+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Thinking like a Child

FORT Fogey
    I posted something to this effect in another thread, but it's very cute...My son came home from Kindergarten one day (he's in 5th grade now), very excited, and said, "Mom!! My teacher has these neat things she plays and they play music and they look like cds but they aren't cds, they're black..." Took me a minute to realize my poor, deprived child had never seen a record player! Also, more recently, we were watching tv, and I'm not sure what we were watching, but he turned to me with a serious face and said, "Is that the way you used to do things in the 50s?" (I'm only 30, BTW...) \

My daughter, 8 now, was the queen of cute! She used to call monsters "monmers" and would tell the story of the "Easter Bummy" who had long "bummy whiskers." And she told me not too long ago that the reason we had stars is 'cause God made them and thought they were pretty and he was proud of them. So he hung them up in the sky so we all could see them!

Kids--gotta love 'em!

FORT Fogey
    Maveno!!!!!!!!! I think I have an even weirder one but I'm afraid it would not be appropriate to talk about on a PG13 site It's very um... odd? It involves male reproductive organs, to put it nicely. hehehe

Looking through past threads and I really liked this one, so I thought I would post:

I thought there was a man in the traffic lights

I could never explain how the same commercial came on twice in a row. I thought someone representing each commercial were in a room and whoever pressed the button the fastest, their commercial would come on.

FORT Fan
    I had problems with common sayings...

I thought "up and at 'em" was "up and Adam".

I thought the "hand writing on the wall" was the "handwriting on the wall".

I'm from Chicago-ish, so I've heard "vote early and often" since I was about 5. I always thought it was a friendly reminder to vote in the morning (since there won't be a long line), and to vote at every election (since most people don't vote at every election). I didn't learn what it really meant until my senior year of high school.

Also, my dad was really involved in politics. He was a republican, and I was a daddy's girl, so I declared myself to be a republican also. When I was about 7, I told my mom this, and she told me that you can't just pick what you want to be. She said that you had to take a test to see if you were a democrat or republican. I was seriously paranoid for a while that I would take the test and turn out to be democrat...

Yeah, I was an odd child...
    "It is my belief, however, that the truth is generally preferable to lies..."

I used to cover my ears when flies were around because I thought they would fly in my ear.

Quote Originally Posted by Bailey
    I thought "up and at 'em" was "up and Adam".
    Me too! I always wondered who Adam was.

I used to think that nun's didn't pee,fart or ever see themselves naked.

My dad was a photographer. When I was little, he'd talk about going on "shoots". For several years, I thought he was a professional hunter or something. I had visions of a big game safari hunter or something.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

Quote Originally Posted by Stargazer
    Okay firegirl, I admit to also thinking all dogs were boys and all cats were girls.

When I was really little, I thought my Dad was a hunter. He would leave for a week or two and say he was going on a "shoot". So naturally, I assumed he was a professional hunter, which I thought was exciting. He was actually a photographer. I remember when I figured it out, I was a little disappointed.
    Holy COW! As lucy just pointed out to me in a pm, I said the same thing twice in the same thread. Okay Stargazer...time to step away from either the keyboard or the bourbon and coke.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

+ Reply to Thread