+ Reply to Thread
Page 37 of 38 FirstFirst ... 272829303132333435363738 LastLast
Like Tree50Likes

Thread: FORT Anniversaries

Re: FORT Anniversaries

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter View Post
    I only knew him as "John"... maybe some older FORTers can answer your question better. At some point it was bought out by TV Guide, right?
    They used to have get-togethers. There was one in Las Vegas after I joined. I wasn't able to go, but I heard some fun gossip about it.
    From what I can find ... It was John and several Moderators who came from another site and started this one. It looks like it may have been started in 2002 ... and then sold to TV Guide in 2007. I think there may be a moderator or two on the mod team that are "originals". Perhaps they can fill in more.

About those get togethers ... one was held at a suburban Chicago Hotel.

ETA: I just went and read some in the get together FortCon threads ... and John did a recap of one day in 2004. Interesting to note that Spegs and Mr Spegs were there and also one of the pairs from TAR4.

There were also pictures at one time from FortCon 2 ... but they are now all dead links.

John has not posted for a while and hope he and all the others are well.
    Last edited by echo226; 08-05-2013 at 04:57 PM.
    Debb70 likes this.
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    OMG, some of you have been around for a long time. How long has the board been around and who started it?
    A pretty cool dude named John and some other hip party animals broke off from another unsavory reality tv site. The original mods were from the other site. John set a tone that the previous site would never be mentioned publicly and the "how did FORT come to be" question was answered in vagueness in order to deflect any animosity from the other site and keep the discussion flowing forward. It wasn't until I became a FORT mod that I got to read the mod forum and piece together the backstory (which was pretty cool).

While there were plenty of members joining from day 1, there were 2 points in reality tv that assisted in the sites popularity back in the day: AI: Clay vs. Ruben, and Paradise Hotel. Ten years ago most members had join dates during those two shows. Then The Bachelor, ANTM, and Big Brother exploded and FORT became the "go to" site for all things reality tv. The recaps and analysis were written by some very creative and witty writers which set us apart from other discussion forums.

I wish I could've made the first FORTcon in Chicago. At the time, FORT had a very "family" feeling to it and being able to meet the members we were spending hours online with would've been awesome. We had holiday threads that were, for all intended purposes, chit chat threads that would go on for hundreds of pages, thousands of posts, that were so chocked full of hilarity, you didn't want to log off for fear of missing something good.

I think a little piece of that "family" atmosphere died when FORT became huge and it was sold to TV Guide. It might be hard for some to understand but FORT filled an empty void in my life, introduced me to some amazing friends, and unleashed my inner creativity. I will always be grateful for that even today as life has taken me in different directions.

So whether you've been a member for one year or ten years, a tip of the hat and a raise of the glass for a pretty kick ass site!
    Punkin, waywyrd, Stargazer and 6 others like this.
    You got to cry without weeping. Talk without speaking. Scream without raising your voice.- U2

Kip
    FORT Fogey Spider Solitaire Arkadium Champion, Alu`s Revenge Champion, Sky Blocks Champion

Quote Originally Posted by speedbump View Post
    A pretty cool dude named John and some other hip party animals broke off from another unsavory reality tv site. The original mods were from the other site. John set a tone that the previous site would never be mentioned publicly and the "how did FORT come to be" question was answered in vagueness in order to deflect any animosity from the other site and keep the discussion flowing forward. It wasn't until I became a FORT mod that I got to read the mod forum and piece together the backstory (which was pretty cool).

While there were plenty of members joining from day 1, there were 2 points in reality tv that assisted in the sites popularity back in the day: AI: Clay vs. Ruben, and Paradise Hotel. Ten years ago most members had join dates during those two shows. Then The Bachelor, ANTM, and Big Brother exploded and FORT became the "go to" site for all things reality tv. The recaps and analysis were written by some very creative and witty writers which set us apart from other discussion forums.

I wish I could've made the first FORTcon in Chicago. At the time, FORT had a very "family" feeling to it and being able to meet the members we were spending hours online with would've been awesome. We had holiday threads that were, for all intended purposes, chit chat threads that would go on for hundreds of pages, thousands of posts, that were so chocked full of hilarity, you didn't want to log off for fear of missing something good.

I think a little piece of that "family" atmosphere died when FORT became huge and it was sold to TV Guide. It might be hard for some to understand but FORT filled an empty void in my life, introduced me to some amazing friends, and unleashed my inner creativity. I will always be grateful for that even today as life has taken me in different directions.

So whether you've been a member for one year or ten years, a tip of the hat and a raise of the glass for a pretty kick ass site!
    Yes, the recaps were amazing. There were so many brilliant, witty, sharp, creative writers. It was often more enjoyable reading the recaps than watching the shows. I'd usually highlight my favorite lines from the recap in my thank-you post, but sometimes just about every line was a gem and it was hard to pick a favorite 2 or 3.

I love this site. I doubt there's a site anywhere with more articulate and witty members than FORT.
    Punkin, Coco46 and inthegarden like this.

The good ole days. John and the mods created the best run forum boards on the web at the time. The way they moderated and kept everyone in control was awesome. The simple rules of "No Trolls" and "Attack the post not the poster" just made this the most well run board. If you've ever visited an unmoderated board then you know what i'm talking about. And like speedbump said, the recaps were so well written. It was almost a given that if you missed an episode of any reality show you could come here and get a recap that would make you feel like you watched the show. And there were so many posters. Even if I didn't know anyone watching the show I could come here and find hundreds of people to talk to about it.

Then John sold it to TVGuide and it became so filled with ads that my dial up connection couldn't keep up. I'd get locked up or booted off the internet altogether. So I stopped visiting regularly for a long time. I still have trouble with the site. I have to refresh pages a lot. But I love TV and I love to talk about TV and there are so many good show to talk about now that I can't stay away.
    Cootie and inthegarden like this.
    "You better watch your mouth sunshine."-Daryl Dixon

Yay! Just gave out my 7,000th "Like"! It's been 10 years for me last January, so I'm going on 11! I remember John and the Mods created the best reality site on line. I had been for some time on Survivor Phoenix when the site owner decided it was too hard to run forums there as well as her spoiler site. We had to find somewhere else to go and I think it was around then John et al came up with The Fort. At my 10th anniversary earlier this year I had about 450 posts. Most of them were for Big Brother over the years. But Lookit' me now! I've become downright chatty!

I love this site and everyone here. I hope John drops in sometimes just to see if we're minding our manners. We are, John!
    Coco46 and inthegarden like this.

My anniversary is coming up-2-25-04. I'm astounded because I "met" so many wonderful peeps and the odd thing about the date is : it is the day that my son died in 2008. I would not have gotten through that year without the help of my friends on FoRT!!
    Punkin, Kip, Cootie and 1 others like this.

Count your blessings!

I just noticed I'll be celebrating my 10th anniversary here in 3 days. THANK YOU to all my FoRT friends who have made this a fabulous decade.
    Punkin, Ellen, waywyrd and 5 others like this.
    Count your blessings!

I have been here 7 years as of May of this year! Happy Anniversary Gutmutter!
    Punkin, waywyrd, Gutmutter and 2 others like this.
    Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Happy Anniversaries to you both!
    Debb70 likes this.
    Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted - John Lennon

+ Reply to Thread