+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: LASIK eye surgery

PWS
    FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by GreekMama View Post
    Those would be them! The theory is if your eyes are really dry it helps keep the tears from draining out so your eyes can stay moist. The dryness I experienced was unusual I was told, but possibly related to the fact that I have a lot of allergies and my eyes tend on the dry side to begin with. It was so bad I couldn't cry even when I wanted to. I looked like a really bad B-movie actress that couldn't muster up the tears for her big scene!
    Great image....

Quote Originally Posted by Broadway View Post

MsFroggy.... chicken.
    How come there's no chicken smiley?
    "Feel the sky blanket you/ With gems and rhinestones/ See the path cut by the moon/ For you to walk on" - EV

Trying to free myself from the snarkside.
    My eye doctor recently recommended LASIK to me, but ever since I saw the episode of the Simpsons where Homer's eye's crusted over after his eye surgery, I've been reluctant.

Re: LASIK eye surgery

OK! I'm finally ready to take the plunge!! Thursday July 5th I will be officially glasses-free for the first time in 25 years!
    I'm scared to death.. they are going to cut my eye and shoot a laser into it
    Reading about all of your successes gave me the extra push to dive in.
    and $2800 is a lot to spend too but I don't have much choice there's only one guy in town
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

DUXXXXXXXXXXXXY! It's the best! Absolutely the best thing that I have ever done for myself!!

The only thing that I apparently didn't mention above is do not listen to people that say "Oh, I could see perfectly as soon as I left the doctor's office." That is pure BS. The first day I wanted to sleep off the valium, and the first week I had a starburst effect from headlights, but it wasn't so bad that it kept me from driving. But that eventually goes away, I promise.

Take the valium just so you don't worry... but it'll be just fine. I'm excited for you!!! No more

I had it done last year, and it was the best present I have ever given myself. I work at a computer all day, and was ready to accept that I may need some glasses for that.
    but to be able to read the clock, my watch, and menus without having to find glasses was what I wanted.
    Had surgery Friday, Reading magazines by Saturday, and back to work Monday. haven't had glasses on since.
    Really. I couldn't stop picking up magazines that weekend just to test it.

I do have a little halo effect,but only time I really noticed it bad was when I was up in a plane at night. Yeah, I don't plan on flying a plane anytime in the future, so not a big deal. Its kind of neat looking though

I couldn't stand to put contacts in . Drove me nuts and then it reached a point where it wouldn't stay no matter how hard I tried.

I had the monovision done - only one eye. But I adjusted quickly and can now see close and far with no problems.

My husband had the monovision thing done about a year ago. He loves it. He also had to wait about a week or a little less to be able to see perfectly clearly, but he saw pretty great immediately after. He said it's the best thing he's ever done.

Me? I'm WAY to chicken to have it done.

I'm in knots thinking about it. um Broadway... the nurse didn't mention any valium when I called. I'm kind of hoping for a little some-um some-um like maybe nitrous lol.
    I don't drive so that won't be any trouble the only thing that's bugging me is that the doc wants me to wear safety glasses while I work for the first 2 weeks so the kids don't accidentally poke me in the eye, and I'm not looking forward to leaving the house without mascara either - but it's a small price to pay to get rid of these friggin glasses.
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Duxxy--be careful also that you don't poke YOURSELF in the eye! I kept trying to push my glasses up, or take them off when I got in bed... several near misses.

My sister had LASIK done in Dec. 2003. I drove her to and from her appointment. When we got back to her house she laid down for a few hours and slept. When her daughters came home from school, she came downstairs. I had CNN on the TV and she could read the little trailers going across the bottoms of the screen....from the other side of the room! The next day she drove herself to the doctor's office. She's had no problems except at times she needs to use reading glasses to read the fine print on medicine bottles, etc. She also had to wear the protective safety glasses for a few days afterwards.

My daughter had hers done in the first week January 2004. I drove her to the appointment as well. She slept afterwards and was fine. She paid a little more, maybe an extra $100 or so, for a lifetime guarantee deal which meant she could have it redone down the road if needed. Since she was only 21 at the time, she felt it was worth it. The only thing that bothered her was that she couldn't wear her contacts, or makeup, for the week prior to surgery. That put a damper on her New Year's Eve plans!

Both love the outcomes. My sister said she can now shave her legs in the shower! Before, she had to get out of the shower, and put her glasses on, in order to shave her legs.

The weirdest thing for me, as an observer, was watching both of them drop off their eyeglasses in a little can (for the Lion's Club) on their way out of the door. I am the kind of person who needs to put my glasses on first thing in the a.m. in order to see the alarm clock. To just toss them into a can on their way out the door, really amazed me!

I've been thinking of getting it done now for a few years but something else always seem to come up money-wise. Plus, I still have to get over the whole "ick" factor of actually having the procedure done.

+ Reply to Thread