+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Working Out...Yes or No?

on vacation
    I would like to say that I exercise regularly also but truth be told, I don't. I have a very stressful job and spend the entire day tethered to a radio console by my headset sitting on my (growing) behind.

That said, I've started walking now that it's nicer out. I know that's lame but hey I didn't get fat overnight either, the way I figure. Also I remember seeing something on Oprah about weightloss that the biggest step is to just start moving, so I'm hoping that works for me. The walking is a great stress reliever too.
    Memo from God

I am God. Today I will be handling all of your problems. Please remember that I do not need your help.

Walking's a great form of exercise, dreaminginblond
    " I look like Nigella Lawson with a $#*!ing hangover."

Spiderman 2 - June 30 audiomaster's Avatar
    I have to butt in here.

I do like to workout, just that due to time constraints and busy school schedules (Or just that I'm plain lazy anyway ), I have to limit the amount of visits to gym. But I realized that for the past few weeks, I have made it an attempt to go there at least once a week. Not bad already, since I'm still on the beginning stages only. Will try to go there more.

FORT Fogey
    I am fortunate that there is a health-club in the office building where I work and its free for people who work in the building. Its not very big or fancy, but it has plently of good stuff and cant beat the price.

I work out with weights and so its important to give yourself a day off in between work outs. So I try for Mon-Wed-Fri with weights and Tues-Thur I dont work out.

I am trying to incorporate more aerobic excercise into my routine as well, but it is harder to discipline myself to things like walking or running on a tread mill or riding a stationary bike. It just bores me to tears. But now that the weather is better I can get back to more outside activities.

One of my favorite activities is going to the zoo. We purchase yearly passes to the zoo and go visit the animals every other week or so. I wear a pedometer and you dont realize until you read it - but you can easily walk 3-5 miles in an afternoon at the zoo. Great excercise and you dont even realize you are getting all that exercise.

Going to the amusement park, local forest preserve or even an excurison to the local "mega-mall" are all good ways to get in lots of walking without realizing it.

The out-door stuff is also a great way to get some sun - and evenly distributed sun to boot. Just oiling up and sitting in a chair is also something that doesnt hold my attention so I have always found it better to do things where you get sun without realizing it.

Another great way to get walking excercise is to be a tourist in your own town. We all joke about it, but how much time do you actually spend touring the largest city near you? Visiting museums, ethnic neighborhoods, shopping, parks, beaches etc. I have joked many times that I have lived in Chicagoland my whole like and never been to the top of the Sears Tower or John Hancock Building. You can walk around for hours without evening realizing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Daddio
    One of my favorite activities is going to the zoo. We purchase yearly passes to the zoo and go visit the animals every other week or so. I wear a pedometer and you dont realize until you read it - but you can easily walk 3-5 miles in an afternoon at the zoo. Great excercise and you dont even realize you are getting all that exercise.
    You purchase a yearly pass? Isn't the LP zoo free? If it isn't, I owe them some money, and they really ought to get better security.

GG, I'm really glad you started this thread, because I *just* bought that exact Pilates DVD you mentioned, and I'm glad to hear such a positive review of it.

I love swimming, I swim 1k when I go. I try to go while my son takes his swimming class twice a week. The 25-30 mins is just about right to get my laps done too. However, I do not excercise nearly enough, and I would need to find some class I would like. I am not a gym or aerobics person, so those are out of question. That Pilates sounds good though, maybe I have to see if I can find a class or tapes. Did you all who do Pilates start at home, or did you take a class (and then the video/DVD for home)?
    Last edited by Tirlittan; 04-12-2004 at 10:53 AM.
    ps. This is just my opinion in the matter.

Quote Originally Posted by AmandaG
    GG, I'm really glad you started this thread, because I *just* bought that exact Pilates DVD you mentioned, and I'm glad to hear such a positive review of it.
    Ooooo...let me know how you like it. I'm still amazed that something so simple had been so effective. I loved my scale this AM...another five pounds banished! Of course, I'm sure my weekend heartbreak must've had something to do with it, but if that's got to be my silver lining....OK!

I love swimming too, and any workout that gives me a good cardio. I don't go as often as I'd like. I also love doing crunches because I can do them right from home, and the 10 mins isn't a big time commitment. Can we count running for the bus as workout? Cos I do a lot of that every morning.
    "Just kiss my toes and I'll be happy." - Dex

FORT Fogey
    You purchase a yearly pass? Isn't the LP zoo free? If it isn't, I owe them some money, and they really ought to get better security.
    Yesiree, Licoln Park Zoo is free and is an excellent Zoo. But we live minutes from Brookfield Zoo (also a world-class zoo) and so its more convenient. Esp where parking is concerned!

FORT Fogey
    I *just* bought that exact Pilates DVD you mentioned, and I'm glad to hear such a positive review of it.
    I forgot to mention that I also purchased a "Total Gym" a couple of years back. I used it whenever I dont have a chance to work out in the regular Gym. It really is a GREAT product (and I am not just saying that due to my fondness for Christie Brinklely nor my resemblence to Chuck Norris LOL).

My wife uses it often as a Pilates machine and its great for that.

One costing note on the the "Total Gym": I didnt order it from the "info-mercial" which features a little better built model with more bells and whistles - and i think is quite expensive. I bought the version they sell at retail sporting good stores (I bought my at Sports Authority) and it was a little more stripped down version. It was just under $200.00.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast