+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: LASIK eye surgery

In my own little world where all things are Idol......
    Quote Originally Posted by Terena79
    You know that test the eye doctor does with the machine that blows air into your eye? I can't even handle that! It scares me and I jump and flinch and the doctor can't get a clear enough view.

OMG...that's me too....my eye starts jumping and blinking...it makes me crazy and I know its just A-I-R they're gonna blow into it....I don't know that I could handle someone slicing my eyeball and stuff....and anyway...contacts aren't so bad........
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

FORT Newbie

Laser Eye Surgery Anyone?

I'm thinking of getting laser eye surgery so I don't have to deal with always having to wear my glasses (I have a permanent red mark on my nose from them ). I've been reading up on laser eye surgery but wanted to know if anyone out there has any real stories to share with me. And if so, was it worth it?

Thanks!

Petunia, I merged your question with an old thread, so hopefully you'll find some helpful information in here.

FORT Newbie
    Thanks Amanda

I thought I was losing it when I logged back on only to find a three page thread at the top of the General Discussions thread about this topic when I had just checked.

Thought I had to get my eyes checked. (sorry, bad joke).

I had it done...I forget how long ago--definitely within a year. I would recommend it. It's easy--the "surgery" literally took 10 minutes.

I love it! It was totally worth it to me in that I used to wear gas permeable lenses which always made my eyes itch, I couldn't go outside if it was breezy, etc. Now my sight is better than ever!
    "You don't own a TV?!? What's all your furniture pointed at?" Joey Tribianni

It's not who you are underneath, but what you do that defines you.

I know two or three people that had this done and all had very positive experiences. Just research your doctors beforehand.

My mother is in her 50's and had hers done last year after wearing a very strong prescription since childhood. She LOVES it. She says she would have done it years before if she could have. She really loves not having to wear glasses or contacts on roller coasters.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

In my own little world where all things are Idol......
    I took a good friend of mine to have his done back in October/November....he was in and out within 15 minutes...they gave him a small dosage of valium when he first got there to calm his nerves....after the surgery, I took him home, he slept for maybe 2 hours and has never had a problem since. He absolutely loves it...said it was some of the best $$ he had ever spent!! I'd like to have it done but my contacts aren't really a big deal to me and I've got a thing about someone fooling with my eyeballs....its a weird hangup I have...I don't mind pressing and poking around on my eyeball but I'm scared about lasik and even tho I'm a organ donor...they are not allowed to have my eyes!
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

Fort Member
    I have worn glasses since I was 5 and contact lenses since early teens. It has never bothered me and I like to get different tinted lenses just for fun and to match my outfits some days my eyes are green, other days they are blue.
    Anyway my brother in law and a good friend of the family both decided to have the lasik surgery with mixed results, my brother in law loves it and has had no illeffects, the family friend regrets it, her eyes are permently blood shot and she had to go back a couple of times to try and fix it without any success.
    I did ask my optometrist but he told me it would be a waste of money for me due to the severity of my astigmatism and my age, not that I was serious just curious.Evne if he had recommended it I couldnt have done it,like bbnbama, I can poke around in my eyes all morning putting my contacts in but put a needle near them and I am going to freak, plus I think my contacts and glasses are a part of my personality, without my lazy eyes I would be just like eyeryone else. LOL

I've been considering it for a few years but the most reputable place in town charges about $1500 per eye, where if I travel to Atlanta, I could get it down for about $1500 total or even much less. Fear of my eyes getting messed up is my number one deterrant though. I've heard of people getting the halo effect afterwards which affects their night vision and I think Kathy Griffin had a serious mishap with hers.

I think it just depends on your particular eye situation. At least you'll get a consultation first and can be determined if you're even a candidate. But even then, make sure you go to someone that's performed many, many, many of them and get testimonials if possible.

I'm still thinking about it but don't know if I'll have take the leap. Too much longer and I'll probably be too old

It is the best thing I ever did. Had it done in 1997. I have to go for an eye exam soon, I think it's slowly deterioritaing but so far, my eyesight has been great and it's almost been 9 yrs. (my vision before the operation was -8 in each eye, very , very bad!)

+ Reply to Thread