+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree96Likes

Thread: Commercials I love

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

Re: Commercials I love

Funny you mention this. My husband loved this song, too, till I told him the English translation.
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

I just looked up the lyrics on Wikipedia and now I will laugh and laugh when I see this commercial as I sing in my head "I shall pluck your head"! For some reason I always thought it was Chantez Allouette -as in, let's sing Allouette. I dunno - can't remember back that far for French class.

I looked up the song in Bare Minerals Commercial - It's called California Soul by Marlena Shaw and Ya-Boy. Apparently it's only available on the soundtrack for the movie The Lincoln Lawyer (which I have not seen but will be sure to take note of the music when I do)
    Women are Angels.
    And when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly...usually on a broomstick.
    We are flexible like that.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I'd like to know the circumstances behind this song being written.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post
    I'd like to know the circumstances behind this song being written.
    I have read that this is a traditional French "kitchen work" song. Alouette means "lark," and larks were once considered game birds in France.

The only reason the song grosses us out is that we buy our fowl already plucked and shrink-wrapped, ready to cook. Our grandmothers (and maybe some of our moms) routinely plucked.

Back in the day, all fowl had to be plucked at home. It was one of the earliest kitchen chores a child (usually a girl) would learn. The song also taught toddlers the names of body parts, which is why it is still a popular children's song.
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

Thank you, Poppy. Very interesting! I must admit that I've never seen anything plucked, and I am not a fowl fan. I even find cutting up a whole chicken gross!!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

I've never plucked a chicken, but I've helped gut & butcher a deer. No problem.
    Provided the chicken was already dead, I could handle it easily. They do pluck them after they're dead, don't they?
    "Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa. --Field of Dreams--"

I DO know that it's after they are dead and, I think, dipped in boiling water to make the plucking easier. Eeeeeewwwwww!!!!

I'm white trash too....as far as Velvetta and Spam (fried, only) go. I have couple recipes that use Velvetta and I never tell anyone what it is that makes it taste so good. People now are so programmed to hate such things and would be horrified if they knew what they were eating.....I don't think it's a problem as long as it's used in moderation, as with everything, I guess.

When I was pregnant with my son I craved Velveeta in the worst way! I used to go through a box a week - just cut it off and ate it like cheese. I didn't eat it before and I haven't touched it since!

I work with a couple of natural/organic/raw foods fanatics. The things they tell me about where some popular foods come from & what's in our food is frightening. I'm constantly being sent videos about things like chicken nuggets, spam, pink slime(in burger), "processed" food, and the way the animals are treated for processing.
    It's changed the way I eat, but I just can't go nearly as far as they do.
    I like my "processed" food & my plain old grocery store food. It's just so much more convenient, not to mention tasty.

One thing it has done is change the way I look at food commercials. I see so many of them as pushing unhealthy living.
    I'll never eat a chicken nugget again! And McNugget commercials give me the creeps now. And all those giant sizzling steaks & creamy rich side dishes & rich deserts just make me feel fatter & my arteries clogging up just watching them.
    "Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa. --Field of Dreams--"

+ Reply to Thread