+ Reply to Thread
Page 571 of 572 FirstFirst ... 71471521561562563564565566567568569570571572 LastLast
Results 5,701 to 5,710 of 5720

Thread: The Oasis - A spot for FORT parents

  1. #5701
    Me and my shadow Gutmutter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Always together.
    Posts
    12,826

    Re: The Oasis - A spot for FORT parents

    Wouldn't we all.
    Count your blessings!

  2. #5702
    Pineapple! ClosetRTWatcher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Groovin' with my human boom box
    Posts
    4,504

    Re: The Oasis - A spot for FORT parents

    Quote Originally Posted by DesertRose;3138403;
    Actually, Mirena does release Progestin, but in very small quantity. There are some side effects, but there are very mild. It is also quite expensive ($300-$400), so make sure it's covered by your insurance. I've had mine inserted in January and it's good for 5 years. In all honesty, in my case, it's temporary. I'm giving myself these 5 years to decide whether I want a 3rd child. Once my decision is made, my husband will probably get a vasectomy.
    Out of curiosity I was searching to see if anyone on here was using the Mirena IUD. I got mine inserted in January and for me it was rather painful having it put in. The cramping lasted about a day and I thought I was good to go after that. However, a few months later now I am having awful side effects. I consulted with my nurse practitioner and had some blood work to rule out other causes for my symptoms. Everything came back normal so I am going to have the IUD removed this afternoon to see if I can get back to normal.

    My side effects at this point are:
    - Weight gain and significant water retention in spite of several weeks of regular exercise, watching my sodium intake, and drinking tons of water.
    - Overly emotional - I find myself getting teary over the dumbest things, which is very unlike me.
    - Fatigue - I expected this to also improve with exercise, but it hasn't.
    - Anxiety - It took me a while to put a word to this because it isn't like anything I've experienced before. I feel like a few times a day I am so wound up that I actually have to stop and take a few deep breaths because I feel so tense and stressed. However, there is absolutely nothing unusual going on in my life to get me in this state.

    I know the doctor is likely to say that the hormone levels are low and removal may not make a difference, but I am tired of not feeling like myself and this is the only thing I can identify as "different" in my life. Hopefully it will make the difference!!!!!

  3. #5703
    MRD
    MRD is offline
    FORT Fogey MRD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    somewhere resting
    Age
    52
    Posts
    16,893

    Re: The Oasis - A spot for FORT parents

    Quote Originally Posted by ClosetRTWatcher;3910111;
    Out of curiosity I was searching to see if anyone on here was using the Mirena IUD. I got mine inserted in January and for me it was rather painful having it put in. The cramping lasted about a day and I thought I was good to go after that. However, a few months later now I am having awful side effects. I consulted with my nurse practitioner and had some blood work to rule out other causes for my symptoms. Everything came back normal so I am going to have the IUD removed this afternoon to see if I can get back to normal.

    My side effects at this point are:
    - Weight gain and significant water retention in spite of several weeks of regular exercise, watching my sodium intake, and drinking tons of water.
    - Overly emotional - I find myself getting teary over the dumbest things, which is very unlike me.
    - Fatigue - I expected this to also improve with exercise, but it hasn't.
    - Anxiety - It took me a while to put a word to this because it isn't like anything I've experienced before. I feel like a few times a day I am so wound up that I actually have to stop and take a few deep breaths because I feel so tense and stressed. However, there is absolutely nothing unusual going on in my life to get me in this state.

    I know the doctor is likely to say that the hormone levels are low and removal may not make a difference, but I am tired of not feeling like myself and this is the only thing I can identify as "different" in my life. Hopefully it will make the difference!!!!!
    As you probably know, the Mirena releases hormones. There are IUD's out there that do not. If this is the only thing that changed, it very well could be the Mirena. And it should not have been that painful to have inserted.
    It's not painfree, but the person putting it in, should be able to have it inserted in about 30 seconds and you should feel a little cramping, not pain.

    If you are looking for long term birth control, have you considered the depo provera shot? You get it every 3 months. I've been on it 7 years and have had no problems whatsoever. And a side bonus is that I haven't had a period in 7 years either.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

  4. #5704
    Pineapple! ClosetRTWatcher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Groovin' with my human boom box
    Posts
    4,504

    Re: The Oasis - A spot for FORT parents

    Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3910161;
    As you probably know, the Mirena releases hormones. There are IUD's out there that do not. If this is the only thing that changed, it very well could be the Mirena. And it should not have been that painful to have inserted.
    It's not painfree, but the person putting it in, should be able to have it inserted in about 30 seconds and you should feel a little cramping, not pain.

    If you are looking for long term birth control, have you considered the depo provera shot? You get it every 3 months. I've been on it 7 years and have had no problems whatsoever. And a side bonus is that I haven't had a period in 7 years either.
    The insertion was quick, but it was definitely a SEVERE cramp when they put it in. I have a fairly sensitive cervix, so it wasn't completely surprising, but I still did not expect the intensity of the discomfort. Fortunately they have no concerns about perforation or anything like that!!

    I tried depo in the past and had the same type of problems I'm having now with water retention. The doctor & nurse practitioner I talked to before going on Mirena thought this might be a better option than depo because of lower hormone levels in the IUD. For now, I'm just back on the good 'ole pill. It's a pain in the behind to take every day, but it works and I've never had side effects from it!!

    It's only been a few days and I'm not seeing any difference with the water retention yet, but I am feeling a bit more like myself. Still some attacks of what I'm considering anxiety, but less fogginess. Hopefully my body will achieve some sort of equilibrium over the next couple of weeks.

  5. #5705
    FORT Fogey veejer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    3,402

    Re: The Oasis - A spot for FORT parents

    Quote Originally Posted by ClosetRTWatcher;3911546;
    It's only been a few days and I'm not seeing any difference with the water retention yet, but I am feeling a bit more like myself. Still some attacks of what I'm considering anxiety, but less fogginess. Hopefully my body will achieve some sort of equilibrium over the next couple of weeks.
    Quote Originally Posted by ClosetRTWatcher;3910111;
    However, a few months later now I am having awful side effects. I consulted with my nurse practitioner and had some blood work to rule out other causes for my symptoms.
    Glad to hear that you are a bit more like yourself.

    Not to be nosy, but did the blood work involve checking your thyroid function? Both TSH and T3? I have an underactive thyroid and quite a few of your symptoms line up with mine when my thyroid is out of whack.

    Even if the results line up with the "normal" range column from the lab, there are differences of opinion in the endocrinology world as to what "normal" is.
    "Fish are friends, not food, but everything else is fair game." ~ Pating, Survivor Cagayan Pool

  6. #5706
    MRD
    MRD is offline
    FORT Fogey MRD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    somewhere resting
    Age
    52
    Posts
    16,893

    Re: The Oasis - A spot for FORT parents

    Quote Originally Posted by veejer;3911693;
    Glad to hear that you are a bit more like yourself.

    Not to be nosy, but did the blood work involve checking your thyroid function? Both TSH and T3? I have an underactive thyroid and quite a few of your symptoms line up with mine when my thyroid is out of whack.

    Even if the results line up with the "normal" range column from the lab, there are differences of opinion in the endocrinology world as to what "normal" is.
    Also in the case of Hashimoto's, the thryroid hormones in the blood test appear "normal" but the body is unable to use them properly. It's a good idea to ask for an "antibodies test" when the doc suspects thyroid problems. The antibodies test will determine so much more about the thyroid in addition to the TSH, T3 and T4 tests.


    Closet, there is a "ring" now that you can insert and leave for 3 weeks. It's the same hormone as the pill and you don't have to take it everyday. They also have a patch now that you can use, but it has to be changed weekly.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

  7. #5707
    Pineapple! ClosetRTWatcher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Groovin' with my human boom box
    Posts
    4,504
    Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3912670;
    Also in the case of Hashimoto's, the thryroid hormones in the blood test appear "normal" but the body is unable to use them properly. It's a good idea to ask for an "antibodies test" when the doc suspects thyroid problems. The antibodies test will determine so much more about the thyroid in addition to the TSH, T3 and T4 tests.

    Closet, there is a "ring" now that you can insert and leave for 3 weeks. It's the same hormone as the pill and you don't have to take it everyday. They also have a patch now that you can use, but it has to be changed weekly.
    They did run thyroid tests, but I honestly have no idea which test(s) were run.

    I think I have tried nearly all of the birth control options at this point!
    I have tried both the ring and the patch. They both worked fine, but I went back to the pill just because it was the least annoying. I may just be weird, but the ring kinda grossed me out. The patch likes to "travel" a bit across the skin over time and leaves adhesive around the edges that gets dirty looking from fabric and whatnot dragging across it.

    My good news is that I am definitely seeing an improvement now with the bloating/water retention issue! I was thinking yesterday that my upper arms were feeling better, but my legs were still terribly uncomfortable. However, this morning I woke up and my calves no longer feel like they are going to explode!!! It not completely back to normal, but I feel significantly better! In the interest of full disclosure since I had the IUD removed I also cut back on sugar and upped my fiber intake so those may have helped also with the water retention - who knows, maybe it is a combination of factors. I still don't regret having the IUD removed -- the increased stability in my mood was immediate and completely worth going back on the pill!!

  8. #5708
    MRD
    MRD is offline
    FORT Fogey MRD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    somewhere resting
    Age
    52
    Posts
    16,893

    Re: The Oasis - A spot for FORT parents

    The antibodies test is not a blood test, it's a saliva test. Next time they test you for thyroid, request the antibodies test. Your thryroid levels can appear normal and yet your body is not utilizing them like it should. That will show up in the antibodies test.

    I'm glad your other issues are working out well.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

  9. #5709
    A Meat Loaf Aday... ClosetNerd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Northern NY
    Posts
    2,946

    Re: The Oasis - A spot for FORT parents

    Hey everyone!
    I posted this in the good news section a few days ago, but I thought it was really more of a Parents thread item.

    My youngest is currently in 20th place of a semi finals round for a photo contest online.
    If he makes it to #1 by Sunday at midnight he gets put into the finals! ( there will be 11 finalists)
    From 11 , 1 will be chosen to fly to NYC for a weekend and be in Parents Magazine.

    My family is all a buzz with excitement!

    Perhaps if everyone has a moment you can send us a vote.
    Just go here: Parents Photo Faves
    Click the purple vote button below his photo and type in whatever the image asks you.

    There's been a lot of cheating going on in this thing, but we're still gonna give it the ol College Try

    Thanks!
    ~There is no way to Happiness. Happiness is the way.~

  10. #5710
    Over and Out! Bunny555's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    3,368

    Re: The Oasis - A spot for FORT parents

    I voted again Did you do what they suggest and post the link to your Facebook?
    CYA

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.