+ Reply to Thread
Page 56 of 572 FirstFirst ... 6464748495051525354555657585960616263646566106156556 ... LastLast

Thread: The Oasis - A spot for FORT parents

eny
    FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by hepcat
    The only other thing I can recommend for the two year olds - try to avoid situations that set them off. Not much help, but there you have it. I remember a time when grocery shopping was such a pain. We settled on "searching" the store for raisins (I tried my best to make it the last aisle) and that was the only thing she was allowed to open in the store. On a good day, she enjoyed looking at the shelves and it gave her something to concentrate on. If it wasn't going well, we went right over to them and that way she had her mouth stuffed with a chewy treat and couldn't yell.
    Does that ever bring back memories . If they have things they like stuffed in their mouth , they don't yell. My son was with me in the store a week ago ( He's 14 now) and some poor mom was with a toddler having a meltdown. He looked at me and said can't she DO something with that kid? I just laughed and said "don't even go there" He was insulted at the suggestion that he'd pulled the rolling on the floor in the middle of the store gig.

I look forward to the day that my kids are in disbelief that they ever acted that way in public....

I always bring some sort of food for my daughter when we are out and about....and we always stop by the books/mag in whatever store we are in so she can sit in the cart and look at it....usually works...We don't buy them necessarily....just look at them....I also have a little "this too shall pass" mantra that I say over and over again under my breath.....
    ---------------------
    opps....

I've never had a problem with my kids in stores. *ducks to avoid flying rocks* If I take them to Wal-Mart, I often tell my oldest that we'll stop for french fries in McDonald's if she can behave herself. It's a no-fail for me, because a couple of times we did indeed leave without the treat because she got whiny or misbehaved. Never underestimate the power of carrying through with a threat
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

My son (child #2) was so good in the grocery store, that when he went to 4-year preschool I would not waste those 2.5 hours, three days a week doing grocery shopping. I gladly took him with me. He was content to sit in the proper seat and chatter away to everyone, other customers, stockers, clerks. The store I frequented the most closed last year when he was almost 11 and I still had employees asking about him by name.

However, my daughter, child #1, ruined him during the next summer vacation. She was 8 and he was 5, and she asked for everything and encouraged him to too! Arrrrrgh! Fortunately they were past the pitching fits stage, just a lot of whining and complaining. My mantra was if it isn't on the list, we're not getting it. Of course my smart girl took to adding to my list!!!

Now at 14 and 11, they are fairly helpful on the rare occasions that they go with me.
    "Fish are friends, not food, but everything else is fair game." ~ Pating, Survivor Cagayan Pool

*ducks with AJ* I've never had a problem with my 4 yr old while shopping .. she's been shopping with me since she was 6 days old LOL. When she was young we brought a 'colouring board' with us (mini Magna Doodle) and that kept her busy forever, now she doesn't bring any of that stuff anymore, she's patient but in WalMart we have to stop and see the fish and at the grocery store we have to stop and see the lobster and decorated birthday cakes. A small price to pay.
    This is totally my fault.. she gets 'a little something' every time we go to the mall, a book, a small toy, smarties or mini reese's pieces. I'm a push over. I don't tell her it's a reward, I just buy it for her.
    I noticed that she's starting to ask for more and more things all the time - she's encouraged by one of her little friends to compete for crap off the tv. When I say no she takes it in stride.

getting her to stay quiet for her full 'quiet time' during the day is a whole different story!
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

My almost-5 year old is strangely obsessed with seeing the lobsters too, Dux...she always asks if they know they're going to get eaten she saw The Simpsons episode where Homer kept the lobster in the bathtub and wanted to try that too
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

My daughter is a member of the lobster fan club too. She has to visit them during every supermarket visit.
    Some people are like slinkies, they're useless until you push them down the stairs.

Are these spots becoming? chompstick's Avatar
    Count us in on the lobsters.
    I support the right to arm bears.

MIA, RIP, or Busy...
    How unbelievably funny. I thought my kids were the only ones interested in the "Monsters" (their nickname for the lobster tank).
    A Bachelor fan til it dies a slow death and oddly enough, A Rock of Love fan...finest hair extensions from Europe and all. ;-)

To my daughter, they are the bugga-buggas. Don't know why. Her name, not mine. She's fascinated, though.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

+ Reply to Thread