+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 32 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: Your first name

Lean mean speedin machine AR Boy's Avatar
    My 1st name would be Simon.. 2nd Cox... I get occasionally pissed with that joke ppl make about my name

My first name (Paul) has always struck me as rather ordinary. It also sounds somewhat abrupt next to my single-syllable last name. We were careful to select multi-syllable names for the children because that seems to sound better with a single-syllable surname. Maybe we thought too much about it.

Anyway, Paul does have a quiet strength about it, and it's not as common as some other classic names. I don't really mind it. I do enjoy the fact that so many people call me Paulie. That adds a little character, in my mind.
    When you're ten years old and a car drives by and splashes a puddle of water all over you, it's hard to decide if you should go to school like that or try to go home and change and probably be late. So while he was trying to decide, I drove by and splashed him again. - Jack Handey

Read Paulie's Precaps for Survivor:Vanuatu: 1-2-3-4-5

kaj
    I love my name (April). Though when I was in grade school even the teachers tease me about it. But it's okay. It's a bit common, but for some reason I've never had classmates to share that name with. My last name is a country so...you can imagine how some people react to it when I introduce my name.

My first name means 'pillar' so...love it.

I don't really like my first name, Mary. For some reason, I think that it's kind of old-fashioned, and whenever I hear it, I have a mental picture of old grannies. My parents are the religious sort, so my siblings have Biblical names too. However, most of my friends think that it suits me. If I had a choice, I wouldn't change it though. It's too much a part of me by now. The weird thing is, it means 'Sea of Bitterness' in Hebrew...
    'A fanatic is someone who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.' - Winston Churchill

I've always liked my name (which, obviously, is Amanda). It's feminine without being girly, which is nice. But I can think of two major problems with it. 1) People often want to call me Mandy. Yeah, don't do that. I'm not a fan. 2) When I was born (1974), it wasn't popular. I didn't know anyone else with this same name, and I went to a large school. But somewhere along the way, it caught on. Once I hit 10 or so, there were all these Amandas, everywhere you looked. Annoying. I liked it better when it was still relatively unique.

Watching from Outer Space SpaceCase's Avatar
    I like mine, but many other people have it (Susan). I used to go by "Sue" until I worked in an office with 4 other Sues - so it's been Susan for years now. It's funny, but I can usually equate when I made friends with someone by what they call me - "Sue" are my old friends from high school and college, and "Susan" if I've met them since graduating.

By the way - it irks me sooooo much when people call me "Sue" after I've introduced myself as "Susan." :nono I'm very careful never to shorten/nickname someone unless they've said "Oh, you can call me... whatever."
    Outer space is no place for a person of breeding. -Lady Violet Bonham Carter

Mine is pretty common (Brian), which caused problems in elementary school since there were always one or two others in the class. Sometimes I think I'd rather have a more "unusual" name, like Giancarlo, Tor Andre or something, but then I'd probably not like it and hate my parents for it. Most people call me by my last name or a nickname anyway.
    Log off. That cookie sh*t makes me nervous. --Tony Soprano

So I said to him, "Look, buddy, your car was upside down when we got here. And as for your Grandma, she shouldn't have mouthed off like that!" --Homer Simpson

Seeing that my First name (Erik) is common, but with an uncommon spelling (its that way on my birth cert.... i swear), everyone, but everyone gets it wrong.

Its always 'My Name is Erik, with a K, no C'. and they still write it as 'Eric', with the occasional 'Erick'.

Life would be much simpler if people just called me 'senrik' and be done with it.
    "The purpose of the new capitalism is to shoot the wounded." ~ Andy Grove, Chairman, Intel Corporation

Up Where They Belong SurvivorGirl's Avatar
    My parents used an uncommon spelling too.

My name is Gabriela (No one calls me that except my parents when they're mad.), but most people spell it "Gabriella" or "Gabrielle".

Quote Originally Posted by SurvivorGirl
    My parents used an uncommon spelling too.

My name is Gabriela (No one calls me that except my parents when they're mad.), but most people spell it "Gabriella" or "Gabrielle".
    well my name is Erik, and those who call me by my name call me "Erik" but those are the minority.

Usually they call me "that computer geek over there" or "the IT guy" or "hey you"

if i had a nickel.....

and the people that have fun with the middle names.....
    "The purpose of the new capitalism is to shoot the wounded." ~ Andy Grove, Chairman, Intel Corporation

+ Reply to Thread