+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Working Out...Yes or No?

Working Out...Yes or No?

Do you exercise regularly or are you a true couch potato? If you do "work out", what are your usual activities?

I started doing Pilates mat workouts. Nothing with machines or any of the funky Pilates apparatus, just mat workouts. I'm impressed! Very concentrated movements but they seem to be very effective. I've lost a fair amount since I started and I'm more flexible...yowza!

Of course, I do have to walk the dog 3 times a day, so I guess that counts too.

I walk on my treadmill at least 3x/week, and lift weights almost every day. I want to get a recumbent bike, too.

Heh heh...I have one I'll sell ya. I even rigged it up to put my laptop on a shelf. I get very bored with some types of exercise.

Working out.....I sure wish I did.
    Gustav Holst was right!

Nerds Just Wanna Have Fun Boredom's Avatar
    I'm afraid I have no choice in exercising. One, because I'm quite possibly the skinniest person out there, and I need to gain at least a little bit of weight to not look malnourished, but more importantly, because, at my school, you have to do at least one sport a year, and I had avoided my sport for the first to semesters, but I had to do tennis the term.

If I had the choice, though, I would sit on my lazy behind all day long. And then walk upstairs (y'know, just to get the blood flowing) and go to sleep.

I work out at least 5 days out of 7. I don't feel right unless I do...just plain old aerobics and free weights for me, since I don't belong to a gym anymore. I used to love spinning classes too...I've never tried Pilates though - do you go to class, GG, or use a tape at home?
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

averagejane, I use a DVD called The Method. I don't like going to classes and have a hard time motivating myself, especially after work, to go somewhere other than home. There are several in the series and I've tried several, but the one I like best is Target Specifics. It's four 15-minute sessions...abs, arms, hips, thighs. It's actually some Pilates, some yoga, and in the hips and thighs, a lot of ballet.

I usually do the abs and arms together (especially when I'm being lazy) and the hips and thighs, which is a bit tougher for me. I truly am impressed with the results. Such simple movements, but wow. I recommend it for anyone who doesn't like to exercise or is not flexible or has limited range of movement. You'll tell a difference by the 2nd time through. Just keep it simple and don't stretch too far at first. I can't say enough good things.

Target sells the DVD and the video, btw.

That sounds pretty good...alas, no Target in the great white north so I'll have to do some detective work...
    *skips off to visit my friend google*
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Yes and no. Yes, being that I work out 6 times a week. No, being that I can't at the moment due to a surgery on my leg.

When I am working out, I do 45 minutes of cardio every M, W, F before work and then hit the gym after work for weight training T, Th, S. I keep my weight training to under 45 minutes and my rest periods short in order to gain the most out of a anaerobic workout. On Saturdays, if the weather permits, I like to do some mountain biking. During the summer my cardio is biking to work (so I get 2x's cardio in).

My schedule and leg is all out of whack right now, so the only excercise I'm getting at the moment is playing golf, which has actually worked out good for my leg and upper body. I hope to be back to my usual workout (and into that mint green speedo) by June.
    You got to cry without weeping. Talk without speaking. Scream without raising your voice.- U2

I go to Jazzercise class twice a week. I have been going for over three years. It's a lot of fun!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast