+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Are you superstitious?

Are you superstitious?

Since today is Friday the 13th, I thought this might be a fun topic for discussion...

Are you superstitious? Would you fly on a day like today, or reschedule your flight for another day? Are you afraid of black cats or broken mirrors? Would you walk under a ladder or throw salt over your shoulder?

What kinds of things have you/your friends/your family done because of superstition?
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
    - Albert Einstein

I don't do a single thing different on Friday the 13th.
    " I look like Nigella Lawson with a $#*!ing hangover."

Same here.

Mind you, I would avoid walking under ladders, if I could help it..just to be on the safe side.
    I rather lurk than post.

I'm not normally superstitious, but I did have an exceptionally bad Friday the 13th in September of 2002.

My family started our vacation on that day and had decided to drive to Florida because my BIL is afraid to fly. We were supposed to leave at 8:30AM and one mini disaster after another prevented us from leaving town until 8PM that evening.

WE were happy to finally be on our way and all went well until we hit Tennesee. Tropical Storms had been wreaking havoc on the coast the week before and by this time had worked their way inland and were causing terrible storms in Tennessee and Georgia (the two main states we had to drive through). I've never driven in rain that bad my entire life. We actually had to pull off the road several times (something I never do). After we had been driving for about seven hours and hadnt even made it out of Tennessee, we stopped at a hotel to rest for about 3 hours. We woke up the next morning to a flat tire on our car After getting it changed, we continued to battle storms the rest of the way.
    If anyone has seen the scene in "National Lampoon's Vacation" where they finally get to the amusement park (before they realize it's closed), that's about how we looked like when we finally crossed into Florida. The sun came out and we had a great time. However, the drive that usually took 16 hours had taken us 32 hours to complete.

So, even though none of us are exceptionally superstitious, we have decided never to begin a vacation on a Friday the 13th again.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

Leo
    Premium Member
    Why in the world you would walk under an avoidable ladder whatever the day is escapes me.

you never heard of the people seen walking under a ladder and never coming out the other side? Two or three documented cases.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!" -- Steve Parker

Help feed a dog or cat http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/c...s/CTDSites.woa

Some friends I had from Mexico told me long ago that the number 13 was considered very lucky where they were from (something about symbolizing the sun etc. etc.).

Anyhow, I've had some really great Friday the 13ths, so I never worry about them. And one of my really cool friends was born on a Friday the 13th, and she's great!
    "If you're like me, you have a 'been there, done that' attitude when it comes to paleolithic paleontology." - Jon Stewart

"I swear, you are the ho-ho ho." - OTS

Dex
    Am I superstitious? I'm Chinese. 'Nuff said

I don't recall having any bad experiences during Fri the 13th, fortunately But my lecturer today had it bad. First, she was trapped in a lift. Then her slides don't work. After that, she realized that she couldn't wipe off the things she wrote on the whiteboard even though she was using a whiteboard marker. We were all laughing
    Bollocks to your pompous hiney! -makerc

I dont believe in the whole friday the 13th stuff.

But i do believe that if you cross the path of a black cat you will have bad luck. But thats only because one day i crossed the path of a black cat and that day a scrapped my knee on a brick wall, i failed a test, i fell out of my chair, i tripped on a crack on the sidewalk.

FORT Fogey
    I graduated from middle school on Friday June 13 last year. The graduation was fun, but the party one of my friends had afterward was not so much fun. My ex-best friend was totally flirting with this guy that she didn't even like and I totally just couldn't stand it. It was like she was changing right in front of my eyes and we were growing apart. (She's my ex-best friend because we really did grow apart. I don't know why but all we ever talk about is like small talk- "So how'd you team do yesterday?" "Good. We won. How about you?" etc. etc.) So I just cried and cried in the bathroom with one of my other friends. Not fun at all. But I wouldn't blame it on Friday the 13th.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast