+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Help... I think I have a Computer Virus

Thanks for all the help, just another question though (i know I am a pain) How is something like this:http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....2&type=product If I got this would I have to buy a new version every year? Once again, thanks in advance

Quote Originally Posted by AIWANNABE
    Thanks for all the help, just another question though (i know I am a pain) How is something like this:http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....2&type=product If I got this would I have to buy a new version every year? Once again, thanks in advance

Your current program should let you know in advance, usually 30 days, when it's going to expire. Since you already have it installed, there is no need to re-buy another program. When it's about to expire, your program should say something like "renew here" and it will take you to the renewal site. At that site, you can choose from a variety of different levels of virus programs. Click and pay online and you're done!
    You got to cry without weeping. Talk without speaking. Scream without raising your voice.- U2

Yes I know that, but with the product above will I have to eventually have to pay a fee to renew it?

on vacation
    I have Norton Anti-Virus and I highly recommend it after we got the Klez virus on our home computer when we had McAfee.

Also for anyone who has computer problems or wonders if they have a virus or a trojan, here's a good, free link for scanning your computer to find out.

http://securityresponse.symantec.com/
    **Scroll down the page to virus definitions and look for the 3rd item in the list,
    which is Online Virus and Security Check.

Click there and pick what you want to run and let it scan your computer. If you have a virus, there are places on symantec to show you how, step by step to get rid of them.

I consider myself about a 2 on the 1-10 scale of computer knowledge and I was able to get rid of a trojan on my friends computer on my own by using this site.

Hope it helps.
    Memo from God

I am God. Today I will be handling all of your problems. Please remember that I do not need your help.

Yes I know that, but with the product above will I have to eventually have to pay a fee to renew it?
    Yes for Norton you pay an annual subscription fee to get the virus definition and other updates that are available for the program... I don't remember how much it is, but I don't think it's that much...
    Ingorance killed the Cat... Curiousity was framed!

Quote Originally Posted by Shazzer
    Oooooo...this thread is great!! Thanks for all the info. people! Lately on my home computer, circus-like music will start to play when I only have one web page open or just the FORT open. It's weird. I'm guessin' I've been "infiltrated". :phhht
    Are you *sure* that music is on your computer? Not, by chance, in your head?
    I second all the advice about getting Ad-aware or a similar program. My computer was running really slowly a few weeks ago and on the advice of a fellow Fortie I downloaded a free program to scan for sneaky spyware. It found a bunch of stuff.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

Virus Protection

Quote Originally Posted by AIWANNABE
    My Norton recently ran out. While I was debating whether to renew or go with McAffe I did some research and found a free one that had great reviews. You'll find it on the grisoft.com...Look in the left column and you'll see AVG free edition. I used it for about a month. I didn't have any problems with it and it seemed to work real well. I eventually decided to go with McAffe this year. I don't like to fool around with virus's after getting a couple of them which wiped me out completely. So I feel more secure using the better known "Big Boys" to do battle with them....But you should have some protection and this is a good one. Not to mention the price is right.

I run the full Norton and also Pop up stopper, which is free and no ads. It works great for popup ads and you can turn it off and on with two clicks on the icon in the task bar.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!" -- Steve Parker

Help feed a dog or cat http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/c...s/CTDSites.woa

I have a ahhh..."free" copy of Norton AV Corporate edition that must not expire because I've updated the virus definitions at least twice a week for 1 1/2 years.

On my old computer when it was near the one year mark where I would have to pay I simply uninstalled it and reinstalled it and never had to pay for updates. I don't know if this still works or if the registry or something would stop it.

I've used Spybot Search & Destroy and one of the other spyware removal tools because something got on here and started opening the ports. They worked well but one of those spyware removal programs actually is spyware of sorts but I don't remember which one. (it says so in the end-user agreement, maybe someone else here knows which one it is)
    Log off. That cookie sh*t makes me nervous. --Tony Soprano

So I said to him, "Look, buddy, your car was upside down when we got here. And as for your Grandma, she shouldn't have mouthed off like that!" --Homer Simpson

Well, I'm currently saying cuss words that have no place in a PG-13 forum. I've got a computer virus. I made the IDIOT mistake of opening an attachment (I *swear* it was from someone I knew) and now there are stupid little zip files prancing all around my computer. Oddly, it hasn't prevented the computer from working, but it has wiped OUT all my documents, includes notes that I needed TODAY.
    No need to advise me to download anti-virus stuff, it's the work computer (thank god) and while my IT people had me download two things to try to fix it, they didn't work. I'm going to have to take it back to my main office, an hour away. GRRR!
    I have no idea what virus it is, but I'm posting this as a warning that there's one out there, lurking, like a ##$%$ predator. So update all these handy anti-virus thingies.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast