+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sometimes you never know...

Sometimes you never know...

I'm going to vent here for a moment, and I appreciate everyone's indulgence.

I've had a few instances in my life where I was horribly wrong in my assessment of another person. I would guess that we all have. I've misjudged coworkers, former friends, and an ex-wife, but in the end you chalk it up to "never really knowing someone until you have been around them for years".

Well, even that expectation can get blown out of the water, and this happened to me on Monday night. I was watching CSI - Miami, still trying to get into that show, and there it was...

...a preview of the news at 11 o'clock, the announcer says "a local prominent insurance business owner is arraigned today on 17 counts of fraud." I dropped my can of soda as I watch my uncle, being paraded in front of a Judge, in the prison garb and handcuffs. It was a pretty sickening feeling to see someone I have known my entire life standing there.

This is a guy who is/was my father's best friend (he is actually a cousin, not an uncle, but we always called him uncle), and lay minister in his church, one of the most successful insurance guys in the Portland area with loyal customers staying with him for over 30 years. He routinely held bible study at his home, and was just the nicest man you would ever want to meet.

I called my father and got the whole story. It would seem that over the past three years he has been selling annuities that don't exist, and keeping the cash for unknown purposes, and that these events had totalled in the neighborhood of $300,000. Combine that with the fact that he mortgaged their previously paid for house, and the loses total well over half a million dollars... and no one knows what he did with the money, though being the cynical person I am, I would guess it is either drugs, gambling, or both.

The court scene showed me all I needed to see. There was his daughter, whom I had grown up with, as the only person in the court room. His wife of 40 years was no where to be seen, and how could I blame her. Everything they worked together for their entire lives was lost, and she will be financially ruined.

I am heading over to see him in jail shortly. This will be one of the few times in my life that I feel speechless. I think I have had entirely too much drama in my life these last two years.

That's why I appreciate the environment that John has created here, and that all of you provide through your participation.

The AR journals, cali's stories, Fluff's recaps, Paulie's hilarious precaps, and if you haven't seen JR's Fear Factor recap, go read it now. All great stuff, and where I go when I need to smile. Thanks folks!
    "George Oscar Bluth II, aka GOB, featured magician in the best selling videotape, "Girls With Low Self Esteem" invites you to enter his world.
    -- Arrested Development, Season III

Oh god Bill! I am so sorry for your recent shocker. That just blows my mind. I know your trip to see him in jail will probably be really hard on both of you, so I wish you lots of strength.

We're always here if you need us.
    Im haunted a little this evening by feelings that have no vocabulary and events that should be explained in dimensions of lint rather than words.
    -Richard Brautigan

Princess
    Bill, that's just too terrible! How shocked and disappoited you must be.
    Greed/addictions can really change the nicest person into someone else.

Wow, Bill. That's awful. What a stunner. Hang in there, bud.

I'm so glad all of us give as much to you as your humor and warmth gives us in return.
    When you're ten years old and a car drives by and splashes a puddle of water all over you, it's hard to decide if you should go to school like that or try to go home and change and probably be late. So while he was trying to decide, I drove by and splashed him again. - Jack Handey

Read Paulie's Precaps for Survivor:Vanuatu: 1-2-3-4-5

Jeez o flip Bill! I can't even imagine!
    I don't know what you plan on saying when you visit him, but I hope all goes well.
    Be there emotionally for your cousin and her mom! They will need you.
    Take it easy.... and thanks for letting me know I can bring a smile into your day and know that the feelings are reciprocated 10 fold!
    "Rice is great when you're hungry and want 2,000 of something' -- Mitch Hedberg

Wow, what a shocker, Bill. Hang in there, though, and remember that you can always come here to the FORT when you need a laugh...

Wow. That is just mindblowing.. especially how you found out about it!

Hang in there, buddy.
    If you go through a lot of hammers each month, I don't think it necessarily means you're a hard worker.
    It may just mean that you have a lot to learn about proper hammer maintenance.

Good lord Bill, that really must have knocked the wind out of your sails.
    You're right though, you never know what people are really like.

I know everyone here will always be ready and willing to give you any support we can.
    "That's Numberwang!"

JR.
    Man, that's fucked up. I don't know what I can say that hasn't already been said by the others here, but I will echo their comments. I hope things work out for you.

I appreciate everyone's support.

Don't worry about me, I am obviously saddened, but I also temper that by knowing that this man ripped off a lot of people, so I have little sympathy.

We all make life decisions. I was just talking to my brother, who holds a similar position to me occupationally. I could write checks today to myself for several thousand dollars at a shot, and if I did it right, no one would ever figure it out... but I know that isn't right, and further, I wouldn't want to live that way. He agreed, but there it is, at somepoint we all are faced with that ethical choice.

I think once you make the decision to go bad, it just gets worse with each decision and lie.

It's pretty sad really.
    "George Oscar Bluth II, aka GOB, featured magician in the best selling videotape, "Girls With Low Self Esteem" invites you to enter his world.
    -- Arrested Development, Season III

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast