+ Reply to Thread
Page 60 of 572 FirstFirst ... 10505152535455565758596061626364656667686970110160560 ... LastLast

Thread: The Oasis - A spot for FORT parents

MIA, RIP, or Busy...
    Nice, Dagwood. My condolences. I went through that a few weeks ago. Isn't it great that they wanted to share their love with you right before? What parents go through for their kids.
    A Bachelor fan til it dies a slow death and oddly enough, A Rock of Love fan...finest hair extensions from Europe and all. ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Duxxy
    ahhhhhh husbands .. life would be like having one less kid without them
    As a husband/father, I'll own up to this one:

A while back I guess I sang a stupid little song to my daughter while changing her #2 diaper. I wasn't really thinking about it at the time, as I was just trying to keep her from squirming away. Apparently evey word to the song was 'doody' and it was probably tothe tune of one of her kiddie songs (wheels on the bus?). Anyway, my daughter apparently liked it because one day my wife tells me that while on line at the supermarket register my daughter was sitting in the cart and started singing the "Doody song"
    Some people are like slinkies, they're useless until you push them down the stairs.

OMG FH I am laughing SO frikkin hard! Toilet humour doesn't usually appeal to me, I hate it when comedians sink to the toilet humour level ... but for some reason when a kiddo starts singing about doody I bust a gut laughing! You are so baaaaaaaaad!

My most recent parenting faux pas...

Kiddo was getting ready to play outside yesterday and it's still pretty swampy around here so she was putting her pink rubber boots on, she looks inside her boot and sees there is an old maple seed (helicopter) in there from yesterday.
    She looks up and says 'ewwwwwwww theres crap in my boot!'
    that starts a chain reaction..
    boy #1 my dog Tag craps outside and daddy has to pick it up in a bag, mommy won't walk Tag because she doesn't want to pick up his crap.
    boy #2 crap is not a nice word, not nice, not nice at all Duxxy, she shouldnt say that word. (repeat 4 or 5 times)
    boys #3 &4 laughing hysterically (they don't talk yet)

Me?? trying my damnedest NOT to laugh.. the faux pas? she picked up the word 'crap' from me.
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

Lecture Mini-Review

Last night I had the pleasure of attending a lecture given by Adele Faber, author of several books including How to talk so your kids will listen – and listen so kids will talk, Siblings without Rivalry, How to talk so your kids will learn.
    You may have seen her around, apparently she’s done every talk show in the western hemisphere. She’s a small, grandmotherly looking woman with a Long Island accent and the ability to turn mundane everyday tasks into learning opportunities.
    Some of the highlights:

Parental Guilt is misplaced and a huge waste of time and energy. We all have those days (months/years) when we feel like the worst parent in the world. You have to forget about it and move on. You can’t turn back time and undo things that have been done … it’s never too late to try something new and hopefully more effective.

Do not negate your child’s feelings. If he tells you it hurts, it hurts... if he’s angry, he’s angry. Their feelings (positive or negative) are real and legitimate acknowledge them with respect. (imagine falling and someone telling you ‘oh it doesn’t hurt’ )

Anger without Insult - Do not negate your own negative feelings. You are allowed to get angry. If junior coloured on the wall its fine to tell him “I’m angry, walls are not for colouring, paper is for colouring” If it’s ok for mom and dad to express their feelings, junior will be ok with expressing his feelings too. Never attack his character or personality. Ie: You are impossible, irresponsible, what’s wrong with you? Don’t you have a brain?
    Do give them words to express their feelings:
    I see you are feeling (angry, vexed, frustrated, irked) why not take the opportunity to expand their vocabulary good reason to break out your Roget’s

All in all I thought it was a wonderful presentation full of amusing anecdotes and sage advice. She deals in generalizations and not in specifics so she couldn't answer child-specific questions. I would see her again in a heartbeat … and I’d even be willing to pay for the ticket this time. I strongly recommend her books and lectures.
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

Thanks for the recap Dux. I'll have to see if wifey has any of her books in her collection.
    Some people are like slinkies, they're useless until you push them down the stairs.

Thanks Duxxy the report. I really appreciate that you asked me if I had questions beforehand, even if you didn't get to ask them.

I've been trying to use her methods for some time now. It's funny how I can feel the impulse to try to "it's okay" away every bad situation, but that's my signal to myself that I'm not paying attention enough to my daughter's feelings.

And I've already seen it work on my 3 year old. You know how every kid hates to leave a park and sometimes they pull a big screaming fit? After reading her book, I could feel a lecture popping up (I told you we had to leave in 5 minutes, we have to go make dinner for Daddy, blah di blah) but instead I leaned down and told her (as she was screaming and we were walking out of the park hand in hand) "It's really hard to leave the park when you're having fun." She slowed down her crying, so I added, "It's really hard to leave but here you are holding my hand like I asked. That's really hard to do when you're feeling so mad." She said yeah, and next thing I know we're skipping away, tantrum over.

Now when we leave the park I hear her telling her friends in a proud voice, "It's hard to leave the park. Bye!"

I highly recommend her books!
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

Quote Originally Posted by ineedalife
    Nice, Dagwood. My condolences. I went through that a few weeks ago. Isn't it great that they wanted to share their love with you right before? What parents go through for their kids.
    It sure is.

I ended up taking her to the sitters today. She seemed better, just a little tired so we kept her home from school. She laid around all day watching tv...then it happened again. At least this time she wasn't home and some one else had to clean it up. Is that mean?
    He who laughs last thinks slowest

#oldmanbeatdown - Donny BB16

Sorry the little one's sick, Dagwood.

I've been hearing folks around here talking about a stomach bug (one playgroup canceled). Aren't you across the country from me? (I'm in SF Bay area, CA.)
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

Are these spots becoming? chompstick's Avatar
    Thanks Duxxy. I have read "How to talk so your kids will listen and listen so kids will talk" and it is fantastic. I re-read it every few months to stay fresh on the ideas. How lucky you got to hear her speak.
    I support the right to arm bears.

Are these spots becoming? chompstick's Avatar
    How's the little one, Dagwood? I hope you have a better weekend.
    I support the right to arm bears.

+ Reply to Thread