+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Second Languages

FORT Fogey

Second Languages

I was just wondering how many of the people on the FORT have a second language. Since I'm from Canada, I had compulsory French courses to take in school, and I learned French fairly well, although I'm not fluent in it. After my trip to Mexico, I have been teaching myself Spanish, and I am actually picking it up fairly easily. Anyone else learned any second languages? Or maybe English is your second language? If so what was your first language? What about third/fourth/fifth, etc... languages?

I can't say whether Spanish is my first or second language. It's the first language I learned, but I'm definitely more proficient in English at this point. I know a smattering of French and Italian as well.
    " I look like Nigella Lawson with a $#*!ing hangover."

I would have to say Spanglish since I learned both, English and Spanish at the same time. However, I enjoy speaking spanish more than english.

I've been trying to learn French, but I skipped a few sessions from a 2 month course that I had signed up. Speaking french is definitley one my items on the list of things to do before I die.

Dex
    Since I'm Singaporean Chinese, Mandarin is my 2nd language.
    I took French for a year but... due to the lack of practice, have forgotten almost everything
    Bollocks to your pompous hiney! -makerc

I'm originally from Singapore myself, and Cantonese was my first language. It's fading away, now that my grandmother is gone (God bless her), and I have no one to practice with, except maybe the waiter and some characters in Hong Kong action films I watch.

English was my second language, and while I am not knocking the good taxpayers of California who helped pay for my ability to write, read and speak English as well as I do, my brother and I often laugh about how long we were kept in ESL (English as a Second Language). By the end of it, we like to say, we were better in English than native-born speakers in our classrooms.

We like to joke that by the end, we sounded like: "I say, about which topics do you think the lecturer will discuss with us today, wot?"

Oh, and I learned two years of high school French. I never thought it would be one of those things I would use, ever...until the college trip to England included a weekender to Paris. Amazing how much high school French you remember when you're surrounded by French and you better remember, real quick, to say "I'd like some bread" or "Where is the train, please?".

Then I lived in Montreal a few years, and of course, had plenty o' chances there to sharpen up ma francais. If someone were to put a gun to my head today, I could probably converse in French (or say, "Please don't put a gun to my head.").
    Last edited by phat32; 04-24-2004 at 12:57 PM. Reason: ETA: the stuff at the end about those surrender monkeys
    "...Every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things donít always soften the bad things, but...the bad things donít always spoil the good things." - The Doctor

My first language is English, but have taken classes in Spanish and Latin (if that counts as a language). Most of my family speaks German so I have been picking that up since I was a little kid.

FORT Fogey
    J'adore parler francais. C'est tres cool. Mais, mes amies parlent espagnol, et je ne peux pas parler avec elles. Je veux aller a Paris et voir La Tour Eiffel. Je parle aussi un peu de allemand

(translated- I love speaking French. It's very cool. But, my friends speak spanish and I can't talk with them. I want to go to Paris and see the Eiffel Tower. I also speak a little German)

Nerds Just Wanna Have Fun Boredom's Avatar
    I hablo english y espanol. English es mi primero language, and spanish is my second language.

Yep, that's about it. Sorry for subjecting you to pretty bad spanglish

Dex
    Quote Originally Posted by pinkieparrot
    J'adore parler francais. C'est tres cool. Mais, mes amies parlent espagnol, et je ne peux pas parler avec elles. Je veux aller a Paris et voir La Tour Eiffel. Je parle aussi un peu de allemand

(translated- I love speaking French. It's very cool. But, my friends speak spanish and I can't talk with them. I want to go to Paris and see the Eiffel Tower. I also speak a little German)
    I am very proud to say that I understood what you wrote without looking at the translation
    Bollocks to your pompous hiney! -makerc

can i have your heart? unexplained's Avatar
    pinkie. Nicely written french.

My first language is Malay. But I speak more English than my Mother tongue.
    I'm planning to learn Arab.
    Last edited by unexplained; 04-24-2004 at 02:10 PM.
    You select the person you want to be with, and then you let that person have the opportunity to select you. -Shayla

"The mind is its own place, and in it, self can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n." -John Milton, Paradise Lost.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast