+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Unscientific poll: School Uniforms

I personally think school uniforms suck.

I don't mind uniforms, as long as they make it comfortable.

Here in Singapore, it is compulsory to wear school uniforms from kindergarten right up to the local equivalent of high school. As a student myself, I personally think that school uniforms are alright. At least, I don't feel the pressure to pretty myself up before going to school each morning. The rules in my school are really strict though. We even have to wear the official school socks, which has the school crest on it.
    'A fanatic is someone who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.' - Winston Churchill

Premium Member Yeti Long Shot: Porpoheus Champion

nonono

Although my daughters are grown and I don't have to worry about it, but my daughters will, obviously. The issue was discussed many times when my girls where in school, and a few districts did impose uniforms.

I adamantly oppose school uniforms. I believe that going to school (as opposed to home schooling) teaches children valuable social skills, interactive skills and problem solving skills, also communication skills. I would split academics vs. socialization at 50:50. I want my kids to be able to express their creative and artistic side, whether it's in hair, dress, or drawing, painting or writing. I don't like uniforms. Even the name suggest how wrong the whole idea is. Do we want to send our children off to school every day in a uniform? Teach them uniform ideas? I think the whole concept erases the entire artistic side of the child's brain. I'm not blaming the uniform, obviously. I'm blaming the uniform idea. What happens after they finish high school? They go off to a job where they get to wear what? A uniform. I'd love to hear others' sides or opinions. This is very interesting. I'm going on and making my point on a creative issue. What are some other issues? More opinions!

eta: individuality is not the same as creativity.
    Last edited by J.D.; 04-22-2004 at 05:15 AM.

Premium Member Yeti Long Shot: Porpoheus Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by ineedalife
    School is only part of their daily life and I think to some extent, conformity with guidelines like a uniform prepare them for what it might be like in the corporate environment (i.e. you typically can't get away with "extreme"looks in a corporate environment). By day, you can be a different person than you are by night.

I borrowed this quote only to strengthen my point, I'm not attacking anyone here. I understand the thinking that the uniform will prepare child for a lifetime of suits. (Ineeda wrote it so much better than I ever could, hence the quote) So, if my kids are going to have to wear uniforms the rest of their lives, why not let them have a little fun while still in school?

The majority of all public schools and all private schools in Oz have uniforms. Personally, I loved them since my parents couldn't afford the latest fashions. I used to hate free dress days where we could go to school dressed in whatever you liked cause I had such a crappy wardrobe, so I would turn up in my uniform.

Other than the fact uniforms are cheap, convienent etc, I think a big advantage is that it promotes the school image and identity. Everytime we went to a sporting event, you knew which students came from which school and having everyone in the same colours really supported the competing students. The same applies when we went on other trips outside the school. It just looked smart, especially representing your school at some event.
    I rather lurk than post.

When I was a kid, I had to wear them and I HATED it!
    I am so glad that my kids never had to wear them. Our schools here have a dress code as far as nothing vulgar on t-shirts,but I am sure it is like that most everywhere. Kids still get sent home for wearing shorts,skirts,shirts etc. that are way too short ,but that is about it.

pillows and pies
    I am in favor of them. The dress code rules in schools that do not have uniforms have gotten ridiculous and confusing. It would be easier on everyone if uniforms were inforced rather than picky dress codes. As a former high school teacher, I wanted to teach and not focus my time and energy on my students clothes, which administrators seemed to target as a major concern.

Dex
    Like what Luna has said, students here have to wear uniforms from about 5 years of age to 18. I'm not sure whether it's because we're so used to it, but I kind of like wearing uniforms, for the very superficial reason that I don't have to rack my brains over what to wear
    As for whether it takes away individualism, I don't think it's too much of a problem. Some people actually *look good* in uniforms, even better than their peers. It's like they 'made it their own'
    I think the rationale is to bring everyone to the same level, at least in school. The uniformity (oops... lame pun) could also promote a sense of identity, and to boost the esprit de corps.
    So yeah, I'm fine with uniforms as long as they're colour-coordinated
    Bollocks to your pompous hiney! -makerc

I never have had to wear uniforms, but as a parent of two sons who both complain in the morning if a t-shirt is not "cool" enough (imagine a 3 year old boy having "fashion" sense ) I would love if they had uniforms. It would save me lots of silent curses in the back of my mind when nothing is right and time is running out. (And boys are supposed to be easy in this regard.)
    ps. This is just my opinion in the matter.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast