+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: What is the worst aspect of your job?

Working every holiday, and every weekend. I enjoy my own company fine, but it would be fun to participate in some weekend activities with other folks occasionally! Once a month would be good.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

FORT Fogey
    I love my actual job... it's just people I work with... I work at a daycare, in a province in Canada, where daycares are loosely regulated. Of course, with low regulations, is a fairly low pay because no education level is required. Along with a low education level comes stupid people, and whiners who like to look at cute kids all day and do nothing else. (Trust me, every kid has their cute times, but not all kids are cute) It just irks me that some people are morons.

I am a stay at home and love 99% of my days with my kids (a 2 year old and a 9 month old). There is rarely a bad day, they are really good, but when there are bad days, I go mad being in the house Mon-Fri with them. Can't wait for summer to go outdoors a bit.

I used to work for a collection agency and that was bad. It's amazing how many people don't pay their bills and actually yell at you when you call them. (and I was almost always polite when I would call too) It was fun to ruin people's credit for 7 years when they'd call me a bitch or anything, 1 press of a button and bad credit for them.

Quote Originally Posted by evalaruefan
    I am a stay at home and love 99% of my days with my kids (a 2 year old and a 9 month old). There is rarely a bad day, they are really good, but when there are bad days, I go mad being in the house Mon-Fri with them. Can't wait for summer to go outdoors a bit.

I used to work for a collection agency and that was bad. It's amazing how many people don't pay their bills and actually yell at you when you call them. (and I was almost always polite when I would call too) It was fun to ruin people's credit for 7 years when they'd call me a bitch or anything, 1 press of a button and bad credit for them.

evalaruefan, that has to be the worst possible job that I can think of (collection agency, not motherhood ). My sister's bf is a total idiot when it comes to money and has had to deal with collections before. To hear him talk about it, the bill collectors are the bad guys, and it's never his fault that spends his money on stupid things instead of paying the gas bill. Moron!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Aptly_Named
    evalaruefan, that has to be the worst possible job that I can think of (collection agency, not motherhood ). My sister's bf is a total idiot when it comes to money and has had to deal with collections before. To hear him talk about it, the bill collectors are the bad guys, and it's never his fault that spends his money on stupid things instead of paying the gas bill. Moron!!!!

It's people like that who ruined my days. Lfe can be so simple, pay your bills!!! I understnad people get stuck for money (I've been there), but many are just idiots and don't know how to budget :rolleyes

Quote Originally Posted by libra1022
    Rude customers plain and simple. Either impatient when there's a line and the believe they deserve immediate service, grumpy because they waited until the last minute and just what they want isn't available that second for them, or just flat out treating myself or my employees nasty because they consider us to have a lesser job or education than they do because we work in the grocery store. We actually had a mother tell her daughter the other day that she needed to stay in school or else she'd end up "working in a grocery store like THEM"...hello, most of us are educated and there is nothing wrong with earning an honest living doing customer service.

I'll also add my pet peeve here cause it goes along with my rude customers....customers who can't put down their cell phone for a couple of minutes so that they can pay attention to the person that's TRYING to serve them. Yes, I have a cell phone and do use it in public when needed, but when it's my turn to be served or check out or whatever I put my call on hold so I can pay full attention to the person who's trying to take care of me...I know how difficult it is to attmept to talk to a person who's paying you no mind when all you're trying to do is help get them what they wanted.

I have worked in various forms of customer service for YEARS. All of what you've said above is Gospel, plus . . .

Have you ever had a customer throw money at you?

It happened to me when I worked the front end at a drugstore. I was absolutely by myself (the manager was in the office closing out late from the previous day because of computer problems). The line I had was halfway across the floor.

This b***h comes up. I ring her up and announce the total. Next thing I know, her money comes flying across the counter at me.

I stared at her a second, then rang out the sale and got her change.

Guess what? The change went flying across the counter back at her.

I stared her down. She snatched the money off the counter and huffed/flew out the door. One of my regulars was right behind her. She told me: "You're good. I would've gone across that counter and lost my job. If she files a report on you, here's my number, have 'em call me!"

I finished ringing out the other eleven or so people in line. When I was done, I crashed into the office where my boss was still working on the closeout. I told him: "If you should get a report from District about somebody saying I threw money at them . . . is that true? YES, it IS! WHY? BECAUSE THE B***H THREW MONEY AT ME!"

My boss, God love him, didn't miss a keystroke, didn't look up. All he did was chuckle and say: "OK, Ness!"

Oh the joys of working in customer service!
    Last edited by ness; 04-16-2004 at 01:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ness
    This b***h comes up. I ring her up and announce the total. Next thing I know, her money comes flying across the counter at me.

That reminds me of a few stories a friend of mine who was a toll collector told me.

My friend was a toll collector at a busy bridge in NY. He told me that when traffic was backed up people would get bored waiting so sonetimes they would roll/fold their money into a little tiny ball. At the time the toll was $4 and aomeone handed him a tightly folded $5 bill. He slowly unfolded the 5 pulled out a one for their change and proceeded to fold it up into a little wad. When it was done he handed the driver his change.

He also told me that on very cold days people would sometimes open their window just a crack and stick the money out so that he had to open his booth and reach out and get it. One time while handing back the change to one of these people he closed the booth window until it was open by just a crack and stuck the dollar bill change out.
    Some people are like slinkies, they're useless until you push them down the stairs.

FORT Fogey
    I could never work in customer service.... People are just too stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by ness

ness, that happened to me. My first job was working cash at the Wendy's drive thru (fun in summer, hell in winter). We had a regular customer who came every morning, ordered the same thing, and was always a total impatient jerk. One day he happened to drive up on an extremely busy day and had to wait more than the usual 30 seconds. He drove up to the window and threw a handful of change at me. NOT on the counter, at me. My manager happened to be in the vicinity, calmly helped me pick up the change, handed it politely back to the customer, and told him not to come back.

Ah yes, I had forgotten what it was like working in customer service. :rolleyes

Quote Originally Posted by JunkieGirl
    And this includes all the stay at home moms (since y'all have the equivalent of 2 FULL time jobs) or stay at home dads.

I've worked in pharmacies for at least 10 + years. One part is constantly being lied to, and peeps thinking we are dumb/naive. And the stories people will tell when they need their drugs. Narcotics are given out at intervals. X amount of pills every X amount of days, and it amazes me how many peeps were due to leave town, or their plane was leaving early in the a.m. etc etc and how many actually delayed trips, or were in the store at opening (and must have missed those planes) so they could get their narcs. Some of these peeps got so much more drug than days. It was pathetic. Yeah it might happen one time, but every month you are going away?

But the worst is seeing how much narcotics these people actually ingest. I'm sure some is sold, but still. These drugs do a lot of damage. Yes there is use for pain meds, but unfortunately the human body develops tolerance rather quickly and it is easy for one to become addicted. It amazed me that some of these folks could actually walk, talk and function, with the amounts they take. Not to mention how many actually have to look after their kids as well.

So what is the worst part of your job?
    I guess I'm your soul sister. I love being a dentist. I love getting people out of pain, improving their appearance, etc. I am one of those dentists that cares more for the patient than making money. I HATE drug seekers. They don't realize that you can see them coming a mile away. I have a standard protocol for toothache patients. The louder they get, the more obnoxious they get, the weaker the prescription gets. You ought to see the look on their face when they realize they are not going to get the good stuff. There is a wonderful non-narcotic pain med (Ultram) out there that will kill moderate to severe pain. It works on the same brain receptors as morphine only without the high. If you are really in pain you'll love it. If you are looking for a high you won't.

toothdoc

+ Reply to Thread