+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 12/10 - This day in history

12/10 - This day in history

I forgot yesterday's, sorry.

On this date in history:

In 1869, the Territory of Wyoming granted women the right to vote.

In 1898, Spain signed a treaty officially ending the Spanish-American War. It gave Guam, Puerto Rico and the Philippines to the United States.

In 1901, the Nobel prizes were first awarded in Oslo, Norway, and Stockholm, Sweden.

In 1927, the Grand Ole Opry made its first radio broadcast from Nashville.

In 1936, Britain's King Edward VIII abdicated to marry American divorcee Wallis Warfield Simpson. His brother succeeded to the throne as King George VI.

In 1941, Japanese troops landed on northern Luzon in the Philippines in the early days of World War II.

In 1984, the National Science Foundation reported the discovery of the first planet outside our solar system, orbiting a star 21 million light years from Earth.

In 1990, the communists won a major victory in the first postwar multi-party elections in the Yugoslavian republics of Serbia and Montenegro.

In 1991, TV commentator Patrick Buchanan announced a bid to challenge President Bush for the Republican presidential nomination.

Also in 1991, the U.S. Supreme Court struck down a New York law that allowed a criminal's profits for selling his story to be seized and given to his victims.

In 1992, Sen. Packwood, R-Ore., apologized to the women who had accused him of sexual harassment and promised he would not do it again.

In 1997, the Swiss high court ruled that $100 million of the money that had been salted away in banks by former dictator Ferdinand Marcos would be returned to the Philippine government.

1967 Fluff's husband was born.
    "That's Numberwang!"

"In 1869, the Territory of Wyoming granted women the right to vote. "

Wow that was a very progressive move back in 1869! Good for Wyoming! I have a new found respect for that state now.

I read somewhere recently that since women go the right to vote, only one major election has been affected by it. That was in 1996 when Bob Dole would have won instead of Clinton. Funny to think that in nearly 100 years if we had either not allowed men, or not allowed women to vote it wouldn't have made a difference. Maybe we are more alike than some would like to think.

"In 1991, TV commentator Patrick Buchanan announced a bid to challenge President Bush for the Republican presidential nomination."

One year later, the American peole told him to take his egocentric, isolationist garbage and "shove it"

It ain't easy being green Wayner's Avatar
    In 1992, Sen. Packwood, R-Ore., apologized to the women who had accused him of sexual harassment and promised he would not do it again.
    12/11 - This day in history: In 1992, Sen. Packwood, R-Ore., apologized again to the women who had accused him of sexual harassment and promised he would not do it again.

12/12 - In 1992, Sen. Packwood, R-Ore., apologized yet again to the women who had accused him of sexual harassment and promised he would not do it again. "I really mean it this time." he assured.

12/13 - In 1992, Sen. Packwood, R-Ore., apologized still one more time to the women who had accused him of sexual harassment and promised he would not do it again. "Seriously, I'm not kidding." he proclaimed.

12/14 - In 1992, Sen. Packwood, R-Ore., offered his daily apology to the women who had accused him of sexual harassment and promised he would not do it again. "Nice rack. I mean, um, I'm sorry." he stammered. "I've got to stop hanging out with Clinton."

I actually got to meet Senator Packwood on a few occassions. He is contributor to several of the universities around Portland, and actually reportedly makes millions per year as a high powered lobbyist on Capital Hill.

He was a pretty progressive Senator on all issues, except for treatment of female employees apparently.

Of course, he was made to face censure in the well of the Senate (where he took the face saving option of resigning) for his activites. Ruining what many thought was a possible Presidential level career.

One wonders what the reaction and outcry would have been had these 20 year old scandels been brought to life post-Clinton...
    "George Oscar Bluth II, aka GOB, featured magician in the best selling videotape, "Girls With Low Self Esteem" invites you to enter his world.
    -- Arrested Development, Season III

One wonders what the reaction and outcry would have been had these 20 year old scandels been brought to life post-Clinton...
    Clinton would have sent him a box of cigars.

Republicans preach about morals more and are therefore held to a higher moral standard on this sort of issue. Nothing would have been any different.
    Besides, Clinton got hammered for lying under oath and for attempting to use his office to deny a fellow citizen her fair day in court. Not the same thing as playing grabass

COMBAT MISSIONS junkie! BravoFan's Avatar
    Happy Birthday Mr. Fluff!!!

"They can only edit what you give them. They cannot manufacture a fictional character out of thin air." (Bill Rancic - 4/04)
    Regarding editing reality TV: "You can't edit IN a bad personality." ("Cali"-11/02)
    BB8 - A "conveyor belt of human garbage." ("Pono" - 9/07)

Originally posted by Bonker
    Republicans preach about morals more and are therefore held to a higher moral standard on this sort of issue. Nothing would have been any different.
    Besides, Clinton got hammered for lying under oath and for attempting to use his office to deny a fellow citizen her fair day in court. Not the same thing as playing grabass
    Actually I don't disagree with you on either point Bonker, I think my point was to point out the hypocrasy involved on all sides of that issue.
    "George Oscar Bluth II, aka GOB, featured magician in the best selling videotape, "Girls With Low Self Esteem" invites you to enter his world.
    -- Arrested Development, Season III

Actually I don't disagree with you on either point Bonker, I think my point was to point out the hypocrasy involved on all sides of that issue.
    I knew that. I was just being silly.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast