+ Reply to Thread
Page 95 of 572 FirstFirst ... 45858687888990919293949596979899100101102103104105145195 ... LastLast

Thread: The Oasis - A spot for FORT parents

Quote Originally Posted by Muduh
    My son told me today that one of the guys who works with him is always tying to keep his kid up with our almost 3 year old. The other little boy is a few months younger. The guy was at my sons house the other day and our kid was running around in his boxer briefs (how cute are they?). The guy immediately went and bought a bunch of them. He told my son a day or so later that the little boy messed up 9 pairs at day care that day. We got a good laugh from that. Then I thought of Duxxy. How would she handle that?
    HA! if kiddo didn't come with plastic pants to catch whatever was leaking out of those oh-so-precious boxer briefs kiddo would have gone back to diapers tout-de-suite! If he's making 9 messes a day he is clearly not ready for toileting and pressuring them is bad! bad! bad! parenting. JMO of course.
    Dad should have used those new undies as 'encouragment' (aka :bribe) for kiddo to use the toilet.
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

Quote Originally Posted by Veejay
    My sister has three girls also, ages 7, 5, and 3. I was with her in the delivery room with her last and right after she had her she said, "I guess I can't make boys."
    You tell your poor sister that she has nothing to do with the sex of the baby - the men have that sole duty!

Quote Originally Posted by dagwood
    Don't you love the little "stories" they tell then don't understand why you don't believe them.
    They are all liars! LOl it's amazing the things that they will come up with

Quote Originally Posted by applesauce
    Hey all you parents out there. I am curious....does anyone out there have 3 children? My husband and I are discussing having another baby
    applesauce it's my personal theory that the person who has more kids than hands to hold them apart is nutz so says the chick that takes 5 under the age of 5 for a walk every day

Eva - I'm really sorry to hear that your mother was such a dink about your son's bday party It sounds like we are sharing a mother :rolleyes
    The one thing I always try to keep in mind is: I'm not like her and I continue to learn from her mistakes. I don't place any expectations on her and I NEVER tell my daughter what an awful, selfish person she is. My mother has a little problem keeping promises - she seems to think it's perfectly ok to make a promise and then break it .. because you know.. 4 yr olds "won't remember anyway" HA! I'm here to tell you that 4 yr olds have amazing memories - when they want to
    I learned a long time ago that I will never change my mother - what I can do is anticipate her 'lapses' and I don't even have to cover for her because I don't tell my daughter anything until it's confirmed (ie: mom: I'll be at your house thursday at 9am - I don't tell my daughter until she calls from the highway to tell us she's on her way)

I decided to learn from my mother's inadequacies instead of being bitter.. it leaves me free to make my own parenting mistakes/mis-steps without repeating her's.

Quote Originally Posted by Duxxy
    HA! if kiddo didn't come with plastic pants to catch whatever was leaking out of those oh-so-precious boxer briefs kiddo would have gone back to diapers tout-de-suite! If he's making 9 messes a day he is clearly not ready for toileting and pressuring them is bad! bad! bad! parenting. JMO of course.
    Dad should have used those new undies as 'encouragment' (aka :bribe) for kiddo to use the toilet.
    I am in charge of a toddler class at church. A lady brought her little girl who was supposedly training. She had panties. I asked if she would tell us when she had to go the mom said no. So we took her every few minutes. Well, twice after she went in the bathroom she would come out and immediately pee her pants. I found a pull up in her diaper bag and put it on her. You want to shake these people...if a baby doesn't know when they have to go, they aren't ready to train.
    He who laughs last thinks slowest

#oldmanbeatdown - Donny BB16

FORT Fogey
    I don't know if I'm allowed in here, as I'm not a parent, but I do work at a daycare...

The whole potty-training issue is something that I've been working on with one of my kids. I work with an After School Centre, but one of the children has just turned 8 and is autistic. I have worked with him quite a bit in my 3 years at the daycare, and I love working with him, and in the past few months he has made a LOT of progress. They had him in pull-ups for the longest time, but he just wasn't being trained, so the parents put him in underwear underneath his pull-up and he started to make progress, but eventually progress slowed (keep in mind that he had two other care-givers... one at school and one at daycare).

IMO, the best thing his mother did for him was put him in underwear and send him with lots of extra pairs. He felt it down his leg when he peed, and he knew it wasn't good. Also, teachers made sure to sit him on the toilet much more frequently as it is harder to change poopy underwear than a pull-up. He's been on vacation all this week, and I was on vacation the week before, but the last week that we were both at daycare, he was dry all week (for the first time!) So he has really been coming a long way.

Of course, these were exceptional circumstances, and obviously most children are able to learn with just the pull-up method.

Of course you're welcome in here DF! You absolutely qualify. My hat's off to any type of daycare worker or teacher of any sort. You all must be extremely patient people. Kudos to you.

Congratulations on the potty training! That's always a wonderful milestone to reach.
    A man can convince anyone he's somebody else, but never himself. - Verbal Kint from the movie The Usual Suspects

Quote Originally Posted by dfleming2
    obviously most children are able to learn with just the pull-up method.
    I respectfully disagree with that DF. Pullups are wonderful for 'just in case' but just like your autistic kiddo, kids need to be able to feel when they are wet. Pullups keep the kids dry so honestly Pullups are just uber-expensive diapers.
    Pullups are fabulous!!! for overnight while toilet training and long car rides and such but I toilet trained with pullups once and I will never do it again. 7 months!! it took my little friend to recognize when she had to go to the bathroom. ( I would have quit alot sooner but mom wouldn't bring me panties :rolleyes )

Keep up the good work DF - I have never worked with an autistic child and I have actually turned down the opportunity - in the interest of the amount of my time he would have taken away from my other children (they only offered me a PA 2 days a week)
    I did attend a workshop given by an autism advocate (she had an 8 yr old autistic son) I was amazed at the progress she made - toilet trained by 5 yrs old! She told us how she did it.. backwards. We teach bathroom-pants down-sit-wipe-flush-wash up. She taught him wash up-flush-wipe-sit-pants down-bathroom.(this is a VERY simplified description) It took her 6 months but her son was toilet trained and able to go to social programs.
    It takes a very special person to work with the autistic. Kudos DF

Quote Originally Posted by Duxxy
    Pullups keep the kids dry so honestly Pullups are just uber-expensive diapers.
    No kidding. I made the mistake of training my oldest in them and yeah, it ended up taking around 7 months. I noticed Pampers has a new kind of pullup (they call them Easy-Ups) that "lets baby knows when he/she's wet". So put 'em in training pants, for gawd's sake! Just grit your teeth and know you're going to have extra laundry for awhile and be done with it.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

FORT Fogey
    I would love to be able to understand that way of training an autistic child... we're still working on the wiping (and I have to take the toilet paper away when he's pooping, cause he will take off little bits of toilet paper, and put it right into the toilet until the whole roll is gone...)

I had a struggle last month with whether to keep on working at the daycare I'm at right now, as I had been having numerous problems with the way in which the daycare was run... now I am with the After School Centre all day, and therefore I am slightly distant from all the drama, and I am loving it! I get to play with the kids, do what I want to do with them take them out to a decent playground (as opposed to the one we have on site) I've just loved every minute of it (well maybe not EVERY minute, but almost every minute ) I even went on vacation last week to Montreal, and left on Thursday, but I had the whole week off... I ended up going in on Monday and Wednesday cause I missed the kids so much... I couldn't believe the difference a few weeks had made!

I was in the Rehab field for about 12 years I know exactly where you are coming from dflem in terms of the political garbage that goes on. As in most caregiving occupations there is a high burn out rate, what many dont realize is that it isnt the actual job that causes it, its the higher up crap you have to deal with.

The other thing you mentioned was about teaching an autistic child. Autism is often misdiagnosed and has so many 'levels'. My first thing would be not to rule out any other diagnosis..... my cousin was misdiagnosed several times before "the experts" finally got it right.

Autistic children are exactly like Non-Autistic children........ what works for one very well may not work for another. All I can say is keep consistant, help the child set goals for themselves and trial and error.

Now........ the other topic here.......Good Ol Potty Training

I have a just turned 2 yr old who I have in Easy Ups...... I quit diapers when I had to literally start duct taping them at night and nap time. Pull Ups were a pain cuz the "new & improved" ones have velcro on the sides..... all that did was make for easy access out of them. Duct tape on them defeated the purpose I figure.......lol. Anyhow, she knows where the potty is, she sees her sisters and I go to the potty (I even praise myself when she is there..... "good girl mommy you went potty") I know it sounds like I am whacked My frustration is simply she has NO interest in it at all..... I know I cant push her, but she seems so ready in the other areas (speech, undressing etc.) Any ideas ???

I dont think panties would work because she would just take them off and run naked though my house.... which wouldnt bother me except i dont have any desire to come into the kitchen and slip in a puddle of pee....
    Last edited by imajunkie2; 07-18-2004 at 03:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by veejer
    I have a good friend who had three kids who says that #2 is a HUGE adjustment, but #3 is just a ripple on the water. I've heard similar sentiments from other moms with more than two kids.

About the timing, being 8-9 months pregnant in the summer is no fun. And schools encourage summer babies to be held back.
    My oldest sister has 3. She said the same thing, going from 1 to 2 is a huge thing, but adding number 3 was just a number thing. Now she did note, they had to get a mini van to fit the kids. Her oldest was 6 when his sister was born and she said that made a huge difference in that he was in a very helpful stage where he could actually do helpful things. I couldn't imagine doing it like my mother did, had her first 3 when the oldest was just turning 3. Yikes.

as for timing. Being very pregnant in summer is awful, but I also had a problem with morning sickness in the summer. (I had a Feb baby and a early Oct baby)
    I could go east, I could go west, it was all up to me to decide. Just then I saw a young hawk flyin' and my soul began to rise. ~Bob Seger

+ Reply to Thread