+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Celebs in politics

It ain't easy being green Wayner's Avatar
    Barbara Streisand has publically stated that she thinks President Bush was responsible for Senator Paul Wellstone's death in a plane crash a month ago
    And I'm here to publicly state that I think Barbara Streisand was responsible for every time I've thrown up in the last 10 years.

Yes, she's entitled to her opinion. But I get the sense from Ms. Streisand that she feels that her opinion is more important than everyone else's. And no wonder she's not happy with Bush, she was hoping we'd become a monarchy ruled by Queen Barb.

I think that Miss F and Fluff made an interesting observation about politics in the US. I'm a Republican, but I personally don't think that either the Republicans or the Democrats are all right or all wrong; I think both sides have some good qualities and some bad. I agree with some positions from both sides. I've voted in every election I've been eligible to vote in, and I've never once voted a straight Republican ticket.

I think that people that blame all our country's problems on one party or the other are uninformed twits. Example: a guy in my office voted a straight Democrat ticket in the last election. When I probed him on what he liked about each of the candidates he said "Well, I really don't know anything about them - but they have to be better than the Republicans."

Originally posted by Bonker
    Nothing really wrong with it, it just irks me. I guess because 99% of them fall FAR to the left of my own opinions. I can't find a thing wrong with Heston which I guess makes me a hyppocrite huh?
    *biting tongue*...

Originally posted by cali
    heston... now I see why you complain
    Ooohhhh, I don't like that gun carrying man's views one bit
    Cali!

LG.
    Getting back to Wayner's point about voting a straight party ticket or splitting your ballot based on individual candidates, eons ago in college I had a major in political science and one of my professors taught that for long-term political change voters need to vote straight ticket so that politicians get the message that they are voting for the party platform and not for the individuals, and that if their party platform is not resonating with the voters that they need to change their platform in caucus. Political theory is lovely, but voters are ill informed and make illogical choices, so I vote a split ticket too, knowing that who we elect will be making choices for us for the next 2, 4 or 6 years. I sure can't count on my fellow Minnesotans to be informed voters after Jesse Ventura was elected (with 35% of the vote, not mine that's for sure) 4 years ago. What an idiot that guy is, and the people who voted for him couldn't have spent more than 2 minutes thinking about what he'd do as governor because Jesse didn't spend that much time talking about it, all his ads were stupid trash talk with no substance. Now, 4 years later, he's leaving office with a 4 million dollar budget deficit (he took over with a 4 million dollar surplus) and is pointing the finger of blame at everyone else except himself. It's the voters who pick leaders based on what's hip instead of who would serve their interests the best. Waaaaaay tooooo much attention in the media on what celebrities think about way too many things.
    Help fight cystic fibrosis or just learn more about it at the cystic fibrosis foundation website, www.cff.org and help give my little guy a better future.

COMBAT MISSIONS junkie! BravoFan's Avatar
    I actually also think the perception that the US is all left or right wing is also the fault of the media.

Most reasonable people are neither what I would define as "left" or "right" wing. Most people are just in the middle, work hard, and just want to live their lives.

There are issues I have with both parties that I don't agree with.
    "They can only edit what you give them. They cannot manufacture a fictional character out of thin air." (Bill Rancic - 4/04)
    Regarding editing reality TV: "You can't edit IN a bad personality." ("Cali"-11/02)
    BB8 - A "conveyor belt of human garbage." ("Pono" - 9/07)

Sleeping with George W
    Originally posted by lurkinggirl
    Waaaaaay tooooo much attention in the media on what celebrities think about way too many things.
    Couldn't agree more. Unfortunately we have a celebrity obsessed culture. That's not the fault of the media ... they sell what people will buy ... but it does become a vicious cycle. News coverage of Winona Ryder's trial verdict interrupted coverage of Alan Greenspan lowering interest rates! Ridiculous.

Now, if we reallllly want to get mad, lets start a thread on "celebrity justice."

No kidding. Don't get me started on OJ.
    If you go through a lot of hammers each month, I don't think it necessarily means you're a hard worker.
    It may just mean that you have a lot to learn about proper hammer maintenance.

COMBAT MISSIONS junkie! BravoFan's Avatar
    I'm tellin ya...it's a simple solution. Year round eps of TAR and Combat Missions on all networks No celebrities necessary
    "They can only edit what you give them. They cannot manufacture a fictional character out of thin air." (Bill Rancic - 4/04)
    Regarding editing reality TV: "You can't edit IN a bad personality." ("Cali"-11/02)
    BB8 - A "conveyor belt of human garbage." ("Pono" - 9/07)

It ain't easy being green Wayner's Avatar
    I like Bravo's idea!

Woohoo! BRAVO for President, 2004! Choose a vice, and we'll officially establish the FORT party.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast