+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: What is the worst aspect of your job?

I'd have to say the worst part of my job is long-term planning. I'm an independent consultant, so I really only know what's up for the next 2 weeks or so (and sometimes not even that), and I know what the "wish list" is for most clients, but whether that ever happens or not is up in the air.

I just got the final word this morning that Monday I have to be in Chicago for the week - so you can see how it makes it impossible to plan anything.

Stay-at-home moms have the equivalent of 2 full time jobs? Hey, I'm at home all day with my two and I work part-time evenings and Saturday/Sunday days at 2 different part-time jobs - how many does that make?

Anyway, the worst part of all my jobs is...boredom. I love my kids and I love spending time with them but I'm often dying for a little adult conversation (thank you, John & FORT people ) and my other jobs are okay but dull.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

The worst aspect of my job is people. I'm a general manager of a restaurant and 90% of my problems are people oriented. Idiot customers and idiot staff. On the customers side I have to agree with Libs:
    Rude customers plain and simple
    Customers who come in the restaurant and spend a few bucks that think they "own" you and your staff and can treat you like second class citizens. I've been known to tell a few of 'em what they can do.
    On the staff side, having to deal with people that have no concept of the responsibilities of having a job. Some of them just can't comprehend the fact that I expect them to come to work everyday and do their job. How many times have I heard "You're lucky I came to work today." You know what pal? You're lucky I let you come to work you idiot.

But then again people are one of the great things of this job. Good customers who appreciate what you do for them and staff members who give you 100%. I love my job. Really.

Quote Originally Posted by JDHeninger
    Echo? You work at the post office?
    Nope.... Hospice

Quote Originally Posted by chompstick
    The worst part of my job is having a three year old sitting on my lap everytime I want to go to the bathroom just because he can't bear to leave my side. Oh, I'm a stay-at-home mom.
    You have one HARD job! Oh,god,do I remember that situation well.. Now that my kid's are grown,it is my cats that seem to have to be in the bathroom(and everywhere else) I am!

Quote Originally Posted by libra1022
    Rude customers plain and simple. Either impatient when there's a line and the believe they deserve immediate service, grumpy because they waited until the last minute and just what they want isn't available that second for them, or just flat out treating myself or my employees nasty because they consider us to have a lesser job or education than they do because we work in the grocery store. We actually had a mother tell her daughter the other day that she needed to stay in school or else she'd end up "working in a grocery store like THEM"...hello, most of us are educated and there is nothing wrong with earning an honest living doing customer service.
    I know exactly what you mean. I used to work in a grocery store as a cashier and some of the customers are downright mean. One guy, who had 3 carts full of stuff, got mad at me because I wouldn't take a coupon that was 2 months expired. He stood there and yelled at me until I went and got my supervisor (who also told him we couldn't take the coupon). Then after my supervisor left, he bitched at me the whole time I was checking out his 3 carts full until one of the other customers finally spoke up and told him that he couldn't verbally abuse me like that. Needless to say, I know what you go through.

Quote Originally Posted by chompstick
    The worst part of my job is having a three year old sitting on my lap everytime I want to go to the bathroom just because he can't bear to leave my side.
    I've been there. I'm a stay at homie to. But the worst part of my job now is having to repeat myself 20 times everytime I have something to say.
    A man can convince anyone he's somebody else, but never himself. - Verbal Kint from the movie The Usual Suspects

Worst thing about my job? Wow. Guess I'm lucky because I've been sitting here racking my brain trying to think of something bad . . . .I really love where I work and what I do.

I guess if I had to pick something it would be the pay. Because I work for a non-profit Christian ministry, the going rate for what I do (personal assistant to the CEO for 10 years and now an event coordinator) is considerably less than what I could be making in the corporate world. But, money isn't everything, and what is lacking in salary is more than made up for in terms of the people, atmosphere, and personal fulfillment that I never found when I was working in Corporate America!
    I don't have OCD, I have CDO. It's like OCD except that the letters are in alphabetical order like they should be!

on vacation
    How much ram does this site have?

I am a 911 Police/Fire/EMS Dispatcher for the County Sheriff's Dept where I live.

The worst parts of my job include but are not limited to:

Stress/911 calls People screaming on the phone during very emotional and high stressful times are hard. The one's where kids call are the worst. (On a side note, kids are some of the best 911 callers ever! )

Stress/Otherwise It's very stressful knowing how much our jobs are scrutinized. High liability jobs. You have to be on your game every single day and can't come to work and say I'm not doing anything today, because you never control that. People would also like the cops to be everything to them from taxi drivers to marriage counselors.

Multi-tasking is something we do when we're NOT busy. There are times when I work by myself with one other dispatcher for the entire county departments that are in our juridiction. The workload can be horrendous.

We wear headsets and it's like being tethered to your workstation. If you get up to put something away, you have this "leash" that jerks you back.

Sometimes if you work alone and it's very busy because of something going on, you don't always get to go to the bathroom if you need to. In 16 years of working here, I've had to wait the entire 8 hours to be able to go more times than I care to remember.

This job is 24/7 365 days a year. You miss lots of holidays and work 3rd shift.

I could list more but then you guys might think based on this and of course the location under my name that I dislike my job. Honestly there are very good things about it. I get great pay, have tremendous job security and people here have actually helped deliver babies over the phone or given pre-arrival instructions on people having heart attacks. It can be a very satisfying job.
    Memo from God

I am God. Today I will be handling all of your problems. Please remember that I do not need your help.

Quote Originally Posted by dreaminginblond
    How much ram does this site have?

I am a 911 Police/Fire/EMS Dispatcher for the County Sheriff's Dept where I live.

The worst parts of my job include but are not limited to:

Stress/911 calls People screaming on the phone during very emotional and high stressful times are hard. The one's where kids call are the worst. (On a side note, kids are some of the best 911 callers ever! )

Stress/Otherwise It's very stressful knowing how much our jobs are scrutinized. High liability jobs. You have to be on your game every single day and can't come to work and say I'm not doing anything today, because you never control that. People would also like the cops to be everything to them from taxi drivers to marriage counselors.

Multi-tasking is something we do when we're NOT busy. There are times when I work by myself with one other dispatcher for the entire county departments that are in our juridiction. The workload can be horrendous.

We wear headsets and it's like being tethered to your workstation. If you get up to put something away, you have this "leash" that jerks you back.

Sometimes if you work alone and it's very busy because of something going on, you don't always get to go to the bathroom if you need to. In 16 years of working here, I've had to wait the entire 8 hours to be able to go more times than I care to remember.

This job is 24/7 365 days a year. You miss lots of holidays and work 3rd shift.

I could list more but then you guys might think based on this and of course the location under my name that I dislike my job. Honestly there are very good things about it. I get great pay, have tremendous job security and people here have actually helped deliver babies over the phone or given pre-arrival instructions on people having heart attacks. It can be a very satisfying job.
    911 dispatchers and police dispatchers have one hell of a tuff job. People do not realize that you are the main person in all situations! I commend you all,for the great job you do.

Are these spots becoming? chompstick's Avatar
    Blondie, I didn't realize that's what you do. Much thanks to you and your comrades for a job well done.
    I support the right to arm bears.

+ Reply to Thread