+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Help... I think I have a Computer Virus

FORT Fogey
    thanks for the sites haejin... I decided to learn from cali and install some programs on here...

Glad that it seems to be ok for you now

One question... do I need both Spybot and Adaware? Or are they basicly the same? I did install Spybot and it found a bunch of things. Thanks for all the great advice. My tech support (aka my son) moved out and went off to school and left me to fend for myself.
    When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down "Happy." They told me I didn't understand the assignment. I told them they didn't understand life. - John Lennon

I'm glad I started this thread... well, not glad that I had problems, but glad it's helping others too
    "Rice is great when you're hungry and want 2,000 of something' -- Mitch Hedberg

Thanks for the links...........I have Norton Antivirus and the subcription is about the end. The renual is quite expensive, $40.00 each year, I was wondering will these two things do the trick, should I renew Norton? Thanks In advance for any help!

Quote Originally Posted by AIWANNABE
    Thanks for the links...........I have Norton Antivirus and the subcription is about the end. The renual is quite expensive, $40.00 each year, I was wondering will these two things do the trick, should I renew Norton? Thanks In advance for any help!
    You still need your antivirus protection; Spybot and Adaware don't check for viruses or keep your computer safe from hackers, they just look for the adware programs. Also, you might want to consider agood firewall; I know these thigs are kind of expensive, but to me it's worth it to never see popups, never get viruses, etc.as long as you keep your software updated.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by queenb
    You still need your antivirus protection; Spybot and Adaware don't check for viruses, just the adware programs. Also, you might want to consider agood firewall; I know these thigs are kind of expensive, but to me it's worth it to never see popups, never get viruses, etc.as long as you keep your software updated.
    Thanks for the help, can you reccomend any, that maybe you use? Are there any free ones? Thanks again in advance

I'm not real good at this but you can check on komando.com, it's from the Kim Komando radio show, she has some software on the site you can download free. Her site should be safe to download from, lots of good computer tips too! That said,I just went ahead and paid for Norton Antivirus and also the firewall, it seems to me that the free stuff has an awful lot of advertising on it.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

I've got Norton Anti-virus and Ad-Aware, works wonders for the trouble I tend to get myself into. And yes the trojans that change your homepage are especially irksome. :phhht
    " I look like Nigella Lawson with a $#*!ing hangover."

Oh yeah...ZoneAlarm has a pretty good free firewall.
    Gustav Holst was right!

Quote Originally Posted by haejin
    Oh yeah...ZoneAlarm has a pretty good free firewall.

I second that thought!! Zonealarm is fantastic. You can allow which programs to access the internet and such. www.downloads.com will get you started (and it's free). Highly recommend ZA if you have Broadband or DSL, since you are continuously connected. You'd be amazed at how many "nasties" are trying to access your computer.

You don't need both Ad-Aware and Spybot. I use both (in case one doesn't pick anything up) because I occasionally have to work from home.

About Anti-Virus--the general golden rule is to update your program weekly (Norton does it on wednesdays), but with the latest rash of viruses cruising the internet, I recommend doing it twice a week. JMO.

Again, not trying to promote this website, but www.answersthatwork.com is fantastic for finding out what's really on your computer. I only say this because sometimes you can get a dormant trojan or virus. I found a couple that my other software programs never picked up. Just food for thought.

Also, once you're all cleaned up, do a "maintenance wizard" to get everything fine tuned.

run-->programs-->accessories-->system tools-->maintenance wizard *if you haven't done a maintenance check in a while, I suggest you do it while sleeping--it can take a while.

ETA: AIWANNABE--if you renew online, it should be less than $40.00. There are several different variations to choose from. I get the $24.99 subscription which fits all my needs. Also, if you go to Best Buy, you can get a copy for $9.99 (just the disc, no fancy stuff).
    Last edited by speedbump; 02-22-2004 at 04:09 PM.
    You got to cry without weeping. Talk without speaking. Scream without raising your voice.- U2

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast