+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: And another thing!

And another thing!

Since I'm ranting today....

I'm sick to death of celebrities who take up a charitable cause only after they are personally afflicted with the disease.

Just once I'd like to see a celeb spending his own money and time to raise money for something he/she doesn't have.

And AIDS doesn't count because we all know the only reason they raise money for AIDS is because it is fashionable to do and is good for their careers. If they really cared about saving lives then the'd raise money for cancer instead since it kills many MANY times more people each year and actually could be cured.

Even the beloved Chris Reeve...what was his cause before his accident? His cause was to ride horses and not give a rats ass about sick people who could have really used his help.

I'm sick of them asking us for money and not disclosing how much THEY are contributing which I bet, in most cases is zero. They think their precious time is worth more than their money and they can't seem to give both.

Did I mention that I don't think too hightly of celebrites?

Re: And another thing!

Originally posted by Bonker
    Since I'm ranting today....

I'm sick to death of celebrities who take up a charitable cause only after they are personally afflicted with the disease.

Just once I'd like to see a celeb spending his own money and time to raise money for something he/she doesn't have.
    Elton John doesn't have AIDS...Elizabeth Taylor doesn't have AIDS...

And AIDS doesn't count because we all know the only reason they raise money for AIDS is because it is fashionable to do and is good for their careers.
    Are you serious? You think the only reason celebs raise money for AIDS is because "it's fashionable to do so and is good for their careers"? Yeah, Elton John's career sure was in the dumpster before he started his AIDS foundation. And that Elizabeth Taylor broad? What kind of talent was she? Man, that foundation of hers sure saved her from a life of obscurity...

If they really cared about saving lives then the'd raise money for cancer instead since it kills many MANY times more people each year and actually could be cured.
    Cancer does kill many more people each year than AIDS does, that's true. But, because AIDS kills fewer people, we shouldn't conduct research and testing to find a cure? What about back when cancer was "new on the scene"? If scientists/doctors/etc. hadn't done their research and testing then, the treatments/therapies that have been found for cancer would never have been discovered. What's the difference between the situation with cancer back then and the situation with AIDS now?

Good point. Cetainly there are exceptions to my statements. Let me ponder a while

Bonker, you are certainly entitled to your opinions. I'm even glad you shared them, but I couldn't disagree more. I'm sure there are celebrities that are hypocrites, just as there are hypocrites in all walks of life. It's their time, their money, and they don't owe any particular cause.

If curing cancer is your number one cause, I wish you much success in your efforts to raise money for research. If anybody else decides that their number one cause is some other disease, I would wish them success in raising money regardless of how many people are afflicted with it.

Iím haunted a little this evening by feelings that have no vocabulary and events that should be explained in dimensions of lint rather than words.
    -Richard Brautigan

Ah, Bonker... I have to agree with those above.

I'm not a celebrity, but the only human cause I support is cancer research... even then I'm picky (they have to be animal friendly testing places). I only do this because cancer has touched my family directly.
    I am happy that anyone gives time and money to a cause, no matter their reasons for doing so
    "Rice is great when you're hungry and want 2,000 of something' -- Mitch Hedberg

Princess
    Bonker.... I think I know what you mean, though I might be comepletely wrong of course. My take on it is... why does it need a celebrity to get engaged in something to get the money? If they want to put money into research - then fine, but really, fighthing diseases should not be depentent on the good will of any celebrity, that fight should be fought by everyone. So, give the money to existing research projects... but don't make a big deal about it. Jmo.

eny
    FORT Fogey
    It all goes back to that Mitzvah thing.

Elizabeth Taylor's daughter in law contracted aids , thats when she became an activist , and Elton just is a good guy .I think these people were honest and sincere in there desire to make a difference.They continue to work on the Aids campaign.

What I think Bonker is trying to say is that some folks just aren't sincere and jump to the "cause du jour" just for publicity. I think back to beginning of the Aids campaign and ALL the celebs had the ribbons on . Now they are mostly gone - the problem isn't. It's just that the bandwagon types have gone on to something else - sad but true.
    What I like to hear is for example - there is a certain hockey player ( its always hockey I know) who quietly gives 5 thou a year to the toy drive and 10 thou to the food bank at Christmas. Amongst other probably just as quiet donations.When he is asked about it, he doesn't want to answer the questions.
    Other celebs would show up at the door with a monster cheque trailing media for a photo op on what a great person they are.

I think it's great that celebs give to charity or medical research, regardless of their motives. I think the Bonk was trying to say that certain celebs are being selfish, as they're only concerned with curing the diseases that personally affect them (or people that they are close to). I wish more celebs, because of their money & influence, would do more to help all of humanity. I believe heart disease is the #1 killer for both men & women in America, ahead of even cancer (somebody check for me, but I think that's right). Yet I can't think of a single celeb who gives money or speaks out on awareness issues relating to heart disease. Does anybody know what color the ribbon is for heart disease? Not a popular cause, sadly. But bottom line, we're not necessarily upset at celebs for what they do, but for what they don't do. Did that make any sense at all?

I think that celebs who speak out on various diseases are not necessarily thinking that they don't care about other diseases. It is the situation of being a spokesperson for that cause that leads to a one sided view.

I applaud those who actually do get involved and use their celebrity to advance the cause.

On the other hand, I am getting tired of the endless stream of "my-career-is-in-ruins-so-I-must-have-an-addiction-and/or-tragedy-in-my-past-that-can-only-be-told-now" on E!
    "George Oscar Bluth II, aka GOB, featured magician in the best selling videotape, "Girls With Low Self Esteem" invites you to enter his world.
    -- Arrested Development, Season III

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast