+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: The Oasis - A spot for FORT parents

Re: The Oasis - A spot for FORT parents

Wow, where to begin. My husband who is currently deployed to the desert, just told me that his 17yr old son got his 16yr old gf pregnant. I told my husband it would happen when they both got kicked out of there parents house and moved to Texas with family, but he didn't believe me. My stepson had stayed with us a while back after he was kicked out by his mom, but that didn't last long. He was continuing the same bad behavior at our house that got him kicked out in the first place, and I wasn't haven't it with small children around. So he went back to live with his mom. My husband probably thought he learned his lesson since he had a scare with some girl he cheated on his gf (same one that's pregnant now) with while he was living with us. Both are high school dropouts too. I think the best thing he could do is get his GED and join the military, so he can provide for kid. I know my husband will try to help as much as he can but ultimately Anthony is going to have to step up to the plate and take care of his responsibilites.

Oh and I hope they come up with a male birth control pill or something so that when my 2 boys get to that age I can make take them. I know you have to teach them skills so they can make the right choices in life but I just wouldn't want to chance it. I would want them to graduate from hs and college and have a career before they started having kids.
    Last edited by sweet_lady; 04-07-2009 at 03:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sweet_lady;3405586;
    Wow, where to begin. My husband who is currently deployed to the desert, just told me that his 17yr old son got his 16yr old gf pregnant. I told my husband it would happen when they both got kicked out of there parents house and moved to Texas with family, but he didn't believe me. My stepson had stayed with us a while back after he was kicked out by his mom, but that didn't last long. He was continuing the same bad behavior at our house that got him kicked out in the first place, and I wasn't haven't it with small children around. So he went back to live with his mom. My husband probably thought he learned his lesson since he had a scare with some girl he cheated on his gf (same one that's pregnant now) with while he was living with us. Both are high school dropouts too. I think the best thing he could do is get his GED and join the military, so he can provide for kid. I know my husband will try to help as much as he can but ultimately Anthony is going to have to step up to the plate and take care of his responsibilites.

Oh and I hope they come up with a male birth control pill or something so that when my 2 boys get to that age I can make take them. I know you have to teach them skills so they can make the right choices in life but I just wouldn't want to chance it. I would want them to graduate from hs and college and have a career before they started having kids.
    Have them neutered at a few months like I did with Joey.

MRD

I'd say the military is probably the best place for him. And I believe that they are currently taking people without GED's as long as they get it while in the service. I'm not sure on that one, but they have lowered the requirements because they couldn't make recruiting quotas.

The military is a great place for a boy to become a man. I know several people that it has helped immensely and a couple that ended up making careers out of it and one that has been able to earn his bachelor's degree and master's degree while in the service. When he retires next year after his 20 year hitch he will be 42 years old and employable along with all the benefits of having completed 20 years in the Army.

I'm sorry that you are having to go through this situation. Seems like the girls parents would have done something to ensure that she didn't get pregnant. Heck, the girl could go to the health department or planned parenthood and get birth control on her own. But it's too late for that.

But neither stand much of a chance of getting anywhere in life as HS dropouts with no GED and a baby. The military is one of the very few places that will give them a chance.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3405765;
    I'd say the military is probably the best place for him. And I believe that they are currently taking people without GED's as long as they get it while in the service. I'm not sure on that one, but they have lowered the requirements because they couldn't make recruiting quotas.
    We have a friend that didn't have a diploma. They did accept him, but he had to get his GED before even going through basic. He's near my age, so somewhere around 40. After this long he finally has a GED and a purpose in life. He's now finished with basic and working on the next step.

Quote Originally Posted by gabriel;3405707;
    Have them neutered at a few months like I did with Joey.

This should have come with a spit-take warning!
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3405765;

The military is a great place for a boy to become a man. I know several people that it has helped immensely and a couple that ended up making careers out of it and one that has been able to earn his bachelor's degree and master's degree while in the service. When he retires next year after his 20 year hitch he will be 42 years old and employable along with all the benefits of having completed 20 years in the Army.

I'm sorry that you are having to go through this situation. Seems like the girls parents would have done something to ensure that she didn't get pregnant. Heck, the girl could go to the health department or planned parenthood and get birth control on her own. But it's too late for that.

But neither stand much of a chance of getting anywhere in life as HS dropouts with no GED and a baby. The military is one of the very few places that will give them a chance.
    He definitely needs it. Just wish my husband was here to help give him some guidance with this whole mess.

MRD

When I met my husband, he had just gotten out of the Army. I met him through mutual friends that were his exact age, which was 23 years old. The other guys that were 23 acted so immature and childish and I could tell right away that this guy was a MAN. He was so different. Very self confident, very responsible, take charge (but without being a jerk about it), everything those other guys were NOT. I know that is what initially attracted me to him and he has lived his life so differently in the past 25 years than all of those other guys. Oh, they've done well, but there is still something about my husband that is different and I can usually tell when I meet a man now if he has been in uniform before. It's almost a completely different bearing than those that have not served. Not saying that it's better or worse, just different. Although looking at my husband today, no one would EVER accuse him of being military as the whole neatness aspect of it has completely disappeared in him. I tell him now that I can't imagine him having ever passed any inspections of barracks or uniform and equipment.

I do all my kids' taxes - they're 22, 21, and 18 so they should be learning to do their own, but there you are. Anyway, the oldest one lived in Florida for 10 months of last year and only 2 here in Mass. She hasn't been able to afford health insurance, which is is required and penalized monthly through your tax return amount. So I put off doing her state taxes until today and didn't know how to figure it all out. When I went online, I found out Florida doesn't have state income tax! So I don't have to file there. A quck call to H&R Block confirmed that for what little she made here, I don't have to file. The state taxes they took out would have been eaten up by the insurance penalty anyway, so my afternoon of being tied up in knots just unraveled! Yea!
    Count your blessings!

MRD

One of the benefits I miss about living in Florida. They make up for state income taxes in sales tax and tourist taxes (hotels, restaurants, etc).

I do all my kids' taxes - they're 22, 21, and 18 so they should be learning to do their own . . .
    No kidding! I've been doing my own taxes since age 18 -- my parents were firm about that. (It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out a 1040-EZ or short . . .)
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

+ Reply to Thread