+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Thread: Best/Worst Present You've Ever Gotten

Quote Originally Posted by GrammarGoddess
    Oh no no no...it's ok! Any memory of my gramma is a good one. I just forgot about Ferdinand. Touching that cow was SOOOOOO forbidden. Of course, so was flushing a whole carton of her cigarettes down the toilet as well as taking her glasses home with me because I thought I looked cool in specs.

I have to thread-jack here for just a moment because my gramma is the COOLEST ever. Once she and my grandpa and uncle were on the river camping/fishing for the weekend. Gramps and uncle were way upstream fishing and Gramma was taking a swim. This deer apparently decided she was invading his territory and started stalking her in the river...it was like attacking her!! She ended up grabbing a big ole piece of driftwood and literally clubbed it to death. My grandma and uncle came back to see her dragging it onshore and helped her gut it, etc. Hunting season, however, didn't start until midnight that night, so at midnight my uncle drove to the store in Boyd to get a hunting license so they wouldn't get into trouble.

When I go home in June, I'll have to get the picture and scan it...there's Gramma standing on the river bank in her 50's 2-piece boy-cut swimsuit next to her gutted deer being held open with a piece of wood.
    Wow, isnt it amazing to hear grandparents stories....gotta love it!

Quote Originally Posted by dagwood
    Grandparents give interesting gifts, don't they? Mine gave the kids money until they got married then they got money and "gifts". My one married year I got $$, gardening gloves, soap and a summer sausage. Gotta love grandpa.

My paternal Grandma and Grandpa were like that - not really affluent, so they gave things they already had or could get for little money. But they were always thoughtful and prized. I have a couple of pins my Grandma gave me - kind of tacky iridescent maple leaf pins, and I've never worn them but I keep them because she gave them to me with love.

My maternal Grandparents always spoiled us - they usually gave us money. When my Grandpa was alive, they would take us on trips and spoil us rotten. My Grandma also made quilts for every one of her grandchildren (I've got a couple that are really special to me). Last birthday, my grandma sent me a card with a five dollar bill in it. It just about made me cry, it was so sweet. The card had a sunflower on it. The sentiment in the card said something like "It's a pleasure to know you and wish you a happy birthday" She wrote that it was "kind of formal and stuffy, but sunflowers always remind me of you". She's a such a darling lady.

My grandfather gives most of us grandchildren sweatshirts from Wal-mart for Christmas. Every year. He's a horrible shopper; my mother used to do the Christmas shopping for my grandmother's gift because my grandfather was so bad at it. One year he got my grandmother a globe (this is a woman who rarely left home and had no interest in the world at large). And another year he got her plastic barrettes and a fishing pole (no, she did not fish).
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

Oh here's another one. Shampoo and all that conditioner crap. I mean sure for a chick, they like that sort of stuff, all that lotion junk and all :rolleyes but yeah, I remember one of my female-friends, gave me a small hamper with lotion, shampoo, soaps ... weird... dind't like it at all... but of course i didn't tell her that. I'm thinking maybe somebody gave that to her, and she couldn't fine me anything else, oh well... i guess the "thought" was there...

hmmm wonder what she thinks of me?

I've gotten many great presents, the best one was probably a hockey jersey when I was in secondary 3, it was like the world had been given to me~lol

My husband gives me great gifts all the time. I'm not hard to please at all.

The wrost gift would probably be an engagement gift from my aunt. It was this fake flower thingy that looked like she just picked it up at the dollar store and brought it. I know it's the thought that counts but....

Best present i've ever gotten...I like to think more of the whole story behind it. Me and my GF were just hanging around the shopping mall, and this was like 3 years ago..

when i use to wear Hugo Boss a whole lot, and here it's not that cheap, i just wanted HUgo Blue which cost around $130. for a bottle, that would probably last me what...3-5 months. Anyhow... i wanted one, but was short on cash, so was like what the heck, i don't HAVE to have it, even though i really really really wanted it.

My GF, the next day comes to me, with a small box, gift wrapped in sucha nice wrapping and all. and what was it? not only the bottle, but the whole set and all. I mean i'm not looking at the money point of view, the fact that she saw it, and went out striaght and bought it...

Awwwww.....

lol

definitely one of the best present i've gotten

Quote Originally Posted by Aptly_Named
    My Grandma also made quilts for every one of her grandchildren (I've got a couple that are really special to me). Last birthday, my grandma sent me a card with a five dollar bill in it. It just about made me cry, it was so sweet. The card had a sunflower on it. The sentiment in the card said something like "It's a pleasure to know you and wish you a happy birthday" She wrote that it was "kind of formal and stuffy, but sunflowers always remind me of you". She's a such a darling lady.
    I have a quilt my grandma made. She made each of us one, too...but the one she made me when I was a kid fell apart from too much use. When she died, I kept a quilt she had made for the back bedroom. It is very special to me.

The day before my grandpa died (Easter) he gave all the kids a card with 5 dollars. They were made out of ads that you get in the mail (mine was on a book club mailer) but that was grandpa. Mine said that I was a good mom and he was proud of the way I was raising my daughter. He also handed out graduation presents...we still wonder if maybe he knew that he would be gone the next day. I still get misty thinking about that card.
    He who laughs last thinks slowest

#oldmanbeatdown - Donny BB16

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567