+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Grandmothers and Grandfathers..

FORT Fogey

Grandmothers and Grandfathers..

What do you call yours?? What do your kids call your parents.. so many cute names out there.. thanks Miss F for the idea..

When we were kids I am the oldest grand child,, I heard mine calling each other peachy and darlin..
    so, I thought that was their names and now all the grandkids call my dads mom darlin and his dad peachy,,

my parents are mimi and poppy to our kids..

My other set was mammaw and pappaw..

My children call my parents Nana and Papa. They call my wife's parents Grandma and Grandpa.

I never really knew mine. Two of them died before I was born. The other two died when I was 5 or 6. I naturally assumed that everyone's grandparents were dead until I got a bit older and realized that it's my situation that's unusual.
    When you're ten years old and a car drives by and splashes a puddle of water all over you, it's hard to decide if you should go to school like that or try to go home and change and probably be late. So while he was trying to decide, I drove by and splashed him again. - Jack Handey

Read Paulie's Precaps for Survivor:Vanuatu: 1-2-3-4-5

Thanks Firegirl, glad you posted it.

We had family friends that called their grandparents Nana and Poppa. It was always strange to me because my 3 sets, (my great grandparents too) were always Grandma and Grandpa.
    If you go through a lot of hammers each month, I don't think it necessarily means you're a hard worker.
    It may just mean that you have a lot to learn about proper hammer maintenance.

I did know my two grandparents long enough to give them nicknames, BTW. My mom's mother wanted me to call her Nana, but I called her "Banana". And my dad's father was partial to Pop, but I called him "Poppy". That's pretty much all I have as far as memories of my grandparents: two nicknames.
    When you're ten years old and a car drives by and splashes a puddle of water all over you, it's hard to decide if you should go to school like that or try to go home and change and probably be late. So while he was trying to decide, I drove by and splashed him again. - Jack Handey

Gramma Johnson and Grampa Johnson on Dad's side.
    My mom's parents were already gone when we came along.
    There was an older couple at our church that took care of my brother before I was born and me when I came along. We call them Gramma and Grampa Hancock.

My parents are Granny and Pa or Granny Goose and PawPaw.

My aunt's name is Dorthy, but everyone calls her Honey 'cause that is what her hubby called her. We all just called him Ed.

It occurred to me that no matter how bleak things might seem at times, at least I have a head. ----Stargazer

FORT Fogey
    Our great grand parents who are gone now we had grandmother and Grand Col. he was in the Airforce.. lol

My grandmother, the only one I've got, is Gram. Although my dog knows her (and recognizes her name) as "Grandma Flo-Flo" (her name is Florence), and that's what all of my Gram's great-grandkids call her.

I have 3 aunts, and one of them, for my whole life, I've called "Auntie". I don't know why. So, I have Susan & Rod, Pam & Jake, and Auntie & Uncle Phil (yes, I have to add the Uncle in there, too). Wierd, ain't it? Her name's Carolyn, but I've never once called her that, and I'm 32.

Paulie, that sucks. A good friend of mine never knew any of her grandparents either. She thought it was odd tat all mine were still living. (They were untill a few years ago when both my grandfathers died)

ANYWAY.... I called both sets Mama and Papa if we had to differentiate we used last names.
    My dad was Papa to my kids, but my mom is Juffie (the J is pronounced like a Y)
    On my husbands side my Mother in law is Weta ( short for Abuelita which is a nickname for Abuela, Grandmother in Spanish), my father in law is Tata… or at least that’s how he spells it…. I can’t spell it phonetically….. something like Dah-tah)

I call all my aunts and uncles by their first name.

Once, when one of my Husbands Uncles called my daughter answered the phone. She said “Dad, it’s your uncle” He asked which one and she said she didn’t know for sure, but was positive his name was TIO. Tio is Spanish for Uncle, but she thought that they were all named Tio, as that is what my husband calls all of them!
    "Rice is great when you're hungry and want 2,000 of something' -- Mitch Hedberg

Isn't "Tata" a strange name for a man?

Wow!

I totally left out what my kids call my hubby's parents. Hubby's dad is Buello(short for Abuello) and his mom is Wellita or weeta(short for Abuelita).

His sister is tortilla or tia and bro-in-law is quesadilla or tio. Bro-in-law was trying to teach my son how to speak spanish and he kept saying quesadilla and so he thought that was his name. They call my sis-in-law tortilla because it soulds like tia to them. Hehe. They both love it and would not want them to call them anything else. It is so funny when they ask the kids if they remember their names. Tortilla and Quesadilla! Ha!
    It occurred to me that no matter how bleak things might seem at times, at least I have a head. ----Stargazer

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast