+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 12/07 - A date which has lived in infamy

12/07 - A date which has lived in infamy

Today is Dec. 7.

-0-

Today is a "date that will live in infamy." On the morning of Dec. 7, 1941, nearly 200 Japanese aircraft attacked Pearl Harbor, Hawaii. The raid, which lasted a little more than an hour, killed nearly 3,000 people and nearly destroyed the entire U.S. Pacific Fleet. The attack came one day after President Franklin Roosevelt send a message of peace to Japan's Emperor Hirohito, and catapulted the United States into World War II. The U.S. Congress declared war on Japan one day later.

-0-

An earthquake measuring 6.9 on the Richter scale struck the Soviet Republic of Armenia on this date in 1988. As many as 60,000 people were killed -- many when their poorly constructed homes collapsed on them. Soviet President Mikhail Gorbachev cut short his U.S. visit to fly home to head the worldwide relief efforts.

-0-

The destruction of a 16th century mosque in India by militant Hindus on this date in 1992 sparked five days of violence across the Indian subcontinent that left more than 1,100 people dead.

-0-

It was on this date in 1993 that a gunman opened fire on a crowded Long Island, N.Y., commuter train -- killing several persons. One of those killed was the husband of Carolyn McCarthy, who later campaigned on a platform of gun control to win a seat in the U.S House of Representatives.

-0-

Charles Brooks Jr., earned a dubious place in history on this date In 1983. Convicted of murdering an auto mechanic, Brooks became the first person put to death by lethal injection in this country. He received an intravenous injection of sodium pentathol, the barbiturate that is known as a "truth serum" when administered in lesser doses, at the Texas State Prison in Huntsville.

-0-

Delaware became the first state to ratify the United States Constitution, doing so on this date in 1787. The vote was unanimous.

-0-

And where would we be without Leo Baekeland, who on this date in 1909, patented the process for making Bakelite -- giving birth to the modern plastics industry.

Also on this date:

1993 - Hubble telescope was fixed by the Endeavour crew.

1972 - Apollo 17 was launched, the last manned mission to the moon.

1987 - Gorbachev arrived in Washington DC, the first soviet President to visit the US since '73, signalling an end to the "Cold War".

Wow, a lot of rather unpleanant things happened on this day.

I didn't realise the first lethal injection was as recent as that.
    "That's Numberwang!"

That one suprised me too fluff, I read it twice.

I had no idea all those thisng happened today, with the exception, of course, of Pearl Harbor.
    "Rice is great when you're hungry and want 2,000 of something' -- Mitch Hedberg

Hey guys, , haven't been here in a while but I just visited Pearl Harbor during thanksgiving week while on vacation and paid homage. If y'all ever get a chance to visit Hawaii, u should defi check it out. I've been there before but hubby's never seen it so we went and would you believe it, rain was coming down but once we got to the Arizona memorial, it stopped. Eerie.
    You can pretend to be serious; you can't pretend to be witty.

I've never been to Hawaii, but when I go, it'll definitely be one of the things I check out.

Maybe when I'm there to participate in "Celebrity in his own mind Mole"

John! What? You mean you as FORT admin are not a celebrity already? I may have to take down my shrine to you.

On a more serious note, what a tragic day this has been in history. Makes you think, huh? Here I was complaining about being at work today, and so many people have died on this anniversary.

I had forgotten that today was December 7. I am taking a moment of silence in rememberance of the soldiers who gave their lives to defend our country and the innocent civilians, caught in the crossfire, who lost their lives on this day.

+ Reply to Thread