+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: LASIK eye surgery

Re: LASIK eye surgery

Duxxy - I had it done without valium. It was a little creepy, but the dr. was so fast there wasn't time to freak out or anything. You won't feel a thing - it's just a wierd experience to have people working on your eyes. At one point I got anxious so I did my childbirth breathing exercises and was fine. I'm sure you will be too.
    "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." - Mario Andretti

Quote Originally Posted by Duxxy;2439156;
    I'm in knots thinking about it. um Broadway... the nurse didn't mention any valium when I called. I'm kind of hoping for a little some-um some-um like maybe nitrous lol.
    I don't drive so that won't be any trouble the only thing that's bugging me is that the doc wants me to wear safety glasses while I work for the first 2 weeks so the kids don't accidentally poke me in the eye, and I'm not looking forward to leaving the house without mascara either - but it's a small price to pay to get rid of these friggin glasses.
    heh... ask her for it when you go in. But yes, like cricketeen mentioned, it goes so quickly that it is over before you know it anyways. I just knew that I was so nervous that I would take advantage of anything that might help me calm my nerves.

MamaC... I forgot about the no contacts for a week before surgery. ACK... that was difficult for me because I hated glasses so much!

Duxxy... you'll love the ugly glasses they give you. On the one hand they completely block out the glare of the sun because they surround your eyes, but they have to be the ugliest darned things. They do ask you to wear them at night so you don't accidentally poke yourself... it is definitely weird to get away from the pushing your glasses up your nose, reaching for them on the nightstand, etc. But it's all worth it.

MRD

My daughter was examined yesterday and needs glasses. Dang kids, you feed 'em, house 'em, clothe 'em and then they have to have glasses and braces and god knows what else! It's a racket I swear! (Just kidding)

I wear reading ones and so far it isn't much of an issue except when I need to read something and I can't find any of the multitudes of pair I have hauled home from the dollar store.

I was with a group of women discussing this surgery and I asked how much it cost. When they told me they had all paid around $4000 for it, I blurted out without thinking: FOR THAT I COULD GET MY BOOBS BACK WHERE THEY BELONG!!!! It was definetly a minute as they all thought it was hysterical. I actually was embarrassed as I typically opened mouth before engaging brain.

But my eye impairment isn't that bad, so the little bit I need to wear glasses doesn't bother me yet.
    I do know quite a few people that had this and say it has been wonderful.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

I didn't think they could repair far-sightedness yet. (for those who need only reading glasses)
    I don't think I would have my eyes repaired if I only needed reading glasses because it's an age thing and your eyes continue to degenerate year by year. This is actually part of the reason I'm having it done now, because I know that I will most likely be wearing reading glasses in this next decade and I don't want to be chained to bi-focals until the end of time.
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Duxxy;2442619;
    I didn't think they could repair far-sightedness yet. (for those who need only reading glasses)
    I don't think I would have my eyes repaired if I only needed reading glasses because it's an age thing and your eyes continue to degenerate year by year. This is actually part of the reason I'm having it done now, because I know that I will most likely be wearing reading glasses in this next decade and I don't want to be chained to bi-focals until the end of time.
    I have no idea what they can fix as I've never considered even looking into it. I've only been wearing reading glasses for a couple years and I'm 45. And right now, I just buy my "cheaters" at the dollar store. Once I can't see through what they sell, then I'll go to the more expensive optical route for glasses.
    But I have actually considered going the optical route and getting bifocals with a clear top as when I have on my reading glasses, if I want to see anything besides what I'm reading, I have to either take them off or wear them on the end of my nose and look over them. Bifocals would clear that up and I could wear my glasses more and not spend so much time looking for them as I could both see far and near.
    My mom had trifocals.

glasses don't bother me. It's the hearing aid I need and have put off getting that bothers me more. I'm too young to be this deaf in one ear. I know I need it, have been tested and told I need it, but am sort of afraid to get one as I also get a lot of ear infections and worry about the hearing aid in the ear causing more of those. But it would be nice to hear stuff again. Although, now, its VERY convenient to pretend I can't hear my family!

The way my eye dr. explained it to me is that lasik corrects the misshapen cornea - which is what nearsightedness is, but it can't cure age-related farsightedness because that is caused by hardening of the muscles that contract to see distance. As we age, they start freezing in place.
    "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." - Mario Andretti

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Or you can do what I did, wait til you need cataract surgery and then get a multi focal lens implant instead of just the distance one. Then you can see at all distances....

MRD

Well last night was an experience. Because of the MS, I needed to use the electric cart in Walmart last night grocery shopping. As I needed my glasses to read my list, but then couldn't see to drive the cart, I'm surprised I didn't leave a trail of victims in my wake as I tried to navigate the grocery aisles.

Now I'm hearing that some of my eye problems may actually be related to the MS and I need an neuro-opthomologist as well as a neurologist.

I just want to see, hear and walk. Is that asking too much? I mean really? Could I have one thing in my body that functions well?

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I was the person who was slightly far-sighted in one eye and a lot more far-sighted in the other eye for my whole life. Miserable condition. At one point, a doc had me wearing near-sighted lenses.....they did not all graduate at the top of their classes. Finally went to contact lenses, and thought they were wonderful....my eyes were happy! Years down the road, my contacts even betrayed me, and that was the end of that! Found the eye surgery docs, and he told me that I was a candidate for Prelex surgery, not LASIK. Prelex is a surgery where they take out your natural lenses, and replace them with artificial lenses...something that is usually done for cataract patients. I've been on easy street ever since, and I will never get cataracts! 2 Easy outpatient surgeries over 2 weeks. They give you Versed, which is one of the best things on the market, IMO. I've never seen so well in my entire life! Insurance did not cover, but it is one the the best, and most worth it things I've ever done for myself in my entire life! And I Can See!!!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Hi ya, had my surgery today at 1:30. Everything is well. I am still wearing the eye sheilds and touch typing so forgive my typos

It's such an easy procedure! Just amazing! The worst part I'd say were the eye clamps - used to keep your eyes open and probably the umm.. smell.
    It was quick and painless. I was out in less than 15 mins * but I seem to have a mild prescription compared with some people.
    Now I have 2 weeks of eyedrops to prevent infection, I have to sleep with the eyesheilds on and voila!
    I can tell you that I am seeing about 100% already!
    If you are considering the surgery, and you have the cash Just Do It!
    I was a little queasy but after the first eye you know exactly what's to come so no problem.

Your eyes do sting a bit, they also tear like crazy... but seriously if you sleep through it like my doctor recommended it's a breeze!

Thanks to everyone for their honest accounts of their experienes, it really gave me the courage to jump in.

+ Reply to Thread