+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: The Oasis - A spot for FORT parents

  1. #5641
    Premium Member Yeti Long Shot: Porpoheus Champion
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    SLC, UT
    Posts
    3,160

    Re: The Oasis - A spot for FORT parents

    Quote Originally Posted by norealityhere;3742460;
    JD, I empathize with you.
    I certainly don't have all the answers on child rearing and, like most, have made errors along the way.
    However, I just cannot see removing a door on a bedroom unless there is a very good reason to do so.
    We all need a place to go to at times. And, that place should include a door.
    Thanks! I'll tell ya - I don't know what may have happened if my room didn't have a door! I love my kiddles dearly, but I also love my peace, quiet and down comforter now and then.

  2. #5642
    MRD
    MRD is offline
    FORT Fogey MRD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    somewhere resting
    Age
    52
    Posts
    16,893

    Re: The Oasis - A spot for FORT parents

    I knew better than to lock my door. My mom would have kicked it down. NO LIE.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

  3. #5643
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Among the flowers
    Posts
    1,403

    Re: The Oasis - A spot for FORT parents

    Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3743594;
    I knew better than to lock my door. My mom would have kicked it down. NO LIE.

    Mine, too, MRD!!! My mom was a very tough lady who didn't take anything from anybody, especially us kids.

    Talk to you later.

  4. #5644
    Premium Member Yeti Long Shot: Porpoheus Champion
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    SLC, UT
    Posts
    3,160

    Re: The Oasis - A spot for FORT parents

    Oh, I would never have dared lock my door, either - my mom would probably call in the SWAT team and use a battering ram to get to me. But shutting my door was another story - at least that was respected (to a point - I mean there was no knocking....). I've never even broached the subject with the kids' parents, though. I realize and accept that it's none of my business how they run their households - unless some sort of abuse is taking place. But I still don't agree with some of the decisions they make.

    So thanks everyone, and I have bitten many holes in my tongue over this subject, among others.

    It's nice to know I'm not alone in this.
    Last edited by J.D.; 11-05-2009 at 05:51 AM.

  5. #5645
    That's all folks! Unklescott's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Dublin, OH
    Posts
    26,558

    Re: The Oasis - A spot for FORT parents

    I shared a room with 3 older brothers. I wouldn't want to be locked in with them.

  6. #5646
    Premium Member Yeti Long Shot: Porpoheus Champion
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    SLC, UT
    Posts
    3,160

    Re: The Oasis - A spot for FORT parents

    Quote Originally Posted by Unklescott;3743808;
    I shared a room with 3 older brothers. I wouldn't want to be locked in with them.
    I hear that! I had two older brothers, and although we didn't share rooms, if we had, I'd have been carried out feet first!

  7. #5647
    MRD
    MRD is offline
    FORT Fogey MRD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    somewhere resting
    Age
    52
    Posts
    16,893

    Re: The Oasis - A spot for FORT parents

    Quote Originally Posted by Columbia, MD;3743806;
    Mine, too, MRD!!! My mom was a very tough lady who didn't take anything from anybody, especially us kids.

    Talk to you later.
    Did we have the same mother?

    I once saw my 5'2" mother literally kick my brother in the butt all the way out the door. He was 6' and 30 years old at the time. She sort of looked like a Rockette as she stepped and kicked, stepped and kicked. It sure was not funny at the time, but the story became family legend and we laughed a LOT about it later.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

  8. #5648
    FORT Fogey Lil Bit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Iowa
    Age
    55
    Posts
    3,577

    Re: The Oasis - A spot for FORT parents

    My sons girlfriend and I take a class together on Wednesday nights. A couple of weeks ago I had made barbequed ribs for supper. I said to Emily, "I hope they remembered to take the ribs out of the oven." Em said that she'd texted my son but he didn't reply. So I got my phone out and sent him a text. Within a minute he answered me. Emily got mad! "He will answer you but he ignores me?" So then I'm trying to smooth things over so my son doesn't end up in too much trouble. So I told her to cut him some slack, that "mom fear" never really goes away. The man sitting on the other side of me leaned over and looked at Emily and said, "She's right you know. I'm still scared of my mom and I'm 55 years old!"
    When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down "Happy." They told me I didn't understand the assignment. I told them they didn't understand life. - John Lennon

  9. #5649
    Premium Member Yeti Long Shot: Porpoheus Champion
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    SLC, UT
    Posts
    3,160

    Re: The Oasis - A spot for FORT parents

    Quote Originally Posted by Lil Bit;3743878;
    My sons girlfriend and I take a class together on Wednesday nights. A couple of weeks ago I had made barbequed ribs for supper. I said to Emily, "I hope they remembered to take the ribs out of the oven." Em said that she'd texted my son but he didn't reply. So I got my phone out and sent him a text. Within a minute he answered me. Emily got mad! "He will answer you but he ignores me?" So then I'm trying to smooth things over so my son doesn't end up in too much trouble. So I told her to cut him some slack, that "mom fear" never really goes away. The man sitting on the other side of me leaned over and looked at Emily and said, "She's right you know. I'm still scared of my mom and I'm 55 years old!"
    I love that story. I'm still afraid of my mom, too - and she passed away almost two years ago!

  10. #5650
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Among the flowers
    Posts
    1,403

    Re: The Oasis - A spot for FORT parents

    Quote Originally Posted by J.D.;3744328;
    I love that story. I'm still afraid of my mom, too - and she passed away almost two years ago!
    JD -- There is an expression that the call from the grave is almost the same as the call on the telephone. My mom has been gone since 1984 and I can still hear her..........someone I know calls them "the tapes in your head." You are not alone in that regard.....

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.