+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Unscientific poll: School Uniforms

Unscientific poll: School Uniforms

Do you agree with School Uniforms?

Do you think it promotes harmony or strips individuality?
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

I happen to be a fan, I wish that our public schools did have school uniforms. It seems that it might take some of the fuel out of the clique/bully fire.
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

In N.Ireland school uniform is the norm. In Primary schools it's usually quite informal, sweatshirts, poloshirts, trousers and skirts. In post primary schools it is compulsory. You get a list of what is permitted. In grammar schools you have to get specific items from specific shops. It can be very,very expensive. The kids look really smart and it stops competitiveness about who has the latest fashion.

FORT Fogey
    Very, very good question. I think it can be a double-edged sword.

On the one hand, school uniforms can be necc in areas where gangs are prevalant and the school feels the need to make sure that "colors" arent worn to school.

School uniforms can also help low income families because they take away the pressure of "what to wear" and downplay the class sysytem (ie: the rich kids are all dressed in the latest fashion and the poor kid gets ridiculed because he/she only has a few outfits).

But at the same time, it CAN take away the individualism that is an extremly important element of normal adolescent developement.

I never had to wear a school uniform growing up so I dont have any first hand knowledge. I can easily see both sides of the coin.

Funny this topic should come up . . .our school system is doing a survey right now of parents to see how we feel about it - obviously because they are considering it.

My daughter is a freshman in High School, and you can imagine how very much she is against school uniforms. She uses the same rational you do, Daddio, when she says it takes away from their individualism . . .and I likewise use your rational as well in saying that it will downplay the class system/peer pressure that is so prevalent. I guess that doesn't seem as important to the kids as being able to express themselves . . . but unfortunately there are those kids who are cruel and don't express themselves appropriately when it comes to feeling superior by what they wear.

Who knows if our school system will adopt it . . . but I certainly support it.
    I don't have OCD, I have CDO. It's like OCD except that the letters are in alphabetical order like they should be!

My sister's kids go to Catholic schools with uniforms... What she likes:

The kids don't have to think about what they're wearing when they get up... Very easy... "Do I wear the Plaid Jumper with the White Shirt?" or the "White Shirt with the Plaid Jumper?"

She's also convinced it's cheaper... Not only has she been handing them down, swapping with other parents and such... She's convinced it's cheaper because the other way, you have to buy more clothes to have variety and keep up with trends...

In the High School they have a strict dress code that has very specific guidelines... No patch pocket, collared shirts, skirt length guidelines... That's VERY expensive...
    Ingorance killed the Cat... Curiousity was framed!

on vacation
    My son is past the age of school uniforms but I think I would be in favor of them. Mostly because of the fact that so many schools have dress codes now that it becomes a game to try and get around them. I suppose you could try this too if uniforms were required but I don't think it would be as difficult as screening what kids wear without uniforms.

If you think about the rules that exist now about hats and hoodies and backpacks in school, having kids all have to wear the same outfit would eliminate some of the problem. As far as it hindering their individuality, I disagree with that. If you are defined by what you wear, then kids don't realize but they are actually being defined by their parent's income level or strictness/leniency.
    Memo from God

I am God. Today I will be handling all of your problems. Please remember that I do not need your help.

I've never given it much thought, but like Daddio, I can see positives and negatives of mandating that students wear uniforms. From a strictly emotional point of view I'd say, no I don't like the idea. I wouldn't have been happy about it when I was in school.
    Some people are like slinkies, they're useless until you push them down the stairs.

If a person feels that his/her clothing is the benchmark for "individualism," then he/she doesn't really possess individuality. I have met very interesting characters that wear uniforms. Uniform-wearing makes the extraordinary kids stand out big time. Strip away designer clothing and snobbish attitudes from some, and they are left with nothing but their shallowness. Oh, by the way, I like the idea of uniforms.
    Paintin' the Town Blue!

Nuh-uh, me no likey. I can certainly see the upside to it, cheaper for parents and no problem deciding what to wear every morning. But like Daddio said, I hate the idea of not letting a kid express themselves as an individual (and clothes are a big part of that, IMO). As far as kids getting teased about clothes, though, I've known girls (I say girls 'cause boys just don't care about clothes as much) that have gone to private schools that require uniforms, and if they can't tease each other about their clothes, they find something else. The nature of the teenage she-beast.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast