+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The Oasis - A spot for FORT parents

Re: The Oasis - A spot for FORT parents

Quote Originally Posted by sweet_lady;3428805;
    Anybody got any tips on how I can get my 3yr to eat his food? He used to eat everything you gave him (loves veggies and fruit), now not so much. Every meal is a hassle to get him to eat. He starts crying and covering his mouth and this is with food that he likes.
    I used to work for a pediatrician ad I've heard her say dozens of times that if the child isn't sick and the food is available, don't worry. They'll eat when they get hungry. Just put his food in front of him and ignore the rest. If he doesn't eat, don't offer any snacks but wait until the next meal.

MRD

Sweetlady, mine did the same thing and I agonized over it and my pediatrician said the same thing that Muduh did. If he's not sick, make the food available and when he's hungry he will eat. The worst thing to do is make drama out of it. If he cries, take the food away for a while and bring it back out later. Mine was 3 when she went through this stage too. My pediatrican also said not to worry so much about her getting a "balanced" meal daily, that look at it more weekly than daily. Good luck. Oh and I tried all kinds of tricks and nothing much worked. I made smily face sandwiches, and all that stuff. She finally ate when she was hungry and she's now 18 and turned out fine.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

I used to buy the supplement drinks for my son when he went through this. He would drink the strawberry flavored ones and it gave him almost all of the vitamins he was missing from the food he wouldn't eat.
    Yup, with donuts!!

Quote Originally Posted by Muduh;3429370;
    I used to work for a pediatrician ad I've heard her say dozens of times that if the child isn't sick and the food is available, don't worry. They'll eat when they get hungry. Just put his food in front of him and ignore the rest. If he doesn't eat, don't offer any snacks but wait until the next meal.
    I tried that this morning and afternoon and it worked. I just let him sit at the table by himself and went about my business taking care of my 1yr old. And he ate just fine. Thank you all for your advice.

Congrats sweet_lady! I'm glad it worked out for you!

Quote Originally Posted by sweet_lady;3431512;
    I tried that this morning and afternoon and it worked. I just let him sit at the table by himself and went about my business taking care of my 1yr old. And he ate just fine. Thank you all for your advice.
    Well I've been raising somebody's kids since I was 12 years old so many I've learned a thing or two by trial and error. Little kids learn very early how to push our buttons. Maybe he thinks that the baby is getting too much attention, whatever and this is a means of him taking control. Who knows what goes on in their devious little minds. Oh and another thing, don't fill his plate so full that he loses interest before he is finished. My mother in law used to fix the kids plates so full you'd think she was feeding a working man. I used to take one plate and divide it for my two kids. If they wanted more they could ask.

I need a bit of advice.

Last weekend a neighborhood friend of my 8-year-old son invited him to the ice rink to play hockey. He said they were going on Sunday from 1-3 p.m. My son was really looking forward to it. I told him to tell the friend's mom to call me so I could get particulars. Sunday morning came and I hadn't heard from her, so I called them and left a message asking what time he should come over, how much money I needed to send with him, anything else I needed to do, etc... and please call me back. I didn't hear back from her and my son was pretty upset. He was waiting around all excited until at 2 I told him that something must've happened and we found something else to do. On Monday his friend said they decided it was a family day.

Fast forward to yesterday. They invite him to go again and I told him no because it was rude that they didn't even call us last week to let us know their plans had changed, and we had planned on our own family day, swimming and smoking some meat. This morning my son goes to play with the friend and when they ask him why he can't go he tells them exactly what I said. The friend's mother then tells my son that he's not welcome at their house anymore. WTF??? I understand that I should've used a little more discretion around my 8-year-old, because they really don't know what's appropriate repeating material. But then again there is no way that mother should've reacted that way. We're not super friendly but our sons play together every day and have for the past two years at least! To top it off, the friend isn't the best sport and my son usually comes home once or twice a month because the friend has called him some name because he was winning at a game. I think it's a bit ridiculous that my son says something hurtful one time and he's treated this way when I have never treated their son this way.

So do you think I should call and apologize? I really don't want the kids to suffer, but then I'm having a hard time suppressing my pride.
    One of these days I'll stop being sensitive. Until then, I'll continue to be devastated on a daily basis. Life breaks my heart.

I'm not sure what you'd apologize for. Yeah, you were a little too plain spoken. I'd recognize THAT anywhere. (I used to work with a guy who said I believed in calling a spade a sh*t shovel) But you were truthful so I wouldn't think an apology would be necessary for speaking the truth. It seems to me that if a family REALLY wanted an eight year old to go somewhere with them they could contact a parent and set it up. Do you think that maybe this was more an understand between the boys and the parents weren't aware? Maybe you should just cool it for a while, let the kid in to play when he comes to your house and see how things play out. I wouldn't let your kid go back there though until they call YOU and invite him. That wouldn't be any hardship for me because I'd always rather the kids play here. I like to keep an eagle eye out.

What Muduh posted was exactly what I was thinking

Quote Originally Posted by gabriel;3432163;
    What Muduh posted was exactly what I was thinking
    Well that settles it! Next!

+ Reply to Thread