+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Children's health/food/exercise

The cultural difference must extend to Canada, in the '70's at least we ALWAYS changed for gym class (which in elementary was every day) and had to perform standardized fitness testing a couple of times a year. (Dux, if you're out there, you must remember that...the dreaded flex arm hang ).
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Quote Originally Posted by FinallyHere
    One of the reasons that they never actually pull them from the schools is the fact that they are good money makers.
    This is the root of this issue. In many areas school budgets are not adequate to provide the quality of education that the educators deem acceptable. I am completely in favor of removal of vending machines from schools, but only if an alternative method is found to compensate the schools for the lost revenue. I doubt there is a school administrator anywhere that actually believed that putting candy and sodas in schools was a healthy thing. They were forced into this situation because there simply isn't enough funding to run the schools, and the voters refused to grant more. I personally would much rather have both a coke machine in the cafeteria, and books in the school library than neither.
    I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I intended to be. Douglas Adams
    Life... is like a grapefruit. It's orange and squishy, and has a few pips in it, and some folks have half a one for breakfast. Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by averagejane
    had to perform standardized fitness testing a couple of times a year. (Dux, if you're out there, you must remember that...the dreaded flex arm hang ).
    Same in Finland. There were tons of standardized fitness tests; how far you could stretch, how many situps you could make, swimming, running... Especially the Cooper's test, running for 12 minutes on track (as far as you possibly can), was the dreaded one. Some torture at times if you ask me now
    ps. This is just my opinion in the matter.

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by Tirlittan
    Same in Finland. There were tons of standardized fitness tests; how far you could stretch, how many situps you could make, swimming, running... Especially the Cooper's test, running for 12 minutes on track (as far as you possibly can), was the dreaded one. Some torture at times if you ask me now
    We had similar things too in the U.S., it was called the "Presidents Physical Fitness Testing" or something...it was so long ago I forget the exact name. But it wasnt too difficult to pass. And once you did you got a certificate and a really neato patch that we used to sew on our blue jeans jackets, right next to our 'Welcome Back Kotter' "Up your nose with a rubber hose", "Me and My RC" and "STP" patches. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Tirlittan
    In my opinion, seeing the results on tests like those can make someone push themselves a bit further to do better, as it was with me, but in other cases, they simply don't care.
    Gustav Holst was right!

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by haejin
    In my opinion, seeing the results on tests like those can make someone push themselves a bit further to do better, as it was with me, but in other cases, they simply don't care.
    Absolutely, kids love praise and a sense of accomplishment.

Which leads me to a bit of a side-bar point.

So many times now-a-days when kids get into little league baseball and soccer, they dont even follow many of the traditional rules anymore, by that I mean they often dont count outs and everyone bats around every inning, they dont keep score, there is no winner or loser etc.

The people that are in favor of these modernized changes say its about giving the kids a spirtit of team/group accomplishment and a sense of individual accomplishment, but yet the kids dont need to do anything but showing up. So how is that giving them a sense of team play and accomplishment?

At the end of the season everyone gets a trophy, and heck, they usually all get the same sized trophy regardless of how the team fared even in the leagues where scores and records are kept.

I can agree with that to a point, but I still think scores should be kept and the rules of the game should be maintained - otherwise, how do you gaugue your progress? There are winners and losers in life, business, sports etc.

So I am in favor of not putting too much pressure on the kids to win and perform at their best level - especially the younger kids just starting out - but I dont think there is anything wrong with sticking to the rules and keeping score, counting wins and losses and providing the best teams with the best prizes. That is how life works.

Quote Originally Posted by averagejane
    The cultural difference must extend to Canada, in the '70's at least we ALWAYS changed for gym class (which in elementary was every day) and had to perform standardized fitness testing a couple of times a year. (Dux, if you're out there, you must remember that...the dreaded flex arm hang ).
    I remember it well!! I once had the school record, in grade 6 I hung for 93 seconds.. and I think Gold was 30 seconds. The one I hated the most was the shuttle run closely followed by the endurance run .. bronze every time LOL.
    With the amount of time our kids spend in front of the tv/computer/xbox what have you.. they really really need 'enforced' PE. Obesity levels continue to rise in Canada and the US and it's really a sad state of affairs.
    We didn't change for gym class until grade 7 and my personal theory on this is that 1) our main teacher was also our PE teacher - we only had a different teacher for French class and Library Science (which I think was a cover for teacher coffee break) It would have been hard for him/her to control what was happening in the change rooms 2) gym time was precious there were 10 classes sharing the gym so if you wasted time changing the time really was wasted. 3) I don't remember sweating all that much.. then again I didn't work hard and I 'forgot' my gym shoes as often as I could

Our kids just need to get out and get active again. Kids of our generation left home in the morning and we were expected home for supper. With the way that society has deteriorated we're scared to death to send our kids out to play without us. The less time we working/single parents have the less time we have to spend with our kids... I'd rather spend the time I do have snuggling than taking a walk.

I SO agree with the mandatory walk thing .. I LOVE that idea!

Our kids need to get moving!
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

at the same time it can make those of us who are not physically inclined feel even worse than we already do.
    I say get out and get active for the sake of getting active.

MHayes it truly is a sad situation that schools are having to make a choice between keeping the vending machines or stocking the library. I wish there was a better way.
    I was on the Student Council in highschool and the vending machine money went towards dances and extra-curricular stuff not anything as important (IMO) as books and art supplies
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

Or, some push it too far. I had a PE teacher who decided to run us only for a half Cooper because in previous school she had two girls who run themselves to hospital condition (in full Cooper). Hard to fathom why/how they did it, but they certainly scared the teacher for good. Personally I (also) was one of the people who did better in tests than normal class.
    ps. This is just my opinion in the matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Duxxy
    There are just so many things that can be said about this issue.
    My daughter is 4 and she's never had a sip of soda. It's not part of the Canada food guide, it has no nutritional value and therefore is unnecessary. It has no place in our schools.
    Yes, as parents it is our responsibility to teach our kids how to make healthy choices. As parents we guide our children and then set them free on the world, hoping for the best.
    I'd say yes take the vending machines out and bring in machines that offer healthy choices. 100% juice and water instead of soda. Take the snack food out of the machines and offer fruit or snacks made with whole grains, yogurt and puddings.
    I really hate to refer to Dr. Phil but ... by leaving the temptations in the school it sets the kids up for sabotage. It won't prevent them from eating the crap at home but it will control it for the 40 hrs or so a week that they are in school. Ideally parents can control their intake while they are home.

It wouldn't be the cure-all but it sure would help. As for the teens... some of them make their own money, if they want it they will just buy it, hopefully they've been taught to make healthy choices before they enter high school.

Physical activity is very important and belongs in our schools. It goes hand in hand with all of the other subjects (including art and music - which are also being cut) to turning out well- rounded people. It's a crying shame that these things that will benefit our kids the most are being left by the wayside.

I agree with everything you have said and I will teach my kids the best I can about nutrition. My 2 year old had her 1st mini chocolate egg this Easter and gets some ice cream (1 tsp) from time to time. That's enough junk food for now. I really hope my kids will have good eating habits later on. I make sure to make my 2 year old run around atleast 1/2 an hour a day.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast