+ Reply to Thread
Page 570 of 574 FirstFirst ... 70470520560561562563564565566567568569570571572573574 LastLast
Results 5,691 to 5,700 of 5740
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: The Oasis - A spot for FORT parents

Re: The Oasis - A spot for FORT parents

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3755686;
    Better to grow up without a father than to have one that puts his own needs before theirs. Lots of kids in single parent homes without fathers turn out just fine. In fact, they can even grow up to be president.
    MRD, you beat me to it -- I was about to say the same thing.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Hi Fellow FORT parents. Just need to vent for a moment here. My daughter is 7 & in 2nd grade. She goes to a center that is at the school for before & after care. Come to find out on Tues that she got lice! I was completely horrified! I know it's very common & all, but I feel like I let her down, because I think she's had it for a month. I would check her, but I didn't know what I was looking for. If I had known that other kids had it, I would have had the school nurse check her. We Nixed her on Tues, but she was still having them. I got the prescription meds yesterday & she is "clean" now. I've washed all her sheets, clothes & stuffed animals in hot water multiple times. This whole ordeal has made me cry almost every day since. I am going to treat myself this weekend too, because I don't want to have them. Ugh. Thanks for listening.
    Phil: Claire likes to say "You can be part of the problem, or part of the solution." But I happen to believe you can be both. Modern Family

Been there, done that and I agree...it sucks the big one.
    He who laughs last thinks slowest

#oldmanbeatdown - Donny BB16

My kids have had lice twice - well, my youngest once and my oldest twice, the older one has a ton of hair that the little buggers looooove. Make sure you get all those damn nits out, not just use the medicated shampoo. Getting rid of them is very stressful, and I feel for you.

Oh, and an ounce of prevention - I make sure my kids use tea tree oil shampoo (the health food store carries a very good one, can't recall the brand name but there's a koala bear on the bottle) or put a few drops of pure tea tree oil in regular shampoo. Lice hate tea tree oil.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Trader Joe's makes a lovely tea tree shampoo and conditioner. I've also heard that a thick coat of mayonnaise left on for a while suffocates them - it also happens to be a great hair conditioner. Anyone heard that before? Don't beat yourself up so much! It doesn't make you a bad mom and it happens to most of us at some point. It happened to me the one time I put one of my kids in a day care so I could work.
    Count your blessings!

When my room-mate's daughter got lice 4 times, I ended up shaving my son's head just to be sure he wouldn't get them before we had a chance to clean the whole place. I took every stuffed animal and every couch piece and tied them in trash bags for a month. We shampoo'd the carpets, and eventually they went away. I think the daughter got them one more time (thankfully they were caught in egg form because her mom checked her head every night for months!) Her mom took her to the doctor to get some really strong treatment to kill them off. She also contacted the school and every one of the friend's parents to make sure they all took the same measures. We itched for months and we never even got them...... it was sort of comical after it was all said and done.
    Yup, with donuts!!

MRD

It's a pain to deal with, but it's so very common. YOu didn't let your daughter down at all. It happens. Just like they catch colds at school.
    Don't be too hard on yourself.
    The tea tree oil stuff is good advice for prevention.
    Best of luck. I know the cleaning and treatments and nit picking are not fun
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Thanks everyone!! you all have made me feel better. I'm going to get some tea tree oil ASAP.
    Phil: Claire likes to say "You can be part of the problem, or part of the solution." But I happen to believe you can be both. Modern Family

I just searched to see if I was remembering the mayonnaise remedy correctly and there were dozens of entries for using mayonnaise as a chemical free lice remover. Others suggested peanut butter, castor oil, and vaseline (!!!) - good luck washing that last one out. I used vaseline in my hair for a Halloween costume once and it took a month to get it out. Also read several people saying to dip the nit comb in vinegar (or rinse or spray hair with vinegar) to loosen the nit "glue" and make it easier to comb them out. And mayonnaise is a great hair conditioner. If you go that method you have to really saturate the hair around the scalp with the mayonnaise and then wear a shower cap overnight before washing out. It smothers the lice.
    Count your blessings!

I'd rather have a MILLER HIGH LIFE

+ Reply to Thread