+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Celebs in politics

Celebs in politics

WHY?

When I was in college, theatre arts was where people went who couldn't graduate with a challenging degree. So why do they now think they have all the answers for the worlds problems?

Ted Dansen said the world would end in ten years. He said it 15 years ago yet people still ask him to speak about the environment. Bah!

Why in the hell are Ed Asner and Mike Farrel experts on capitol punishment?

Why are any celebrities EVER allowed to testify in front of Congress? OMG that makes me crazy!

I think Bono is the worst right now trying to get us to forgive third world debt. Wow, it's real hard to give away OTHER people's money isn't it?

Movie and TV stars live in a sheltered world and know nothing about how civilization functions. They are just surrounded by yes-men who tell them they are gods on a daily basis and so they start to believe it.

They need to go back to just entertaining people and let people think for themselves.

OK I'm done for today, I promise!

It ain't easy being green Wayner's Avatar
    I agree with you completely, Bonker.

With the exception of Ronald Reagan.

Regan never asked for money or did anything foolish. He gained influence the way the founders intended it, by running for office and winning.

Certainly there are some celebs who have their act together and are well educated on their subject. They are just far outnumbered by the crackpots.

I like to think that these celebrities would feel pasionate about these causes no matter what they did for a living. I have opinions about political issues, but because I'm a "nobody" I won't be heard to the extent that these people will... more power to them for using their celebrity status to get their voice heard... that, of course, doesn't mean I agree with all of them
    "Rice is great when you're hungry and want 2,000 of something' -- Mitch Hedberg

LG.
    Intereresting topic. Barbara Streisand has publically stated that she thinks President Bush was responsible for Senator Paul Wellstone's death in a plane crash a month ago (that killed not only Wellstone and his wife and daughters but also 5 others). That is enough "proof" I have to never listen to that crackpot for the rest of her existence.

On a lighter note, Fred Grandy was Gopher on the Love Boat and a Congressman from Iowa for years. I still shudder at the thought of it.
    Help fight cystic fibrosis or just learn more about it at the cystic fibrosis foundation website, www.cff.org and help give my little guy a better future.

COMBAT MISSIONS junkie! BravoFan's Avatar
    I agree they should just stay out of it. Heck, I'd be happy if they stayed out of everything (entertainment included) and we only had reality tv shows.

Just think...we could have 6 seasons of TAR seasons for 1 episode of Friends.
    "They can only edit what you give them. They cannot manufacture a fictional character out of thin air." (Bill Rancic - 4/04)
    Regarding editing reality TV: "You can't edit IN a bad personality." ("Cali"-11/02)
    BB8 - A "conveyor belt of human garbage." ("Pono" - 9/07)

Streisand is a prime example of someone rambling on like... well Jan...

She is more than entitled to her opinion, and while it is annoying to me, I find no fault in people using their celebrity to advance an agenda on something they believe in... no matter how kooky.

But I do find fault with the media, lets say a show like the Today show, who allow these people to come on, and posit these unfounded claims, without challenge, and thus almost endorsing them as valid.

Striesand can come on and say things unchalleged, but if a politician came on and said... lets say Vince Foster was killed under unusual circumstances, then the challenges and ridicule would be coming quickly.

Just be fair. That's all I ask.
    "George Oscar Bluth II, aka GOB, featured magician in the best selling videotape, "Girls With Low Self Esteem" invites you to enter his world.
    -- Arrested Development, Season III

COMBAT MISSIONS junkie! BravoFan's Avatar
    I agree Bill. The media is mostly to blame for this.

The most unfortunate thing is that we have so many uneducated and frankly, unINTERESTED people today that could care less about watching the news, reading the paper, and finding out what is going on in the world. It is not only quite possible, but most likely, that the only "information" they get on current events is what they hear come out of the mouths of celebrities. It's frightening and infuriating to me at the same time.
    "They can only edit what you give them. They cannot manufacture a fictional character out of thin air." (Bill Rancic - 4/04)
    Regarding editing reality TV: "You can't edit IN a bad personality." ("Cali"-11/02)
    BB8 - A "conveyor belt of human garbage." ("Pono" - 9/07)

"On a lighter note, Fred Grandy was Gopher on the Love Boat and a Congressman from Iowa for years."

And the guy who played "Cooter" in the Dukes of Hazzard was a congressman from Georgia until Newt won his seat. And don't forget Sony Bono! LOL

Glad to see more people seeing the light on Barbara Streisand

It's fine that they have opinions, but ehy use their star power to actually influence the direction of the country and that irks me. Nothing really wrong with it, it just irks me. I guess because 99% of them fall FAR to the left of my own opinions. I can't find a thing wrong with Heston which I guess makes me a hyppocrite huh?

"I agree they should just stay out of it. Heck, I'd be happy if they stayed out of everything (entertainment included) and we only had reality tv shows. "

Reality TV scares the hell out of actors because they see that anyone can be entertaining and maybe they aren't so special. That's why the screen actors guild sued "COPS" when i first came on, because they didn't pay the actors.

Sleeping with George W
    Originally posted by Wayner
    I agree with you completely, Bonker.

With the exception of Ronald Reagan.
    Wow ... and here I was ready to say it all started with Reagan and should have stopped one day before that!

But, aside from my distaste for Mr. Reagan ... I agree with those who've said that if celebrities want to use their status to raise money for or advance causes, then they should do so. It's up to the public whether or not they want to listen to it or act on it.

And ... a "nobody" can also make a lot of difference if they put their mind, time and effort into it. Look at people like Candy Lightner who founded MADD and John Walsh of America's Most Wanted. Both were nobodies and they pretty much moved mountains.

America is founded on the free expression of opinion and Barbra Streisand has that right ... looney or not.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast