+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Why spoil?

Never snooped my presents.

Never skip to the end of novels.

But I like the spoilers. Although it does remove any suspense from the rose ceremonies, I love the amazing detective work...

Quote Originally Posted by pinkieparrot
    I just like to know the end so I can see what little hints of foreshadowing the author has put in.
    ...and it does make it more fun to see how the editors are playing the story!

I don't enjoy the feeling of suspense, it is a form of anxiety for me. Once I know what will happen I can focus on the details and enjoy what is happening in the moment rather than worry or feel anxious about what will happen. Probably a source for some serious psych but I enjoy knowing how it will end whether it is a movie or a book or a reality show.

Quote Originally Posted by froglady
    Never snooped my presents.

Never skip to the end of novels.

But I like the spoilers. Although it does remove any suspense from the rose ceremonies, I love the amazing detective work...

...and it does make it more fun to see how the editors are playing the story!
    That's me exactly. I won't "cheat" in any other aspect of life, but I can't live without my spoilers. (I won't even read the inside flap of a book I'm interested in, just because I don't want anything ruined.)
    "Look, you love me, and I love you. Maybe in a different time, a different place, this would work out. But we both know that only one of us is leaving this room alive, and I'm the one holding the flame thrower." - Film Fakers

I read the spoilers for Survivor, but only because I have to. My wife hates spoilers, so I keep my mouth shut about them.

I'd love to have shows spoiler-free. Tell the producers and editors to stop giving away their crap in previews, or having contestants leak it, and the reality world will be a better place. Until then, spoil away if that's what floats your boat.

Thanks for your responses. I agree that the show can be experienced and enjoyed in a totally different way by reading clues about the outcome and playing detective. I'm a scientist by profession and by nature so I'm almost surprised not to prefer the detective route--I guess I can't afford the time to figure it out, and I wouldn't get much from reading through other people's detective work.

I think, though, that the spoiler frenzy can have two unintended consequences. First, it changes what people talk about--less about guesswork from watching people interact, how it relates to their own lives, etc. and more about what they can deduce from ABC's mistakes, and how interactions look through the lens of already knowing the outcome. Second, it changes where people talk about it--look at the rate of contribution to spoiler vs. non-spoiler threads. Maybe people are also having good discussions in the spoiler threads, but if so the discussions are out of reach for those who don't want to know.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234