+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Thinking like a Child

I used to be convinced that a bad man would come into my room at night, so I would cover my head with the blankets (with my feet sticking out the bottom) because I knew if I couldn't see him he wouldn't be able to see me.
    To be a star: you must shine your own light; follow your own path; and don't be afraid of the darkness, for that's where stars shine brightest.

Watch The Amazing Race 4 on CBS Thursdays @ 8:00!!!

FORT Fogey
    I had a similar misconception. I believed that if I sat on the couch and kept my feet on the couch as well, nobody would reach out from under the couch and grab me. Of course, I can't see a person actually fitting under the couch, but I was REALLY afraid of that as a kid...

FORT Fogey
    When I was a kid, I thought each of those little squares on the sidewalk were each called a block, so when I told my parents how far I were going "in blocks," I would get in trouble for exaggerating...

FORT Fogey
    Okay this may sound kind of stupid...

But my mom had this jacket with the shoulder pads in it (you know like from the 80s) Well when I would see the commercials for Maxi pads.. I ALWAYS thought that the shoulder pads and maxi pads were the same thing. However, I could never explain the "prevents against leaks" part of the commerical, hahaha i was so stupid :rolleyes

I remember when I was a kid I use to use my mothers tampons as floatation devices for my G.I. JOES
    In these times of Greatness, what is better than being a Bostonian? Red Sox, Patriots, Celtics (NO. 5anyone?) and I'll even give props to the Black N Gold!!!

I used to think that president meant the same as a king and he would never die. I was quite upset when I found out that he was elected every 6 years. It was quite a common misconception though, because that particular president (when I was growing up) was elected 5 times in a row, and only after him they set a maximum to two terms. Still, despite the lack of a crown, I think he very much equaled a king in kids minds

I noticed one day that Raggedy Ann and Andy looked pretty much identical except for their clothing. Feeling that a greater distinction needed to be made, I logically grabbed a black crayon and scribbled a moustache on Andy, because everyone knows that men have moustaches, and that moustaches are black.

Also, I was postive that God was a really, really big man in a white suit. A man, because leaders always seemed to be men, and I didn't grow up in a very progressive family as far as gender roles are concerned.
    Big, because he'd have to be HUGE in order to be everywhere. White suit, because the good guys wear white.

Originally posted by firegirl
    I thought that people were actually at the radio station playing the songs live,
    Firegirl and blindart , I guess great minds do think alike!
    When the same song was being played on two radio stations at once, I thought the singer was running back and forth between the two stations. I couldn't wrap my mind around how anyone could move so quickly that there were no gaps in the song!

FORT Fogey
    Ok I am bringing this one back too because it was funny to hear about people and what they thought and I want to hear some more!

Okay firegirl, I admit to also thinking all dogs were boys and all cats were girls.

When I was really little, I thought my Dad was a hunter. He would leave for a week or two and say he was going on a "shoot". So naturally, I assumed he was a professional hunter, which I thought was exciting. He was actually a photographer. I remember when I figured it out, I was a little disappointed.

My Mom also tells us about when my older brother was little that he went through a phase where he was crying all the time for no apparent reason. She finally made him tell her why. Turns out, they had an anniversary coming up that they had been talking about and he thought "anniversary" meant "divorce".
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

+ Reply to Thread