+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Best/Worst Present You've Ever Gotten

A couple Christmas's ago, I spent a nice chunk of change on my girlfriend: foo-foo stuff at Victoria Secret's, gift certificate for massage and manicure/pedicure.

I got a handscribbled message in pencil on her work stationary that said she owed me a dinner. I am by no means into the materialistic aspect of gift giving, but it seemed like such an afterthought, almost that she just remembered while on her way home from work. I should've won an Oscar for the surprised/ elated performance I gave that night.
    You got to cry without weeping. Talk without speaking. Scream without raising your voice.- U2

Well...one year my grandma gave me a cookie jar for Christmas, which in and of itself wasn't bad. It looked, however, like a bad caricature of Mammy from Gone With The Wind. Neither my then-spouse nor I could figure out if there was some sort of symbolism behind "Mammy", or if grandma really liked it when she saw it...or, since grandma was tethered to an oxygen tank, she slipped my step-aunt (who can't stand any relatives on grandma's side) the credit card and asked her to do the Christmas shopping.

My sister was given a nightdress by her MIL. It was the sort of thing your granny would wear if she was 70+. My sister took it back to the shop to try to get it changed . The shop assistant couldn't find it on the computer. It was bought at least 4 years before. Needless to say my sister was none too pleased and vowed to buy her MIL crappy presents from now on!

FORT Fogey
    My sister was given a bright orange screwdriver by our grandma one year... she had no idea what to say

One of my friends gave me a pair of earrings for my 18th birthday. Little plastic Lisa Simpson dangly earrings. Now I like the Simpsons just as much as anyone else, but.... they were SO tacky. Funny thing was, I didn't and still do not have pierced ears. I was too nice to point that out, of course. I think I gave them to my little sister when I got home.

I guess if that's the worst present I've ever received, I'm not doing too badly.

Quote Originally Posted by GrammarGoddess
    Well...one year my grandma gave me a cookie jar for Christmas, which in and of itself wasn't bad. It looked, however, like a bad caricature of Mammy from Gone With The Wind. Neither my then-spouse nor I could figure out if there was some sort of symbolism behind "Mammy", or if grandma really liked it when she saw it...or, since grandma was tethered to an oxygen tank, she slipped my step-aunt (who can't stand any relatives on grandma's side) the credit card and asked her to do the Christmas shopping.

Perhaps it was a collectable she wanted to pass down, some of those cookie jars can be worth quite a bit of money

Quote Originally Posted by Wisconsinswede
    Perhaps it was a collectable she wanted to pass down, some of those cookie jars can be worth quite a bit of money
    Ohhhhh...no...the collectible cookie jar was Ferdinand, an antique brown cow. That I dropped. And broke. And grandma cried. I forgot about Ferdinand. Maybe "Mammy" was a punishment. The box definitely indicated it came from the dollar store.

Grandma made sure every grandkid had a present, no matter how small or ummm...tacky. God, don't strike me dead for calling my grandma's presents tacky! Really, in all honesty, she was my best friend and I miss her terribly.

I looooooooooooooove you gramma!!!

Quote Originally Posted by GrammarGoddess
    And grandma cried. I forgot about Ferdinand. Maybe "Mammy" was a punishment.

I'm really happy I got to drudge up memories of making your grandmother cry...(Takes foot out)

Quote Originally Posted by Wisconsinswede
    I'm really happy I got to drudge up memories of making your grandmother cry...(Takes foot out)
    Oh no no no...it's ok! Any memory of my gramma is a good one. I just forgot about Ferdinand. Touching that cow was SOOOOOO forbidden. Of course, so was flushing a whole carton of her cigarettes down the toilet as well as taking her glasses home with me because I thought I looked cool in specs.

I have to thread-jack here for just a moment because my gramma is the COOLEST ever. Once she and my grandpa and uncle were on the river camping/fishing for the weekend. Gramps and uncle were way upstream fishing and Gramma was taking a swim. This deer apparently decided she was invading his territory and started stalking her in the river...it was like attacking her!! She ended up grabbing a big ole piece of driftwood and literally clubbed it to death. My grandma and uncle came back to see her dragging it onshore and helped her gut it, etc. Hunting season, however, didn't start until midnight that night, so at midnight my uncle drove to the store in Boyd to get a hunting license so they wouldn't get into trouble.

When I go home in June, I'll have to get the picture and scan it...there's Gramma standing on the river bank in her 50's 2-piece boy-cut swimsuit next to her gutted deer being held open with a piece of wood.

Grandparents give interesting gifts, don't they? Mine gave the kids money until they got married then they got money and "gifts". My one married year I got $$, gardening gloves, soap and a summer sausage. Gotta love grandpa.
    He who laughs last thinks slowest

#oldmanbeatdown - Donny BB16

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast