+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Unscientific poll: School Uniforms

Premium Member Yeti Long Shot: Porpoheus Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Duxxy
    isn't it funny that you voluntarily wear a uniform now?

Thanks, Duxxy. That's exactly what I wanted to say. Why go from uniform to suit? My opinion (fwiw) - run free children. I also think it helps the kids learn about boundaries and what is socially acceptable rather than having it forced on them.

I like the idea of school uniforms. There should be choices in those uniforms though. If your child likes the pleated shirt and mine likes the A frame skirt but they are both blue and cost the same then they each get their style and no one is hurt. I think the idea that a child is limited artistically by a uniform is silly. Apply that creativity to the school work and see how much more you get out of school. Once school is recognized as a place to learn and not a fashion show, then the kids will be free to open up their minds and learn and not be stiffled by thoughts of inadequate fashion. The benefits of having school uniforms far outweigh the downfalls. If a child is truely creative then they will find ways to express it. If they are challenged to do so, then they benefit even more.
    It occurred to me that no matter how bleak things might seem at times, at least I have a head. ----Stargazer

My kids wear a uniform for Catholic school, that I am very happy with. Parental convenience my be trivial for kids, but lets see them set out clothes for 4 children every night before bed. I have built up a collection of 15 blue polo-style shirts with the school logo on them, for the 3 boys, and they are all currently wearing the same size, YM. They also have khaki pants. My daughter is the only one I can't just grab a shirt from the pile for. When she starts K in the fall, she will wear a jumper and white shirt.

At my sister's kids' school, the uniform is made up from a selection of coordinates that are all purchased at the uniform store--for instance a few styles and colors of shirt; khaki pants, skirt, jumper, skort, or shorts; sweatshirt, sweater, or jacket. So, the creative kids can mix and match.

Up Where They Belong SurvivorGirl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ineedalife
    I was thinking about this some more and I thought I'd add, I've encountered both "strict" cookie cutter uniform policies where all children have to wear the same thing (which is dull) and a flexible uniform policy. My son's current school has a flexible "uniform" policy which is to offer multiple styles and choices. They have 3 different colored polo style shirts they can choose from, a spirit t-shirt on Friday's (with jeans) as well as a button down denim shirt. The pants are 2 colors to mix and match from. I love the flexibility and they're not made to feel like they are wearing the same thing every day.
    My school has a kinda strict and a kinda flexible uniform policy. The girls have a choice between skirts and pants (I think you know what most of us choose to wear.) and if you don't want to wear the regular sweater, you can wear a sweatshirt with the school's name and logo on it.

Premium Member Yeti Long Shot: Porpoheus Champion
    Okay. This is a big issue for me (obviously) even though my kids are long out of school. But I don't want to state my opinion and refuse to hear anyone else's side. Just so I understand: the uniforms are to help children focus more on academics than on fashion (style/fad, et al.), right? And the side effect of easy maintenance is a bonus, okay, cool. I always believed that "school" (not the building but the concept) was a place for young children to learn and grow and develop. And that "schooling" is the process of teaching the children how to learn, grow and develop, academically, as well as socially. Does wearing a uniform help/hurt little Timmy academically/socially? Maybe that's a moot point by now because what I've read in here so far is about how the kids don't mind it so much, and the parents love it. And, since I've been out of that loop for so long, I didn't realize the kids were given so many comfortable options.

I understand your points - if my assessment above is correct. And it seems valid to me. I'm convinced.

Thanks for all the input and civil ( ) conversation. So, let's get down to the JCPenny store and buy us some knee socks.
    Last edited by J.D.; 04-24-2004 at 06:39 AM.

From the corner of my eye Jewelsy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BamaFabulous
    I know that anyone who ever attended a parochial school can feel me.
    Catholic school girl here. I feel your pain, Bama.
    "Among the blind, the squinter rules." ~ Gerard Didier Erasmus

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345