+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why spoil?

There is a huge difference between even the most "serious" reality shows and even the cheapest, cheesiest novel of the dime-store-beach reading type. You don't get previews of the next chapter of the novel when you finish one chapter etc.

I love to spoiled! I usually read the last few paragraphs of a book to know whether or not I want to continue reading.

Quote Originally Posted by rdpch
    Can someone explain to me why they like to read spoilers about what will happen in the future of the show? I don't mean people on the east coast talking about things before people on the west coast see them, but who the final four or two will be based on inside information or secret pics.

I'm sure the question has been asked 1000 times on these boards, I just don't have much experience. Not trying to judge--just curious about why people want to know well in advance what they will eventually see played out on the show.
    For me the spoilers are what make the show fun. It's like a huge puzzle and ABC will give us only so many clues and we can piece them together. I had never done much with the spoilers until the Meredith and Ian series, but once I started in, I was hooked.

The only thing that keeps me watching this season is the spoilers. I honestly don't care much for Jesse, he seems nice, but not in any way ready to settle down. I do like some of the girls, but because I don't think Jesse is really serious about this, I actually hope the ones I like don't "win".

I have never been able to resist puzzles of any kind and this is just another form of a puzzle for me. The spoilers move my involvement in the show from a passive role to an active role. Not that I can influence the outcome (that has already happened), but I can actually use information from many different sources to try and put the puzzle together before the show lays it all out for me with no effort on my part.

I also think that this is a kind of game that Fleiss plays with the more avid viewers, giving us enough information to try to figure out the end. I can't begin to describe the feeling I had when we figured out the lapels/lighting/flipping/ring at the Final Rose Ceremony last season. I was euphoric and giddy that we had broken through and solved the puzzle.

Did it spoil the rest of the shows for me? No - actually it made them more interesting, because once I knew Ian was going to win it was fun to see how the show was edited and how ABC was trying to manipulate our reactions. Ok - maybe fun isn't the right word - pissed and intrigued would probably be better.

Quote Originally Posted by rdpch
    Poll (answer both questions):
    Do you prefer to read what will happen in the future of the show?
    Do you like to read the ending of a novel before you read the whole thing?
    1. I don't prefer to just read what will happen in the future on the show, I prefer to help figure out what will happen on the show as a part of a team of other avid detectives.

2. I never read the end of a novel before I read the whole thing with one exception. I will read the end if I'm not really liking the book and I want to see if I should keep going. Usually reading part of the end then only confirms that the novel is really not worth my time. Part of the difference for me is that reading the end of the novel just tells you what happens, spoilering is completely different in that it allows me to enjoy the show in a different way as an active participant.

ETA: Wow, I'm a newbie again! I had over 300 posts before the forums were deleted.
    Last edited by Plecoptera; 04-15-2004 at 04:03 PM.

I totally agree with your post Plecoptera! Its about the only thing thats making this season interesting for me. They are playing with our minds and we want to outsmart those damn producers. Doesn't it bug you to know that they are playing with your mind and perception?

The only way I can fight back is by figuring it out for myself and then watching for their slip ups and where they have edited stuff just to get us to believe what they want. Didn't it bug you last season when they made everybody believe it would be Matt but it was actually Ian in the end?

I'm determined to not be manipulated. By analyzing the previews etc. you sharpen your senses and your become much more observant of the details. To be prepared is to be armed.
    Last edited by Krispy; 04-15-2004 at 04:27 PM.

MIA, RIP, or Busy...
    To answer your first question....why not?

It's all a game for me. I like to read the spoilers and formulate them with my own thoughts (of how I perceive people's emotions and mannerisms, their connections etc.). Along the way, I know I am being purposely tricked by ABC too so it really becomes a game of cat and mouse to see if they will be able to fool me. Also, like someone has already said, I find that it sharpens my interest in certain characters so I pay attention to the finer details along the way and don't have to worry about all the fluff.

And, I'm impatient too.
    A Bachelor fan til it dies a slow death and oddly enough, A Rock of Love fan...finest hair extensions from Europe and all. ;-)

I love spoilers. I actively seek them out on shows I watch- this one and "Alias"....cuz it adds to my watching pleasure! I get to look for other things- like the way it's edited, what's being manipulated, etc.... you get to focus on other things.

Anachronism before Noon Cat Bowling Champion Anemic Dog's Avatar
    I read the spoilers because ABC does such a bad job of producing the show - the information is easily obtained by just looking at the previews closely.

If the Bachelor producers had just half of Mark Burnett's sense, they'd add back that ten minutes of previewing back into the meat of the show, like Survivor does.

I also watch Survivor, but I do not read the Survivor board, specifically because I don't want to read any spoilers.
    Passing over to the Dark Side

DOMESTIC GODDESS realitycrazmom's Avatar
    I don't think people would be so into the spoilers if there wasn't a Rose Ceremony Game going on at ABC.com. That alone could be motivation to be more spoiled than usual.

I got my first high on spoilers when I had guessed all of the girls correctly during 'The Bob Show.' (I joined the RC Game too late to make choices in the initial cut, but I had 14 out of the 15 correct!) From then on, I was hooked!

I just want the chance to win free diamonds and goody-bags!

A greedy high--pure and simple!
    If I'd been a ranch, they would have named me The Bar None~~ Gilda

First of all, let's examine the history of the spoilers.

AFAIK, ABC has been running season preview since B1, but nobody was paying attention to them for several seasons. Back then, the spoilers you saw were mostly "x and y were spotted together in some place", and stuff like that, most of them were made up and wrong.

We started doing screencap analysis and spoiler at FORT from B4. It was tentative and very rudimentary at that time. It really took off and became a phenomenon during Bachelorette 2. We had a spoiler and speculation thread 100 plus pages long! It's technical, it's fun, and it's ACCURATE! It's not ordinary "hearsay stuff". We were right every step of the way, which established our credibility and popularity.

The spoilers are for die-hard and savvy Bachelor fans, who will not take what the producers presented at face value and refuse to be manipulated by their editing. Spoilers help you see through all the smoke screens they throw at the viewers and know the real story. And of course, we are impatient and want to know everything before everybody else...
    Snark with the best
    Die like the rest

Quote Originally Posted by Maxima
    First of all, let's examine the history of the spoilers.

AFAIK, ABC has been running season preview since B1, but nobody was paying attention to them for several seasons. Back then, the spoilers you saw were mostly "x and y were spotted together in some place", and stuff like that, most of them were made up and wrong.

We started doing screencap analysis and spoiler at FORT from B4. It was tentative and very rudimentary at that time. It really took off and became a phenomenon during Bachelorette 2. We had a spoiler and speculation thread 100 plus pages long! It's technical, it's fun, and it's ACCURATE! It's not ordinary "hearsay stuff". We were right every step of the way, which established our credibility and popularity.

The spoilers are for die-hard and savvy Bachelor fans, who will not take what the producers presented at face value and refuse to be manipulated by their editing. Spoilers help you see through all the smoke screens they throw at the viewers and know the real story. And of course, we are impatient and want to know everything before everybody else...

Plus I think we are all closet detectives. We are probably the kids who took our toys apart so we could figure out how they went back together.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast