+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: LASIK eye surgery

just above the horizon, but below the ozone
    I for one, am one of the few who have to worry about that. I can read the bottom line of the eye chart with no problem. One in a thousand can for the doc i go to. he said when my bvision gets up to 20/20 I am going to think i can't see too well. I always wondered why my wife could never see the street signs like i could. the eye doc? cause my near vision is going kaput

Here's the thread from when I had LASIK over a year ago.

My LASIK experience

I was very nervous about the surgery, especially the day before, but it worked out really well. I can answer very specific questions about my own experience if you'd like.
    When you're ten years old and a car drives by and splashes a puddle of water all over you, it's hard to decide if you should go to school like that or try to go home and change and probably be late. So while he was trying to decide, I drove by and splashed him again. - Jack Handey

Read Paulie's Precaps for Survivor:Vanuatu: 1-2-3-4-5

Quote Originally Posted by Paulie
    Here's the thread from when I had LASIK over a year ago.
    My LASIK experience
    Thank you!!

BTW: If anyone has the name of a Dr. (Good ones or ones to stay away from) in South Orange County, you can PM me if you don't want to post it.

Thanks

Not to be the naysayer because all the posts so far seem positive...but, I guess I know most of the people who haven't been happy with their surgery. These people have had constant irritation with a dry, gritty feeling to their eyes with resultant tearing (as in watering, not ripping) which they find quite painful. Working with computers probably worsens the eye problems they experience. I do live in a very dry climate, and I'm sure that is a factor, as well. One guy is moving to a different climate because his is so bad. Some people have had worse vision than what they started out with and have to hold their head at a weird angle to be able to see.

The important thing to remember with this is that once it's done, it's permanent. If your eyes were correctable with contacts or glasses prior to surgery, you cannot fall back on that if the surgery changed your vision for the worse. In my mind, that is why a lot of people (including eye doctors) don't have it done. Chances are the surgery will be successful, but there is always a risk....
    Paintin' the Town Blue!

The fact that it's irreversible is exactly why I was very nervous. As you say, there's always a risk. And some people have had negative outcomes. My eyes were dry for quite some time after the procedure (maybe...six months?), but it was just a minor annoyance to me and now they're fine. I, too, live in a very dry climate and I work on computers all day and, as I said in the other thread, I have ocular allergies. That's probably why it took so long to fully heal. A friend in my office recovered almost instantly.

Like any elective surgery, you need to at least try to come to grips with the worst case outcome before you go in because it might happen.
    When you're ten years old and a car drives by and splashes a puddle of water all over you, it's hard to decide if you should go to school like that or try to go home and change and probably be late. So while he was trying to decide, I drove by and splashed him again. - Jack Handey

If anyone is considering it, it is 1/4 the cost in Canada....Lots of Americans come up here. The reason it's cheaper, is we don't have the malpractice suits like in America. Even with airfare, accomodation etc, you'll still save a lot of money.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Meanie
    Chances are the surgery will be successful, but there is always a risk....
    Oh yeah, there is always a risk. . . I'm really tired of my glasses. I will probably just stick with contacts but I wanted to see what everyone here thought. (I don't wear contacts full time as I see so much better with my glasses)
    Once something with your eye sight goes wrong, there's no going back. Also, who's to say what the long term side effects are, if any, say 25 years from now?

There has been quite a bit of research done on corneal surgery, BTW. It's been around a lot longer than LASIK, and it appears that the long-term negative effects are minimal, possibly even non-existent. I thought it was worth the risk at 32 to take a shot at several years of perfect vision. Others would make a different choice, I'm sure.

Paulie, does this type of surgery only correct those how are near or far sighted. I was talking about this type of surgery with someone last week.

Good for you that it worked out so well!

When I consulted a surgeon about it (a few years ago) eldee, he said it was for short-sightedness only. I don't know if that's still the case. He did mention that what could very likely happen is far-sightedness 20-30 years after surgery, and that many people would have to use reading glasses (which would still be better than needing corrective lenses for seeing everything else, of course).
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

+ Reply to Thread