+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The Oasis - A spot for FORT parents

MRD

Re: The Oasis - A spot for FORT parents

Mine died 8 years ago and I still get surprised when I look in the mirror every morning and see her. Or hear her as I say something that she used to say. And that's not always a good thing.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Premium Member Yeti Long Shot: Porpoheus Champion

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3744603;
    Mine died 8 years ago and I still get surprised when I look in the mirror every morning and see her. Or hear her as I say something that she used to say. And that's not always a good thing.

I don't look like my mom - but boy do I ever have her mannerisms - as my kids love to point out. Hands on hips and taking everying in (ammo for future use, of course).

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by J.D.;3745095;
    I don't look like my mom - but boy do I ever have her mannerisms - as my kids love to point out. Hands on hips and taking everying in (ammo for future use, of course).

I do look like my mom, and as I got older I heard myself saying some of the things she used to say -- it takes a conscious effort to deviate from that path if you wish to. I too see her in the mirror. Real scary sometimes.....

What is even worse is when you look like your biological father (the asswipe) and you know it, and you know everyone else knows it. But the good thing is I have my Moms way of thinking and mannerisms.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

The phone rang at 3:00 this morning. If you're the parent of grown children you'll understand when I say I was hoping for a wrong number. It was my son, but nothing was wrong. He had been incommunicado for about a week and is in the middle of a very difficult phase of his life (couldn't get loans for his senior year of college). He had been working for an Eletrolux store and the owner was more than a little crazy. She calls me at home when she can't get ahold of him! He started working as a bouncer to pick up some extra money and is now waiting tables at the same place. He's working 17 hours a day between lunch, dinner, and bouncing their club at night, but making good money. The crazy vacuum lady went to the restaurant for lunch after calling me and he ended up quitting her job, but she did tell him I was worried, so he called me when he got off work. So I'm relieved he's doing well, glad he's not working for that crazy lady, and never got back to sleep *yawn*.
    Count your blessings!

You never stop worrying about your kids, no matter how old they get. I remember a few years ago, I hadn't heard from my daughter in awhile. I found out after she and her boyfriend broke up, that he was the one encouraging her to not contact her family, but that's a whole 'nother story. Anyway, I left her a message saying that if I didn't hear from her directly, that I was going to call the police department and ask them to do a welfare check to see if she was alright. She called me right away. "Mom, I can't have the police coming here. What would the neighbors think?" I told her I wanted a phone call at least once a week, or I couldn't guarantee what I'd do. Now that she's away from that guy, she calls me about 3 or 4 times a week.

Glad to hear your son is fine, Gutmutter. Is he going to work for awhile and save up for his Senior year? 17 hour days seems like a lot to us, but at his age, he probably takes it all in stride.
    When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down "Happy." They told me I didn't understand the assignment. I told them they didn't understand life. - John Lennon

We'll see if he ever gets that far ahead. Now that he's not in school his student loans are coming due. The "bouncing" job at the end of the day is mostly like hanging out at a club. Not much of what I'd call "work" involved. They love him because he doesn't drink or do drugs and he's huge - a 6'6" athlete, so he's imposing, but really gentle.
    Count your blessings!

I hadn't heard from my college student son and he hadn't been answering his phone, so Saturday I emailed him " ANSWER YOUR PHONE, or I'm coming up there". 15 minutes later my phone rang.
    Thank goodness for his mother fear! He was fine, just really busy.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by inthegarden;3746279;
    I hadn't heard from my college student son and he hadn't been answering his phone, so Saturday I emailed him " ANSWER YOUR PHONE, or I'm coming up there". 15 minutes later my phone rang.
    Thank goodness for his mother fear! He was fine, just really busy.

I raised two sons. They get caught up in their own worlds a lot more than girls do. My younger son traveled a lot in his last job, so if we did not hear from him he got an e-mail. That usually brings forth some sort of response.

This is question is for parents who are divorced and don't live in the same state. Do you let your kids fly on an airplane alone to see the other parent? My husband and I are going through a divorce. I live in Cali now, but he still lives in Nevada for now (might be moving across the country next year). Our boys are 3 and 18mos and there is no way in hell I would let them fly alone right now. Wouldn't even feel comforatble about doing that until they were both teenagers. 15 or 16. I don't just don't trust the flight attendents to watch over my child (since they are so busy with all the other passengers on the plane), to make sure no harm comes to them. Any ideas on how I can get out of having them fly alone to see him (I'd rather not have to fly with them to see him either)?

+ Reply to Thread