+ Reply to Thread
Page 567 of 572 FirstFirst ... 67467517557558559560561562563564565566567568569570571572 LastLast
Results 5,661 to 5,670 of 5720

Thread: The Oasis - A spot for FORT parents

Re: The Oasis - A spot for FORT parents

Any grandparents in the picture who might enjoy the time with them?
    Count your blessings!

My side is in Cali where I live. His side is in Indiana and I wouldn't send them there either.

I'm pretty sure that most airlines won't take unattended children who are that young. What does your custody/visitation agreement say?
    History will have to record that the greatest tragedy of this period of social transition was not the strident clamor of the bad people, but the appalling silence of the good people. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Well I hope not. We haven't got to that point yet, we're still in the begining phase of everything (just recently filed).

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by sweet_lady;3747186;
    Well I hope not. We haven't got to that point yet, we're still in the begining phase of everything (just recently filed).
    I have no experience in this regard, but if you can't fly with them, then put in your papers that he has to come and get them and bring them back. Just an idea.......

I'm with Columbia, MD on this one. Years ago, I always drove my kids to their father's, over 3 hours one way. I finally got smart. If he wanted to see them enough, he could drive...I ended up driving every other visit.

You can find an example of unaccompanied minor rules here:
    Northwest Airlines nwa.com - Products & Services - Onboard Services - Unaccompanied Minors

According to this example kids have to be at least 5 yo, although that still seems really young to me. I can't even imagine considering it until at least 12, and then only if there was some kind of guarantee that a guardian was required to be present at each end of a direct flight!! It seems like until they are older a parent will have to travel with them. You could take turns, but if he is moving far away on his own volition then it seems reasonable that it would be his responsibility to do the traveling...

Quote Originally Posted by sweet_lady;3747172;
    This is question is for parents who are divorced and don't live in the same state. Do you let your kids fly on an airplane alone to see the other parent? My husband and I are going through a divorce. I live in Cali now, but he still lives in Nevada for now (might be moving across the country next year). Our boys are 3 and 18mos and there is no way in hell I would let them fly alone right now. Wouldn't even feel comforatble about doing that until they were both teenagers. 15 or 16. I don't just don't trust the flight attendents to watch over my child (since they are so busy with all the other passengers on the plane), to make sure no harm comes to them. Any ideas on how I can get out of having them fly alone to see him (I'd rather not have to fly with them to see him either)?
    My parents divorced when I was 4 and my brother was 2. My mother moved us to Louisiana where she was from and my father remained in California. We flew every summer to visit my dad's family in California but someone(my dad, aunt, uncle, or cousin) always flew out to get us. Once we were older...I think I was 8 or 9, we started flying alone. Flight attendants were supposed to walk us off the plane to the gate area(mind you, this was when people were allowed to wait in the gate area-now it's baggage claim only) but we always just got off ourselves, thanks to my independent rebellious streak. I don't even know that any of the flight attendants ever looked for us afterward. No way would I put my children on a plane alone unless they were responsible teenagers. It's unfortunate to have the added expense of an adult to travel with them, but it's a necessary expense. It's not worth the risk of something happening to your children.
    Last edited by lildago; 11-10-2009 at 04:59 PM.
    Getting lost will help you find yourself.

[QUOTE=lildago;3747234;]My parents divorced when I was 4 and my brother was 2. My mother moved us to Louisiana where she was from and my father remained in California. We flew every summer to visit my dad's family in California but someone(my dad, aunt, uncle, or cousin) always flew out to get us. Once we were older...I think I was 8 or 9, we started flying alone. Flight attendants were supposed to walk us off the plane to the gate area(mind you, this was when people were allowed to wait in the gate area-now it's baggage claim only) but we always just got off ourselves thanks to my independent rebellious streak. I don't even know that any of the flight attendants ever looked for us afterward. No way would I put my children on a plane alone unless they were responsible teenagers. It's unfortunate to have the added expense of an adult to travel with them, but it's a necessary expense. It's not worth the risk of something happening to your children.[/QUOTE]

That's how I feel. I would not feel comfortable putting them on a plane until they are teens. I would never forgive myself if something happened to one of them on the plane, or somehow got lost after getting off the flight. This is just one thing I'm gonna have to fight to make sure he's the one that has to come here and visit them, or he flys out here to pick them up and bring them back (which will get really expensive).

MRD

A friend of mine's daughter visited us last year and flew alone. She was 10. I was allowed to go through security and wait at the gate when she got off the plane and she was accompanied off the plane first before other passengers and handed directly over to me and I went through security and put her on the plane (she was put on first) and watched it fly away. She was never alone during any part of it. I had to show ID and her mother had to make arrangements and pay extra for the unaccompanied minor. SHe was also seated near the flight attendents seats so during landing and takeoff, they were right there.

I have a friend that would fly with her boys and made the ex pay for all their tickets. She made the roundtrip flight in a single day as she didn't want to have to be in the same state as he was.
    Last edited by MRD; 11-10-2009 at 10:27 PM.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

+ Reply to Thread