+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Time Period

Phat you should join my aunt and uncle they are crazy England fans.

I have always thought it would be fun to go and get someone from another period say Laura Ingalls or someone like that and bring them here or bring cool stuff there and use it. Of course if you went back to Salem you might be considered a witch or something.

FORT Fogey
    Its so funny how many of the ladies would love to go back to a Victorian era type time frame with the romance and big dresses and pomp & circumstance, fancy balls and formal settings.

And you are all so correct that you point out the one draw back would be the lack of hygeine.

I toured a castle in France one time and they guide touched on this subject...he pointed out that one of the reasons that both women AND men wore the big powdered wigs was because it was so much easier than trying to do anything with their own hair - which usually went unwashed for weeks or months at a time. Same with baths, even royalty and/or people in high societly would seldom bathe.

That is one reason why people would carry a handkercheif or two stuffed up their sleeves. The handkercheifs were soaked with perfume and it you found yourself in close proximately to someone who really smelled bad (which was most people) then you simply would hold your hankie up to your nose, playing coy, but really using it to cover the stench.

Add to this those large, cumbersome outfits didnt breath well and people sweated buckets, so the summer time was particularly nasty.

The time period I'd like to visit is the future. In the event my time machine only went in reverse I'd say I'd like to visit the American Old West.
    Some people are like slinkies, they're useless until you push them down the stairs.

Quote Originally Posted by phat32
    This reminds me of that old TV show Voyagers. Anyone remember Voyagers? The kid and the guy in the pirate outfit? Traveled from time period to time period with a pocket watch as the time-travel machine? Just me, then?
    I LOVED that show. I used to get up on saturday mornings and watch it every week. The boy (Jeffrey) is Meeno Peluce who is Punky Brewsters half brother. Phineas was played by Jon-Erik Hexum who accidentally died on the set of his next tv show called Cover Me. And sadly, don't ask me how I knew all this.
    You got to cry without weeping. Talk without speaking. Scream without raising your voice.- U2

Quote Originally Posted by speedbump
    I LOVED that show. I used to get up on saturday mornings and watch it every week. The boy (Jeffrey) is Meeno Peluce who is Punky Brewsters half brother. Phineas was played by Jon-Erik Hexum who accidentally died on the set of his next tv show called Cover Me. And sadly, don't ask me how I knew all this.
    uhmmmm Speedbump....... I didnt even know Punky had a half brother Now if Jeopardy would give that call back I'm ready to go! giggle

Quote Originally Posted by Daddio
    And you are all so correct that you point out the one draw back would be the lack of hygeine.

I toured a castle in France one time and they guide touched on this subject...he pointed out that one of the reasons that both women AND men wore the big powdered wigs was because it was so much easier than trying to do anything with their own hair - which usually went unwashed for weeks or months at a time. Same with baths, even royalty and/or people in high societly would seldom bathe.

That is one reason why people would carry a handkercheif or two stuffed up their sleeves. The handkercheifs were soaked with perfume and it you found yourself in close proximately to someone who really smelled bad (which was most people) then you simply would hold your hankie up to your nose, playing coy, but really using it to cover the stench.

Add to this those large, cumbersome outfits didnt breath well and people sweated buckets, so the summer time was particularly nasty.
    Yup.

I would've said back to that era (the clothes, etc.), but the hygiene issues just would not do it for me. Perfumed hankie, or no!

I'll stick with the 60's, because of the music and fun clothes!

Drain my brain.
    The men seemed alot more romantic during the Renaissance era... *sigh*

Attached Images Attached Images
    I drive down the street in a Rolls Royce car. Use hundred dollar bills when I light my cigar.

Quote Originally Posted by Daddio
    From a romantic standpoint I'd say the "free love" Haight/Ashbury era of the late 1960's.
    Why am I not surprised?

I'd like to go all the way back to the Cretaceous Period, so I could see some real live dinosaurs. I'd probably get eaten on day one, but it'd be worth it. (Besides, Neanderthal guys are so hot! )
    "I'm telling you - it's a madhouse out there. I feel like Charlton Heston waking up in the field and seeing the chimp on top of the pony." ~ Dennis Miller

can i have your heart? unexplained's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SnowflakeGirl
    I like Queen B's idea of Renaissance Italy.

Strap me in a corset and I'm good to go! Venice or Florence would be wonderful.

Although I also love Elizabethan England...I guess anywhere I can wear a corset and a huge elaborate gown is fine!
    Bring me along. I'd love to float in a huge gown and one of those fans. Drink tea and make merry. But the corset would be a huge problem for me.
    You select the person you want to be with, and then you let that person have the opportunity to select you. -Shayla

"The mind is its own place, and in it, self can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n." -John Milton, Paradise Lost.

FORT Fogey
    I really like the time period I'm in... there's good things and bad things about every time period.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast