intend (or need) to read again.

I do have 3 stuffed unicorns from an old boyfriend. I gave them to the kids so they are pretty beat up and while we were weeding out stuffed animals to give to charity, I made sure to slip my 3 unicorns in the keep pile. Why? I don't know. I got rid of the boyfriend 22 years ago, but I guess I like his unicorns.
    I could go east, I could go west, it was all up to me to decide. Just then I saw a young hawk flyin' and my soul began to rise. ~Bob Seger

I still have a big box of stuffed animals from when I was a child! Let's just say they're 30+ years old....I can't bear to get rid of them for some reason, so they just sit in a box in the closet...
    It was me. I let the dogs out.

I still wear this bracelet that my "ex" made me, you know those friendship sort of bracelets, where you have to cut it off, if you want to remove it. Haven't taken it off for two years now.... like your thread title states "just can't let it go"... but yeah i've so moved on from her, but not the bracelet....

I still have all the corsages from all my symphony concerts and formal dances in junior high and high school. I love fresh flowers, so when I got them I couldn't bear to throw them away. I hung them upside down to dry and put them back in the plastic wrapper and into a shoebox.

Every time I move, I swear I'm gonna toss them, but I can never bring myself to do it.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast