+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: And another thing!

Ah! Thanks enygma and jodar! That's pretty much my points put in a much less offensive way.

I think it's GREAT that celebs do good and charitable work. It just bugs me when it's purely selfish.

I am glad they quit wearing those ribbons though.

Sleeping with George W
    If someone being selfish raises millions of dollars to put an end to any kind of useless tragedy on this earth, then I'm willing to forgive them their selfishness AND put them on the cover of Rolling Stone.

I agree with Eden's comment.
    Even if the celebrity is doing the charity for their own selfish reasons, they are still raising tons of money that will help in the research for cancer, aids, juvenile diabetes, etc. Many charities get a lot more money if they have a celebrity for a spokesperson. It's sad, but that's the way things are.

Plus celebrities help educate the public when they wouldn't listen to the boring facts of a disease. I was working with the Alzheimer's Association when it was announced that Rita Hayworth had it, and her daughter's work with the Association and the ability to reach an audience who could put a face with a disease helped alot. Fund raising and getting research money is a sad fact of life for many of these groups and every little bit helps. My grandmother's story of how her life changed with this awful disease is just as sad but would raise little money, where as Rita's family and now Ronald Reagen's family and Dear Abby's family can raise alot more money and alot more awareness of what this disease is.

stepping down off of my little soap box
    I could go east, I could go west, it was all up to me to decide. Just then I saw a young hawk flyin' and my soul began to rise. ~Bob Seger

Originally posted by enygma
    What I like to hear is for example - there is a certain hockey player ( its always hockey I know) who quietly gives 5 thou a year to the toy drive and 10 thou to the food bank at Christmas. Amongst other probably just as quiet donations.When he is asked about it, he doesn't want to answer the questions.
    Other celebs would show up at the door with a monster cheque trailing media for a photo op on what a great person they are.
    I know what you're saying, eny, but I think that if that celebrity can bring hundreds of thousands (or millions or whatever) of dollars to a cause, I'm willing to allow them the self-indulgence of the media/photo op.

Originally posted by Eden
    If someone being selfish raises millions of dollars to put an end to any kind of useless tragedy on this earth, then I'm willing to forgive them their selfishness AND put them on the cover of Rolling Stone.

It is so nice that we can come together and discuss these issues without judgement or anger.

BONKER, YOU ARE SO SILLY!

I would give my LIFE to find a cure for whatever disease my loved one had. I would DIE to find a cure to wipe out even one disease for the rest of the world. I think it is more imprtant to raise awareness about the diseases so that more money can be raised and people around the world can find out how serious each one is. Who cares if these people have just one person or they themselves have the disease, we are all benefitting from their participation in finding a cure! What are YOU doing about any disease? Personally, I am donating money to several organizations. If I were famous and I thought anyone would listen to me about raising awareness about a disease, you bet I would! I would not care who thought I was BEING TRENDY or SELFISH. Let's all raise money and cure everything. Multiple Sclerosis, Juvenille and adult diabetes, ovarian or any other kind of cancer. These are just a few that have affected people that I know/n and love/ed.

Well said, Feifer.

I say, let the celebrities flaunt their donations to medical reasearch if they want. All that counts is that they are donating, and their endorsements may influence the "nobodies" of the world to donate money themselves.

Why bite off the hand that feeds you?

Bravo, Feif!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12