+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: LASIK eye surgery

I'm totally going to get this done. Of course, it probably will be in 10 years when the science is perfected (ha!) and the price goes down (double ha!) Each year, my eyesight gets worse. Computers don't help matters either.
    If you go through a lot of hammers each month, I don't think it necessarily means you're a hard worker.
    It may just mean that you have a lot to learn about proper hammer maintenance.

Had it done

I had Lasik eye surgery done almost 10 years ago. It was an impulsive move on my part (borrowed the money from my grandma since I was a poor college student at the time). I was 20/400 prior to the surgery and never was able to wear contacts (always felt like something was in my eye). So I got sick of the glasses because my glasses were funky and plastic and people would invariably say I reminded them of either: Elaine from Seinfeld or Lisa Loeb. That's weird because those two don't even LOOK ALIKE. Anyway, I went to this new place, a chain place, I wouldn't recommend and I won't say it in a public forum as not to get sued. I am pleased with the results because I got very lucky. Even though I suffered a major complication (Diffuse Lamellar Keratitis) which probably resulted from that place not sterilizing their equipment propertly, I escaped with vision that has not faded in neary a decade, and no permanent damage to my peepers (I could have gone blind in a worse case scenario). My advice: DO YOUR RESEARCH! FIND REPUTABLE SURGEONS. Most states Department of Professional Licensure allow you to search any licensed professional online and see if any disciplinary or complaints have been lodged against them. Also don't go to the cheap, chop-job, chain places. Pay the extra money. I should have hit Granny up for more and gone to the Eye and Ear Infirmary :wink

ETA: Feel free to PM me if you have specific questions. Oh, and if they offer you VALIUM before the procedure, TAKE IT!

Petunia, I had lasik done January 27, 2005 and it was honestly the best thing I have ever done for myself. I absolutely love the results; was -4.75 and -5.75 in my eyes... and now I have 15/20 vision that has remained over a year after surgery.

I, too, was very nervous about my ability to sit still. I must have asked them 20 times about what would happen if I blinked or wiggled. They do give you valium if you'd like it in the mini-waiting room (and I agree... take it!) What I found is that you can't blink as they brace your eyes open and if you wiggle a little the laser would immediately shut off. It's only awkward for a brief moment, as each eye takes less than a minute to complete. You're laying back on a reclined chair and they brace your eye open. With a small swab they put a chemical on your eye that completely numbs it and then you just see the doc move his finger move over your eye. In that split second your eye has been cut. You stare at the blinking red light above you and the nurse counts down the 30 seconds it takes for the laser to do it's work. It stops, they brush your cornea back in place, and you're done with that eye. Repeat procedure on the other eye.

As soon as that's done you are able to walk back into the miniwaiting room back in the office and you wait for a nurse to come inspect your eyes. After she's done... you're free to go. Ten minutes from the time I walked in the door to the time I left.

I can't believe the others haven't mentioned the absolutely fabulous, fashionable black glasses that they give you free of charge! They nearly top the fact that I can now see the alarm clock immediately when I awaken in the morning. I can see in the shower... I can see underwater... my eyes don't dry out when I blow dry my hair or when it's a windy day... it's just the best!

I do know one person that had a miscut his first time in the office, but they put the medicine on him and he was able to go back 30 days later and had it done successfully. I also know that the doctor that I went to refuses to do the surgery on approximately 40% of the people that come to him because they aren't good candidates for one medical reason or another. I wonder if some of the people that have had serious issues after the fact were warned by the doctors about a condidition and went ahead with the surgery anyways.
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

PWS
    FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by Broadway View Post
    I also know that the doctor that I went to refuses to do the surgery on approximately 40% of the people that come to him because they aren't good candidates for one medical reason or another. I wonder if some of the people that have had serious issues after the fact were warned by the doctors about a condidition and went ahead with the surgery anyways.
    Do you know what kinds of conditions make you not a good candidate? Is it age? Or a disease like diabetes that might slow healing? Or astigmatism? Or what? Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Broadway View Post

I wonder if some of the people that have had serious issues after the fact were warned by the doctors about a condidition and went ahead with the surgery anyways.
    I don't know about the others, but I was an ideal candidate. It was just the chop-shop place I went to. When I went to the Eye and Ear infirmary for follow-up they said they had seen a ton of patients from that center, and that particular complication (diffuse lamellar keratitis) usually results from improper cleaning of instruments and equipments. I almost forgot about those sexy glasses though. Darn, too bad I didn't save them. Reminded me of old folks after cataract surgery!

Quote Originally Posted by PWS View Post
    Do you know what kinds of conditions make you not a good candidate? Is it age? Or a disease like diabetes that might slow healing? Or astigmatism? Or what? Thanks!
    Usually astigmatism. I know they do it on diabetics with retinopathy quite frequently; I know an older man, brittle diabetic, that was losing his sight and they were able to correct him to the point where he could see. I think in some cases, if you have a very mild astigmatism, they may be able to do it. My husband is not a candidate because of his degree of astigmatism. They also do warn you that if you have VERY large pupils, to be aware that you may always experience ghosting and halos (fuzzy rings around lights). My pupils are very large and while I did have some "halos" in the first year or two, now I have none. I also forgot to say that some people experience extremely dry eyes as a result. I had punctal plugs placed about 4 months after my lasik and they are fine and I have had no problem since then.

PWS
    FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by GreekMama View Post
    Usually astigmatism. I know they do it on diabetics with retinopathy quite frequently; I know an older man, brittle diabetic, that was losing his sight and they were able to correct him to the point where he could see. I think in some cases, if you have a very mild astigmatism, they may be able to do it. My husband is not a candidate because of his degree of astigmatism. They also do warn you that if you have VERY large pupils, to be aware that you may always experience ghosting and halos (fuzzy rings around lights). My pupils are very large and while I did have some "halos" in the first year or two, now I have none. I also forgot to say that some people experience extremely dry eyes as a result. I had punctal plugs placed about 4 months after my lasik and they are fine and I have had no problem since then.
    Punctal plugs? Would that be plugs in the holes that drain tears into your nose?
    Thanks for all that info!

I thought about having LASIK done but I have a very mild prescription, -1 in both eyes. After reading this thread and some of the descriptions about cutting the cornea and Valium and such, I think I'm going to stick with my contacts , which are a recent thing for me anyway after 10 years of wearing glasses. Maybe in 10 years or if my eyes should get worse, I'll reconsider .
    "Feel the sky blanket you/ With gems and rhinestones/ See the path cut by the moon/ For you to walk on" - EV

I have astigmatism as well and was able to get the surgery but no, I am not an extreme case. I can't speak the lingo, but I know one of the concerns is having overly veinous eyes, and the shape of your cornea can also make it difficult to have satisfactory results.

I couldn't have custom Lasik because I didn't have the ability to lose focus (something like that.) You know those pictures where if you stare long enough eventually you'll be able to see another hidden picture? I can't see those and this test was similar.

MsFroggy.... chicken.
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

Quote Originally Posted by PWS View Post
    Punctal plugs? Would that be plugs in the holes that drain tears into your nose?
    Thanks for all that info!
    Those would be them! The theory is if your eyes are really dry it helps keep the tears from draining out so your eyes can stay moist. The dryness I experienced was unusual I was told, but possibly related to the fact that I have a lot of allergies and my eyes tend on the dry side to begin with. It was so bad I couldn't cry even when I wanted to. I looked like a really bad B-movie actress that couldn't muster up the tears for her big scene!

+ Reply to Thread