+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: LASIK eye surgery

Does anyone have a good recommendation for a Dr. in Southern CA?

Just a note to those of you considering it...I recently went to the optometrist and he told me if I was thinking about it, not to do it, as apparently my eyes are improving with age (I'm short-sighted). This is noteworthy because a lasik surgeon was willing to perform the surgery for me. Visit your own optometrist/opthamologist first.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Quote Originally Posted by evalaruefan
    Terena, I'm a big chicken for things but trust me it really isn't bad. They freeze your eye and you honestly don't feel it, atleast I didn't it.

But can you see the laser shooting into your eye? And is your head restrained so you can't chicken out and turn away? I would need that.

ETA: You know that test the eye doctor does with the machine that blows air into your eye? I can't even handle that! It scares me and I jump and flinch and the doctor can't get a clear enough view.
    "You better shut your mouth when you're talkin' to me!"

Quote Originally Posted by Terena79
    But can you see the laser shooting into your eye? And is your head restrained so you can't chicken out and turn away? I would need that.

ETA: You know that test the eye doctor does with the machine that blows air into your eye? I can't even handle that! It scares me and I jump and flinch and the doctor can't get a clear enough view.
    You can't blink for a short time but they tape your eye quite well and I don't remember about moving the head but I'm quite sure you can't. I hate those tests too and I always feel sick when they do it.

You don't really see the laser shooting in your eye, or atleast I didn't. I just saw something black coming down and there's a little bit of pressure on the eye for a short time. I was extremely determined to get it done so I kept telling myself to stay focused and I will be able to see for the 1st time in a long time and that really helped.

My husband had it done about 4 years ago...very pleased with the results. He could see 20/20 right away, and considering he was wearing glasses and contacts from the time he was about 8, he was really happy about seeing without help.
    Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day---Harry S. Truman

It's all a Mystery to Me KaiCee's Avatar
    I would love to get this done, but it just looks too scary! I've seen it done on tv, and they actually slice into your eye, don't they? I might consider it if I could be asleep during it. Do you have to be awake?
    I had it done...it's a piece of cake. They don't actually slice anything that you are aware of (they cut a flap on the very top layer - but you are lying under a microscopy thingy with a light show going on - don't you love my techie terms No pain at all. They gave me something to make me go to sleep and rest after I got home. But there was absolutely zero pain or discomfort.

Pre surgery, I couldn't see far away and had to wear glasses or contacts to see anything. (like driving, movies, TV). I could read and see close up without glasses.

Post surgery, I don't need glasses for far away vision...but I now have to wear glasses for reading which I didn't before the Lasik. I'm 50+ years old...and most people lose some close up vision at my age. I probably would have lost it anyway. I am not sure if they do Lasik for both near-sighted vision and far-sighted vision now, do they? I know they were close to perfecting it back in 2000 when I had mine done. Kaicee
    When you learn, teach. When you get, give. ~ Maya Angelou

Quote Originally Posted by Marley
    Does anyone have a good recommendation for a Dr. in Southern CA?
    I know a good doctor in Santa Barbara...but that's a bit up the coast from you. Just make sure you don't go to one of those docs that advertise on radio stations in the LA area....$200 bucks an eye or some low cost like that. You get what you pay for and these are your eyes...

Get references from friends (I got mine from my vet, my physician, and my now-replaced psychologist....they all had gone to the same guy)

The whole surgery is a lot less unpleasant than that danged glaucoma air test, John. I hate that test!! Too bad it's so important to have...I would decline it gracefully every time if they would let me.

In Lasik, I didn't notice anything that held my head still -- but it's only a milisecond that they you need to be completely still. I had a few nurses in the room....maybe they took care of the squirm factor. I was just enjoying the light show I never felt restrained though. Kaicee

I've been a bad, bad girl Siryn's Avatar
    I had a similar procedure done about 6 months ago called PRK (photorefractive keratectomy) - a dilute acid is used to remove the top layer of the membrane over the eye so that the laser could work on the eye. I had this procedure because my corneas were too thin for the LASIK procedure, which cuts a flap in the cornea for the laser to work on the eyes. I think PRK takes a little longer to heal, but it is just as effective. My vision is now at 20/15 (better than 20/20) and while I still have a little glow around light sources, it's been really good. Find a good doctor with a good laser, like the Bausch & Lomb laser.

Quote Originally Posted by KaiCee
    Just make sure you don't go to one of those docs that advertise on radio stations in the LA area....$200 bucks an eye or some low cost like that. You get what you pay for and these are your eyes...

Get references from friends (I got mine from my vet, my physician, and my now-replaced psychologist....they all had gone to the same guy)
    Oh yeah - I'd never go to one of those "Get one eye done, get the 2nd one free" Drs.

BTW: I sometimes wonder if LASIK is so great, why do so many Eye Drs. themselves wear glasses?

+ Reply to Thread