+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 572 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181959109509 ... LastLast

Thread: The Oasis - A spot for FORT parents

FORT Newbie
    I can't tell you because you won't believe me!
    Quote Originally Posted by averagejane
    cantgetenough, the next time you're in the kids' clothing section and are gazing longingly at the little dresses, remember how much money you'll save not buying patent shoes, hair ornaments, stockings with frills on the butt, Barbie clothes...and later -makeup, tampons, prom dresses...and later - weddings....aarrrgh! I'm scaring myself!

I love my girls, but boys are cool. Everyone I know has girls, too. Tell me your boys' birthdays so I can go buy some remote-controlled cars and Spiderman pajamas

OH MY WORD, do I gaze at the little girl clothes!! Mine are 9/1/94 and 3/30/96...if you can find action hero pj's in size 12 and 14, I would send the money! My oldest is almost as tall as I am, at 9 years old!!!

Quote Originally Posted by cantgetenough
    And I'd share the cabana boy if someone would cook dinner everynight...the most HATED part of my day.
    I don't mind the cooking so much as the cleaning up afterward. UGH!
    A man can convince anyone he's somebody else, but never himself. - Verbal Kint from the movie The Usual Suspects

FORT Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by VeeJay
    I don't mind the cooking so much as the cleaning up afterward. UGH!

Its the whole deal...trips to the store, lugging groceries in and out, deciding everynight what to cook, cleaning up after....and thats what I do every day.

In my next life, I want a wife!!!!!

And speaking of cooking... Anybody got any hints to get a picky 5-year-old to try new foods. I can count on one hand how many different suppers he'll eat. He feigns retching every time something different gets near his mouth. My husband was eating a PB & J sandwich the other day and my son while holding his nose yelled at him, "What're you tryin' to do? Kill us with that stinkin' food."

Peanut butter and jelly for cryin' out loud. I thought kids were supposed to love that stuff. I swear... the things kids say.
    A man can convince anyone he's somebody else, but never himself. - Verbal Kint from the movie The Usual Suspects

OH! Grocery shopping is the worst!

FORT Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by VeeJay
    And speaking of cooking... Anybody got any hints to get a picky 5-year-old to try new foods. I can count on one hand how many different suppers he'll eat. He feigns retching every time something different gets near his mouth. My husband was eating a PB & J sandwich the other day and my son while holding his nose yelled at him, "What're you tryin' to do? Kill us with that stinkin' food."

Peanut butter and jelly for cryin' out loud. I thought kids were supposed to love that stuff. I swear... the things kids say.

A kiddliewink that doesn't like PB & J???? Wow!!

I had to handle it this way. Having my boys help decide what to eat helps out tremendously. So does giving them a few foods that they just don't have to eat, period. Mine won't touch spaghetti/red sauce, onions or mushrooms, so I respect that.

I make it so that they decide what portions to eat, but every night they have to eat a hot vegetable and salad, they choose the dressing. I've eaten more corn and green beans than I think is necessary, but these are their favorite and they eat them.

We also have a one bite rule. If there is something new, they have to eat one bite, period. If they don't like it, they don't have to have anymore, but they have to at least try it.

I also have a few really good cookbooks, geared toward kids. Lets see...the magazine Family Fun put out a cookbook, and since there are pictures of what the dinner looks like, they are more apt to try it.

I also have my guys help cook! They love that, and it makes getting them to eat what they helped prepare much easier.

Thanks for all your suggestions! I think I'm gonna try letting him *help* me pick out what he wants at the grocery store.

I think my hubby doomed him to his pickyness when I was preggers. Being somewhat choosy myself, we were at a pizza restaurant when I was about 6 month along and I was picking some of the toppings off mine (Mr. VJ hates it when I do this). To which he declares (and these were his exact words), "No kid of mine is gonna be as picky as you. That kid's gonna love everything just like me."
    So I totally blame him for jinxing my child.

You're right, VJ, he sealed your fate right there.

What great discussions in this thread!

I have to echo what cangetenough said about letting them choose, etc. One thing that has really helped me get my daughter to eat vegetables (she's 3) is to get her involved in prepping them. She can shell peas and snap beans without needing a knife, and just about any vegetable can be scrubbed. Ripping lettuce is another one. I just pull a chair right up to the kitchen sink.

I take her to the Farmer's Market when it's in season, or a local vegetable stand we have here the rest of the year, and we pick out fruit & veg together. This has gone a long way to expanding her repertoire. I originally started this to get her interested in eating them, but I was amazed to find we really save money that way too, and everything tastes so much better.

She's still super picky about chicken and meat, though. If it weren't for cheese & peanut butter I don't know what we'd do...
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

on vacation
    This is just an awesome idea RCM. While I didn't have to worry about any Valentines being done or baking cupcakes, I did worry about Valentine Beer for my only child who is a 21 yr old college senior who lives at home.

I would like to sign up for the cabana boy too since I don't have tooo much of the mom mom mom thing going, I do have the very stressful work work work thing.

As far as picky eaters go ... letting them choose or set the menu is a great idea.
    Don't give up hope and always try new foods again. Kid's taste buds change more quickly than adult's. Texture is a huge stumbling block for kids. Mine gags on anything mushy - mashed potatoes and the like. We keep trying again and one of these days she will start eating everything. One way to get her to eat is to casually mention - oh 'thats daddy's favourite'. It usually works. The rule in my house is: even if you don't think you'll like it you have to try it.. and you need to take 2 bites. One they mash up and swallow without tasting and they swear up and down that they hate it, and the other one so they actually taste what ever it is they are trying to shove down. It might sound overboard but it's worked more than once - the child has actually liked what he was eating.
    I've never really had a child that didn't like veggies, meat is the problem around here. It all comes down to texture.
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

+ Reply to Thread