+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The Oasis - A spot for FORT parents

Re: The Oasis - A spot for FORT parents

I'm looking for the thread of advice if you have a child going to college. I found the one for if you're going to college yourself and the one for the process of getting into college. Can someone help me? I looked about 12 pages back until I was sure it wasn't further.
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;3594774;
    I'm looking for the thread of advice if you have a child going to college. I found the one for if you're going to college yourself and the one for the process of getting into college. Can someone help me? I looked about 12 pages back until I was sure it wasn't further.
    Is this the one you're thinking of... child fleeing nest ?
    remember to play

Thank you coltnlasma! That's the one.
    Count your blessings!

So today was the first day back to school for my kiddo, she's 9 now and she's of a very independant mind. Nothing I suggested to her was used or acknowledged today... not clothing or the makings for lunch. I let it roll off me for today.
    M got home full of stories and news about her class and teacher, she's in a 4/5 split and there are a few new kids to the school. M was most excited that she got to choose her own desk instead of being assigned a desk. Her dilemma was a) do I sit beside Conner (the behavioural needs kid) or b) the new girl? She said "mom, I chose the new girl because she would have been all alone and no one should be alone on their first day of school"
    No matter how mad she makes me with her insolence and drama queen antics I am so proud of her empathetic, caring heart.
    She also decided to start a book club with her friends. She got me to help her make a flyer, they are meeting at the tether ball pole tomorrow at afternoon recess to discuss specifics LOL I volunteered the house after school on Wednesdays for them to meet. OH to be that young and carefree again, where the most important thing in life is planning for recess.
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

That is too cool Duxxy.

You got a good girl, Duxxy.
    He who laughs last thinks slowest

#oldmanbeatdown - Donny BB16

Your daughter sounds like a wonderful young lady Duxxy.
    History will have to record that the greatest tragedy of this period of social transition was not the strident clamor of the bad people, but the appalling silence of the good people. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Premium Member Yeti Long Shot: Porpoheus Champion

I have a question. How does everyone feel about taking the doors off children's bedrooms? I am absolutely against having locks on their doors, of course. But do they deserve some sort of privacy? I've had a couple of family members remove their kids' doors - and I just don't understand - and, as usual with my family, they get offended when I ask why. I don't get it......

How sad... without a door, what is there to slam after storming off to the room in a huff?

My children are young (6 and 9), but doors at our home are still in place and lockable (with the little safety keys above on the doorframe ledge). I'm even planning on letting the kids move upstairs when they're a bit older, to have more of their "own space".
    remember to play

Premium Member Yeti Long Shot: Porpoheus Champion

I agree about the slamming!

One family took their teenage daughter's door off when she was about 14, and she left home at 15. (She's grown and married now.) I know if my parents had done that to me - well, it probably would have been traumatic, but then again, I'm a such delicate flower. The second family (both on the same side of the family) have taken the doors off the bedrooms of the 7-year-old and the 5-year-old girls, but the boy, 3, still has his door safely on the hinges. It makes me so sad to see this.

+ Reply to Thread