+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Second Languages

Premium Member Yeti Long Shot: Porpoheus Champion
    I'm practically fluent in typo.

Quote Originally Posted by J.D.
    I'm practically fluent in typo.
    Good one JD!

Good thread... I know some French, but would love to learn more someday. Would also like to learn American Sign Language, which I'm hoping to start on in the next couple years.

My first language is English. Actually, that's the only language I'm fluent in. I know some Spanish, mostly the bits and pieces I remember from high school. It came in handy when I was in Spain several years ago. My mom is fluent in Cantonese, but she never taught me how to speak it, and I wish she did.

Premium Member Yeti Long Shot: Porpoheus Champion
    I studied German for a couple of years - wwaaayyyy back when, and it came to me very easily. In college I tried French, I just couldn't get it. I would ask the prof to translate the words into English (word for word, I wanted to understand the tense and gender differences), but he acted like he had no idea what I meant. After withdrawing from the class twice, I opted for Latin and breezed right through. What's up with French, and why is it so difficult? (or is it just me?)

English is my first language and I did pick up British-English when I visited England complete with accent. (anyone fancy some bangers and mash?) I understand and speak Tagalog (northern Philippines) with a very bad American accent. I don't consider myself fluent enough to call it a second language though. Since Tagalog is partially derived from Spanish I picked up Spanish quickly. I married a Laotian (Laos is between Thailand and Vietnam for those who aren't familiar) and am now picking up conversational Laotian. Also, Laotian is partially derived from Thai so I can understand menus in Thai restaurants. I also learned a bit of sign language but haven't used it often enough and am afraid may have forgotten it. (Although I find myself signing what I say sometimes, mostly subliminal signing.)

most understood signage in ASL

My first language is English, and I'm most fluent in it. Being a Chinese Singaporean, I had to learn Mandarin in school, so that's my second language. I plan on learning French soon. Looks like there are quite a few people here who are multi-lingual.
    'A fanatic is someone who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.' - Winston Churchill

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345